Idea walkin attempt 2, for New people....

Megatron2024

Roleplay Availability
Roleplay Type(s)
I would like someone to start a walk-in roleplaying section. No sheets. This would be for new people who don't know how to make sheets.
Let me be truthful, people don't read character backgrounds over 1k words. I need someone on this. I am not experienced enough to do it. I'm a new person to roleplaying. I wish I had the experience to do this.

Last edited:
Normally everyone in walkin is the same character. Different names, different genders. Maybe a different color too? Mincraft is a great example of a walkin game to roleplay.
However on some roleplaying sites walkins are made around a company. Maybe a place to eat? Like Roblox characters, everyone is the same.
In advaned walkin rp, there are, maybe 3 or 4 premade characters to select from: different clothing or colors: but the same person. Good example of that is Overcooked.

Last edited:
I know because everyone is the same: some players do wild and crazy things to stand out. Just do what other roleplaying groups do: don't do evil post, keep it short, 8 or 9 lined each post: no books. Always keep it PG-13 and no god roleplaying: dont take control of other characters. always uphold the websites rules and TOS, even if the walkin is underground, in a dance club, or even if I dare say: a bar.

This would give new users experience interacting with a place, and learning how to do roleplaying without a character. Playing with advanced characters would come later. In other sites: Not Rpnation, for some reason? real experienced roleplayerd bend over backwards to do this to spread the joy of roleplaying to new people.

The downside is that walkin roleplaying is for new people and is often used as recruitment by experienced players. Most experienced players help new walkin players become more advanced by roleplaying with them. Newbies develop their skills off experienced players. Once the newbie is experienced: 9 timed out of 10: the newbie, now experienced normally joins the advaned roleplay of their teacher. However, not always.

'Most' experienced players here have more then one roleplay, and don't have the time to do this. I think that's why some newbies have problems jumping right in or end up by themselve or get ignored, or end up in endless one on one searches??? if experienced players don't play with newbies, the roleplaying experience will no grow, and in time could die off completely. we need text roleplaying to grow, because what kids call roleplaying now is crazy: vrchat is not roleplaying: just saying.

Last edited:
This would be for new people who don't know how to make sheets.
New people can learn how to fill out character sheets! It truthfully isn't too difficult. They can also ask for help if they are a bit lost.

Let me be truthful, people don't read character backgrounds over 1k words.
I would probably read a 1k word background, given it's written well! It's a bit lengthy but not impossible. Maybe I'm an outlier in that, though :P 1k words only takes an average of about 3-5 minutes to read.

It's true that "walk-in RPs", as you've called them, are probably where most of us started with RP. This was mainly because we were all young once, and basically just played pretend on websites and games that weren't actually meant for that. As such, the RPs there are MUCH more casual.

I used to RP a little on a niche flash game called Everybody Edits - so I'm definitely not dunking on it.

At the same time, when you go to a site that is explicitly dedicated to RP, people are gonna be muuuuch more serious about it. It's a hobby that they are willing to commit to more than throwing a few sentences out in a video game chat room that won't be saved.

Going from chat rooms and walk-ins to forum RPing (RpNation) can be compared to travelling to another country - the cultural difference isn't BAD, just different. And while a lot of newbies start with walk-in RPs, like you said, we ALSO get newbies here all the time who browse the interest checks, fill out character sheets, and ask questions with a sincere desire to learn how everything works. It isn't an insurmountable task.

RpN is honestly great for that. If you don't know what an interest check is, that's totally fine! You can ask around and someone will probably explain it pretty well. If you are confused by a spot on a character sheet, that's alright! You can message the person who runs the roleplay and ask for clarification, or maybe some ideas. If you aren't catching any rp partners, that's really rough, but if you ask for another set of eyes on your search methods then a lot of people here are willing to check and see if you're doing anything wrong! They can give you really good, helpful feedback that can improve your writing and philosophy, if you can take a bit of constructive criticism.

People are generally extremely willing to help someone who is willing to learn.

This is just the culture on RpN. I've been on here for 8 years, and I HAVE seen some more casual RPs around (even done some, myself!), but I don't think I've ever seen what you're looking for here last very long-term. But like I said, being a newbie doesn't make all the rest of these RPs impossible to join, so long as you keep your chin up and approach it with curiosity rather than fear or distaste.

If you want to stick around on RpN, I recommend the mantra "When in Rome, do what the Romans do". You can learn a lot that way!

And If you decide that this more formal style of RP is not for you, then I sincerely hope you find what you're looking for somewhere on-site, but you may want to also search in other places too, just to have a higher chance of finding what you like!

Last edited:
I would also suggest looking at 1x1s. That is where two people roleplay together rather than a roleplay where multiple people are writing as a group.

Those don’t necessarily require character sheets and some people are perfectly happy to start after agreeing on a simple setting.

They do tend to be a bit more romance themed then you may be used to but if your willing to give that a try I think it would be a helpful learning space.

As

New people can learn how to fill out character sheets! It truthfully isn't too difficult. They can also ask for help if they are a bit lost.

