• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Realistic or Modern the malloy academy // waiting room

Characters
Here
The barn vs stable one is a little wibblier in the US, most folks I know use them interchangeably. Might be more of a regional thing?
Idk it might just be kind of what you were taught? Because I live in the North West and while we use it interchangeably, stables strictly are applied to where we keep the horses and barns are mostly for farm use and whatnot. But idk maybe I’m wrong lolll

Idk it might just be kind of what you were taught? Because I live in the North West and while we use it interchangeably, stables strictly are applied to where we keep the horses and barns are mostly for farm use and whatnot. But idk maybe I’m wrong lolll
in the northeast it’s the same. stables pretty much = horses. barns = other farm animals or like sometimes even storage

I'm from the north east, and stables were also just for horses, but that was...also not really commonly used outside of the actual names of riding or show farms? Mostly they were all just barns lol. Even if you kept your horse at something with stable in the name, you'd say "i'm going to the barn".

Idk if that's just a yankee thing. horses are farm animals too.

in the northeast it’s the same. stables pretty much = horses. barns = other farm animals or like sometimes even storage
I think the US just adopted a lot of UK slang and terminology but it depends on probably your environment if you pick them up and use them. Like I use a lot of slang from the UK and I know some ppl look at me like 👁👁

omg you’ve lived in scotland too?? i studied abroad there. best place in the world !!!

I'm headed up there next week to look at properties, I'm hoping to move up there.

It wouldn't surprise me if there was regional variation, you get variation it the UK and that's a fraction of the geographical area. You do get barn used sometimes in the UK for buildings that horses are kept in, sometimes specified as 'American-style barn', with loose boxes lining one or both sides of the inside. What would you call a line of stables built in a row as a single building all opening to the outside with split doors (which is the default horse accommodation that I'm used to for non-draft horses)?

I'm from the north east, and stables were also just for horses, but that was...also not really commonly used outside of the actual names of riding or show farms? Mostly they were all just barns lol. Even if you kept your horse at something with stable in the name, you'd say "i'm going to the barn".

Idk if that's just a yankee thing. horses are farm animals too.
Interesting. Where I live, everything is just stables if it relates to horses, regardless of it being a show farm.

What would you call a line of stables built in a row as a single building all opening to the outside with split doors (which is the default horse accommodation that I'm used to for non-draft horses)?

These don't really exist in America except at race tracks to my knowledge! Where they're called shedrows iirc.

Interesting. Where I live, everything is just stables if it relates to horses, regardless of it being a show farm.

I'm going to chalk this up to being raised in new england, where most folks just keep horses in the same barns as their cows and think stables is too fancy to say lmao

I think the most basic difference in the US between a barn and stable would be just a stable is strictly meant for horses even if it’s just a boarding facility whereas a barn is for housing that has more than just horses there. If that clears anything up.

^ I think that is usually true and I'm just from gremlin people who refuse to differentiate.
Lol no worries. I just wanted to clear it up so everyone kind of is on the same page with terms and slang lmaoooo since we share a lot with the UK

social social just a quick question, do you have a limit of characters you’d like us to apply with? I have an idea and it would be with two or three characters that are siblings. I figured I’d check before I got started :closed eyes open smile:
No limit! Just make sure they are all different disciplines so it’s evened out!

Heads up, I'm away until Thursday. May be able to check in on my phone but it's a teeny screen so hard to read and nasty to post.

Having read all the character sheets, I cannot wait for any one of them to have to deal with Sasha, who has never had anything bad happen to him once in his life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back