• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy The Last Days of the Shifters [CLOSED]

Lost Martian

Get in the robot!
In the world of Avideanne humanity has begun to cast away their supernatural beliefs, the age of magic finally beginning to pass on. However that is not to say that all things supernatural don’t still exist, however they’ve had to hide from the wider world. Existing in small communities within the rest of the human society, these last magical beings are just trying to exist in a world where the myths and legends are fading away.

One group of magic beings who are holding on against this changing world are the shape-shifters. Humans who had ancestors that mated with animal spirits of the Umbra, the spiritual realm just beyond the natural world, the shape-shifters have the ability to transform into an animal form, or even a mixed human and animal form. The shape-shifters were once a great power in Avideanne, commanding respect from both fellow magical beings and regular human alike. Now they are a shadow of their former power, existing only in the shadows.

There is a concerted effort in Avideanne to eliminate the last bits of magic. Known as the Inquisition, it’s a secret society that shields the wider public from the knowledge that magic still exists. While on one hand denying the existence of magic, they also do everything they can to stomp it out. No one is quite sure who exactly leads the Inquisition, though there are theories like Kings, merchant lords, or even the Church. But regardless of who is in command, the Inquisition is a powerful force that is attempting to change all of Avideanne.

Our story begins on the west coast of Durmain, a prosperous kingdom that is more technologically advanced than there neighbors. Despite the facade of progress, there is still a sizable population of magic beings existing just below the surface of society. This includes a clan of shape-shifters, one who just popped up on the radar of the Inquisition. Will these shape-shifters be able to survive in a world that is increasingly becoming not meant for them?

So I’ve played in shape-shifter roleplays before but never ran my own. That was until this idea started forming in my head. Set in an original fantasy world, this roleplay would focus on shape-shifters, so stuff like werewolves, werebears, or any other possible animal human combination. Born as humans, save their natural magical talent, shape-shifters gain the ability to shift around puberty, initially becoming their spirit animal, but eventually learning to become a mixed human animal form.

Each player will be a member of a shape-shifter clan hiding out in an advanced kingdom, trying to avoid the Inquisition. I’m pretty open on what animal each player is based on, with most animals from Earth being allowed, and I might even consider mythic creatures like gryphons and dragons, but that would be on a case to case basis.

I’m looking for a mid size group of about four to seven players. Right now I’m thinking I’ll allow two characters per player. So if you have any interest in a shape-shifter roleplay please feel free to post here to let me know. Also if you have any questions about the setting or character ideas, I’ll be happy to answer.

Last edited:
This sounds pretty cool, I’m interested

Greetings & Salutations,

am interested too! Hm, I thought about it, and I need to finish a few things before I stake a claim here

Last edited:
SavannahSmiles SavannahSmiles Garrett.Hawke Garrett.Hawke BuggaBoo BuggaBoo Yahhah Yahhah Peckinou Peckinou Genchill Genchill Dokka Dokka Northe Northe

Wow, glad to see so many people interested this fast! This is easily enough for me to start working on an OOC and Characters thread. And to answer the question, yes we will be doing OOC by a thread on RPN.

So while I’m working on those threads, I’d like to know if anyone has any character ideas, or even what kind of shape-shifter they want to be. I’d love to know as it will help form the story in my head.

SavannahSmiles SavannahSmiles Garrett.Hawke Garrett.Hawke BuggaBoo BuggaBoo Yahhah Yahhah Peckinou Peckinou Genchill Genchill Dokka Dokka Northe Northe

Wow, glad to see so many people interested this fast! This is easily enough for me to start working on an OOC and Characters thread. And to answer the question, yes we will be doing OOC by a thread on RPN.

So while I’m working on those threads, I’d like to know if anyone has any character ideas, or even what kind of shape-shifter they want to be. I’d love to know as it will help form the story in my head.
I'm still jumping between ideas but the first species for the shapeshifter I was drawn to is probably on the weirder side, that being a mammoth.

Do you think it'd be possible that some species that died out on Earth are still extant on Avideanne? Or do you think it'd be possible a shifter could become an animal that is otherwise extinct since the magic they're connected to has to do with ancient bloodlines?

I could definitely pick something else if you're against the idea

Last edited:
yeah top 3 i was thinkin:

- Panther with cool dude edgelord vibes
- Tiger with aggressive badass attitude
- Owl with kinda goofy, but witty adorkableness.

What style FC you thinkin?

I'm interested, although I see you were looking for a mid-sized group, so if you're no longer accepting, I can move along.

Yahhah Yahhah
I’m fine with you being a mammoth shifter, as since this is an original fantasy setting I could just say mammoths aren’t fully extinct yet. But your mention of ancient bloodlines allowing for shifters to have an extinct animal form has given me an idea. We can say that all magical creatures, like unicorns, dragons, phoenix, etc, were wiped out by the Inquisition, but there are still a few shifters left of those bloodlines. Basically it allows a lot more freedom with animal form selection.

Peckinou Peckinou
I’m fine with receiving ideas via DM.

phibglib phibglib
Glad that you’re interested! And a cat-shifter would work.

BuggaBoo BuggaBoo
I like your owl-shifter idea the best, but since I’m allowing two characters per player, you could pick another character out of the other two, or even just ignore my suggestion, whatever works for you. As far as Face Claims go I’m really open, so you could do real people, art, or anything in between.

SavannahSmiles SavannahSmiles
A fox-shifter would totally fit in.

Rusty Angel Rusty Angel
While I did say I was looking for a mid size group, as I wasn’t expecting this much interest, I am going to pivot the story somewhat to accommodate a larger group. As such I will allow you a space in this roleplay if you want it.

Northe Northe
A bird or salamander would be interesting, though I’m leaning more towards salamander as I’ve never seen anyone play a salamander-shifter before. However if you can’t decide between the two, perhaps do both as I’m allowing two characters per player.

EdgyCryptid EdgyCryptid
Like I mentioned above I’m changing the roleplay up a little bit to allow for a larger group. As such I’m offering you a space in the roleplay if you are still interested.

ANNOUNCEMENT

Since I’ve gotten way more interest than I thought I would get, I’m going to stop accepting new players. Everyone who has previously posted here is given a spot in the roleplay, but to everyone else this roleplay is closed. I hope to get the OOC and Characters thread up in the next few days.

A bird or salamander would be interesting, though I’m leaning more towards salamander as I’ve never seen anyone play a salamander-shifter before. However if you can’t decide between the two, perhaps do both as I’m allowing two characters per player.
Sounds good! I'll work on the salamander first, but I always love a good bird! Thank you!

I am aware you have closed the thread, but I am going to post here to track for when you hopefully have an open spot in the future.

Depending on the setting, if a hare doesn't fit, then a dog-shifter.

I'd play both, but if I do a second character, I'm leaning towards a mythical one.

Are we also creating backstories for their specific family lines (and/or clans)? This may be an obvious question, but I just want to be clear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back