I would probably read a 1k word background, given it's written well! It's a bit lengthy but not impossible. Maybe I'm an outlier in that, though :P 1k words only takes an average of about 3-5 minutes to read.

It's true that "walk-in RPs", as you've called them, are probably where most of us started with RP. This was mainly because we were all young once, and basically just played pretend on websites and games that weren't actually meant for that. As such, the RPs there are MUCH more casual.

I used to RP a little on a niche flash game called Everybody Edits - so I'm definitely not dunking on it.

At the same time, when you go to a site that is explicitly dedicated to RP, people are gonna be muuuuch more serious about it. It's a hobby that they are willing to commit to more than throwing a few sentences out in a video game chat room that won't be saved.

Going from chat rooms and walk-ins to forum RPing (RpNation) can be compared to travelling to another country - the cultural difference isn't BAD, just different. And while a lot of newbies start with walk-in RPs, like you said, we ALSO get newbies here all the time who browse the interest checks, fill out character sheets, and ask questions with a sincere desire to learn how everything works. It isn't an insurmountable task.

RpN is honestly great for that. If you don't know what an interest check is, that's totally fine! You can ask around and someone will probably explain it pretty well. If you are confused by a spot on a character sheet, that's alright! You can message the person who runs the roleplay and ask for clarification, or maybe some ideas. If you aren't catching any rp partners, that's really rough, but if you ask for another set of eyes on your search methods then a lot of people here are willing to check and see if you're doing anything wrong! They can give you really good, helpful feedback that can improve your writing and philosophy, if you can take a bit of constructive criticism.

People are generally extremely willing to help someone who is willing to learn.

This is just the culture on RpN. I've been on here for 8 years, and I HAVE seen some more casual RPs around (even done some, myself!), but I don't think I've ever seen what you're looking for here last very long-term. But like I said, being a newbie doesn't make all the rest of these RPs impossible to join, so long as you keep your chin up and approach it with curiosity rather than fear or distaste.

If you want to stick around on RpN, I recommend the mantra "When in Rome, do what the Romans do". You can learn a lot that way!

And If you decide that this more formal style of RP is not for you, then I sincerely hope you find what you're looking for somewhere on-site, but you may want to also search in other places too, just to have a higher chance of finding what you like!
Ok. I understand that. thats all good stuff. but some of the people on here talk like Trump because they are well experienced. there is a bad side too. Who does this? why?

'I was in a battle with a troll. It was a great battle. It was a great troll. I rolled a 5 on the final attack. It was a great roll. It was my best 5 roll, and maybe the best 5 roll of all time according to everyone alive.'

Just an example.
Thats a soft example, and there is alot of darker stuff then that.

Ok. I understand that. thats all good stuff. but some of the people on here talk like Trump because they are well experienced. there is a bad side too. Who does this? why?

'I was in a battle with a troll. It was a great battle. It was a great troll. I rolled a 5 on the final attack. It was a great roll. It was my best 5 roll, and maybe the best 5 roll of all time according to everyone alive.'

Just an example.
Thats a soft example, and there is alot of darker stuff then that.
What kinds of stuff have you been hearing around, out of curiosity? Have people been super rude to you?
Obviously don't name names, lol, but I'm curious... since aside from the political reference, that just sounds like someone being excited for their RP.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting.

What kinds of stuff have you been hearing around, out of curiosity? Have people been super rude to you?
Obviously don't name names, lol, but I'm curious... since aside from the political reference, that just sounds like someone being excited for their RP.

Maybe I'm misinterpreting.
lol! kindof! If you want to read some really hardcore rude comments that are said to be roleplaying..............
Quest Roleplaying is so bad.... lol

lol! kindof! If you want to read some really hardcore rude comments that are said to be roleplaying..............
Quest Roleplaying is so bad.... lol
Are you talking about people's characters being rude? Or are the players themselves being rude? Because if the players are bullying you personally, then that may be against RpNation's Community Guidelines.

Are you talking about people's characters being rude? Or are the players themselves being rude? Because if the players are bullying you personally, then that may be against RpNation's Community Guidelines.
no not bullying. im though. im thick skinned.

Hey Megatron2024 Megatron2024

I'd be curious to get updates on how things turned out with this idea. I don't consider myself picky so I'd have no issues with participating in that kind of RP.

Currently I can't spare the time to commit to any more stories. Might not be for a while.

That being said mayhaps I'll message you some day or something? I only did a walk in rp maybe once many years ago.

The Achilles heel for me was a mass ghosting/Exodus (I was not the creator or GM). But it was fun and took me for a wild turn. I was (as usual) the last user still waiting for replies, if not the last poster entirely.

Hey Megatron2024 Megatron2024

I'd be curious to get updates on how things turned out with this idea. I don't consider myself picky so I'd have no issues with participating in that kind of RP.

Currently I can't spare the time to commit to any more stories. Might not be for a while.

That being said mayhaps I'll message you some day or something? I only did a walk in rp maybe once many years ago.

The Achilles heel for me was a mass ghosting/Exodus (I was not the creator or GM). But it was fun and took me for a wild turn. I was (as usual) the last user still waiting for replies, if not the last poster entirely.
I assume not fantastic, as they left RpN.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back