[The Black Watch] [Prologue] The Lion and the Imp (Kanade)

Thorn Darkblade

I know lots of things. Lots of things...
Imperial Calendar 1122, Ryoko Owari, The Inn of the Orange Blossom

By the Fortunes, not this again! Kanade's money had gone missing, right when it would be appropriate to offer the innkeeper 'recompense' for the meal that was being served right now. True, a samurai didn't technically need to pay for anything, and implying that one needed to actually buy their own food was below their status as a warrior. Coin was for merchants and peasants. However, decorum said 'tipping' was acceptable, and honor all but demanded it. But, it was quite hard to pay, or 'tip', with no coin.

Where could it be though? She just had it!

((Sakkaku has you now! But, seriously, gimme Perception/Investigation, please))

She had the coin when she walked in. It was there when she checked her sword. Where could it....there! But how!? The coinpurse was hanging from the rafters of the inn.

Kanade looks around to see if there is anyone in the inn that she recognizes, especially that might have a grudge against her.

When she see no such person, she approaches the innkeeper asking "Do you mind helping me reach my coin purse, I seem to have misplaced it on your rafters"

The faces were all unfamiliar. The innkeeper bowed deeply, a look of confusion on his face. A look she had seen many times before, when trying to resolve similar pranks. The poor man had no idea what to make of it, or what to possibly say, so, said the only thing he could.

"Yes, of course, Lion-sama!"

He fetched another man and a pole, and the two began to try to get the purse.

"You really should watch your things better."

The voice came from behind her.

Kanade turned around to see who was speaking to her and says "If you pay too much attention to one thing, you miss out on the world around you"

There was no one there. Finally, the coinpurse came down, and the confused innkeeper handed it to her. A glimpse of something orange, moving quickly out of her peripheral, would catch her attention.

Kanade doing a double-take, and not seeing the orange again, decided to see if she could find it again.

Taking the coin purse, she took out a few coins, handed them to the innkeeper, gave her thanks, and left, heading towards where she last saw the orange.

As she walked outside, a voice came from the side of her.

"The prowling housecat fancies itself a Lion, yet it can't even catch a mouse!"

The voice was loud, but, no one else seemed to pay heed.

Kanade turned around to where the voice was getting angry at the last comment made, putting her hand on her katana.

"And now the kitten bares her claws...you'll have to do better than that!"

The annoying, high pitched cackle seemed to come from all around, but no one else heard it.

"Watch yourself kitten, after all, this is the City of Lies!"

"And now the kitten bares her claws...you'll have to do better than that!"
The annoying, high pitched cackle seemed to come from all around, but no one else heard it.

"Watch yourself kitten, after all, this is the City of Lies!"
Seeing herself standing outside an inn, Kanade decides to walk into an alleyway, and when she is alone, she yells out "Show yourself, I will show you how sharp my claws are!"

Still nothing, but, that feeling of being of being watched was still there.

Thunk!

A pebble hit the back of her head.

"Not very perceptive, are you? You won't last a week in this city..."

Annoyed with this disembodied voice, Kanade decided to leave the alley and return to her business, still frustrated.

((sorry for the delay!))

The voice chuckled once more.

â€Better run fast, kitten-sama, wouldn't want to miss your appointment!â€

The blasted thing was right. Somehow, pursuing this unknown prankster had taken much longer than it seemed. She was to meet with the local head magistrate and some other newcomers in a very short time.

((sakkaku shennigans, glory, and honor await you in the future. For now, end your prelude and take 2xp. The main plot will be starting very shortly))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back