Advice/Help What is your favorite part of a discord roleplay server? What attracts you as a player

KAOS

I'm back I'm back I'm back
Roleplay Type(s)
What is your favorite part of a discord roleplay server? Is it the plot channels? Is it the funny channels? Do you like a layout which is colorful and full of emoji's or do you enjoy a more minimalist look?

Please do answer only if you are for discord servers. This is not a thread made to bash discord as an avenue at all.

So I think for me it’s the same thing as a thread on RPN.

1. Organization : I want to have a clear idea of what the rules are for the server and be able to find everything easily.

So as such labeling everything and making it so I can easily find the rules (and distinquish the admin from the players) is important.

2. Monitoring behavior. This is what kills roleplays, and my experience discord actually seems to amplify this problem.

People get into petty squabbles or start forming little cliques to bad mouth specific people on the server. So absolutely you need to find the right mods that can take shifts keeping an eye on the server 24/7 to make sure players aren’t starting mini wars with one another.

3. Optional Extras : So as someone who hates when I am at work and getting like 50 notifications on my phone a minute, perhaps some kind of tutorial for folks who aren’t familiar with Discord to tell them how to mute or whatever.

So I think for me it’s the same thing as a thread on RPN.

1. Organization : I want to have a clear idea of what the rules are for the server and be able to find everything easily.

So as such labeling everything and making it so I can easily find the rules (and distinquish the admin from the players) is important.

2. Monitoring behavior. This is what kills roleplays, and my experience discord actually seems to amplify this problem.

People get into petty squabbles or start forming little cliques to bad mouth specific people on the server. So absolutely you need to find the right mods that can take shifts keeping an eye on the server 24/7 to make sure players aren’t starting mini wars with one another.

3. Optional Extras : So as someone who hates when I am at work and getting like 50 notifications on my phone a minute, perhaps some kind of tutorial for folks who aren’t familiar with Discord to tell them how to mute or whatever.

I usually implement timers if I have problematic players or when I don't have time (theycaninboxmeandi'llseeitwheniwishtorespond) .

Or, I just boot them.

woody-toy-story.gif

Thank you for the input I'll keep organization in mind and legible titles. Oh, and I love making categories for players and admins. Too true that is very important. :)

I vastly prefer OOC to be in a Discord, but what I really want there is fairly simple:

- Easy access to important information - mostly, especially for already-established threads or stories with a lot of players and characters (which is...a lot of them these days), a convenient capsule summary for each player character. I will just about always write these for my own use even if it's not there already.

- A general discussion area, because I like to natter on about things.

- A What's Going On In The Story area, updated whenever it's important. What counts for "important" will vary from group to group and story to story. For mystery stories, this is a great place to put The Clues You Know About.

- An "Ask the GM" area, if the general-discussion area is too busy.

Past that, it's a matter of preference, so far as I care. I know there are a lot of GMs that really put a lot of effort into highly-curated Discord experiences, and that's great! My preference is always simplicity and low friction; make it easy to ask questions, easy to get answers, and easy to catch up.

I generally prefer the OOC to be on Discord over on RPN specifically because in my personal opinion, organization on Discord is better than on RPN.

1. In regards to organization, I like to see the different channels separated into related categories, so for instance, the welcome channel, announcements, introductions, etc would be in a category separated from the general chatting, memes, etc channels.

2. This is moreso a personal preference, but I like whatever topic that is being discussed to stay in the related channel. So for instance, talking about anime or manga would stay in the general chatting channel rather than in the plotting channel where it can clutter up the space for people trying to plot.

3. I also think a directory channel would be a nice addition, especially if there are a lot of channels. Discord has a feature where you can directly link to a specific channel, so to me this makes it easy to find what channel you're looking for.

I vastly prefer OOC to be in a Discord, but what I really want there is fairly simple:

- Easy access to important information - mostly, especially for already-established threads or stories with a lot of players and characters (which is...a lot of them these days), a convenient capsule summary for each player character. I will just about always write these for my own use even if it's not there already.

- A general discussion area, because I like to natter on about things.

- A What's Going On In The Story area, updated whenever it's important. What counts for "important" will vary from group to group and story to story. For mystery stories, this is a great place to put The Clues You Know About.

- An "Ask the GM" area, if the general-discussion area is too busy.

Past that, it's a matter of preference, so far as I care. I know there are a lot of GMs that really put a lot of effort into highly-curated Discord experiences, and that's great! My preference is always simplicity and low friction; make it easy to ask questions, easy to get answers, and easy to catch up.
No I truly feel this comment. I have poor eyesight. Enough so if someone took my glasses off I wouldn't be able to see like two steps in front of me lol
Aging is really impacting my ability to read. I actually have to blow up most posts on this site to comprehend them. So I completely understand. Generally the most I'd have is an icon which can be easily seen and deciphered as a subject too to keep a bit of exrtra visual stimulous for our friends with vision disabilities.

Not to mention, I also can not see in dim light. So, if I'm in a dimly lited area. There is too much dark in your posting. My eyes literally can't see it.

(off topic but very funny if I'm ever put in a dark room and have to navigate it lots of bumps and owies)

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back