• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fandom Tale of Two Survivors { The Last of Us 1x1 with icedthemoon }

Alexander Brennan
Former Seraphite | 19 | Current location ;; North Dakota

Alex looked up as Nate came over. "I did it because I was hungry" He said with a shrug as they got the fire built and a nice breakfast made. His gaze traveled over to Nate with a small blush on his face. "I wouldn't say I'm impressive. We had to hunt for our food so if we didn't have good aim, we didn't eat." He said. The deer had been very filling and he was content to take a moment, sitting back against a tree. "I'm sure you have some important strong suits, especially if I end up getting hurt" Alex said.

He drew his legs to his chest as he looked over at the other man. "I know we need to move but I think we're safe enough out here to at least let breakfast digest a bit" He said softly. In truth, he hadn't had a meal that good in a few days and he was finding it hard to want to move. His senses were still sharp, they had to be, but he was finding the calming atmosphere relaxing. Little did he know, the smoke had attracted a group of hunters that had seen it.

Alex got up from his spot, walking over and kicked dirt on the fire once they were done eating, before he sat down again. "I hope you liked the deer, I find it better than the canned foods you find scavenging around." Alex commented. He heard a twig snap and turned his head in that direction, "Nate.. did you hear that too?" He asked, getting to his feet and crouching, bow already out with an arrow ready.

Nathaniel Matthews
Former Firefly | 21 | Current location ;; North Dakota

What Nate learned as they sat there eating was that Alex was going to be a difficult one to compliment. He met plenty of people who were like that, so it did not bother him at all, though it was going to be something that Nate was determined to work on. Everyone should know what their strengths were and find happiness and an appreciation in them. His own talents lie in healing and morale boosts. His mother used to tell him that he was the only reason that he kept going. She could believe in herself because he believed in her. That was what he did when he was with the other Fireflies and when he traveled with Max and Ben. That was who he was, and he was proud of that.

He was just about to agree that the deer was far superior to the canned food that he was living off prior to this when he cocked his head in the same direction and listened. Had head something? Maybe? It was quiet, and he was so focused on their full stomachs that his senses were dulled marginally. He had to get back into always being prepared. He just hated that so much. He should not have to be so rigid all the time. Now was not the time for thinking about that, though. He pulled out his hunting knife, the closest weapon on him in that moment, and hopped up onto his feet in a crouch. He moved to the other side of the fire, eyes darting in every direction for whatever was around. If they were lucky, it would be an animal.

Alexander Brennan

Alex couldn't see anything from where he was, so he grabbed the first branch he could reach and hauled himself up. Balancing on the branch, he narrowed his eyes. He saw three hunters headed their way. Oh no. He silently got down off the branch, moving over towards Nate. "Three hunters right ahead. They must've seen the smoke" He whispered. "We should be okay if we head deeper into the woods" He added, maybe they could skirt around them.

His mind was now hyper focused on keeping himself and his new companion safe. His mother used to tell him that his protective nature would always be an asset. He hadn't believed her back then, but as he had gotten older he'd realized how right she had been. It was an instinct that served him well as warrior, a fighter. Keeping those he was with safe was something would likely never go away. He shifted his stance, slowly moving away from the hunters as they broke another stick. These three knew nothing of stealth and that would make it easier to get around them.

Nathaniel Matthews

Nate took exactly two seconds to determine his next course of action. If the hunters were coming after the smoke, which they surely would, and they did not have time to hide the evidence of their being there, then Alex was right in that they needed to move away from where the hunters were going. And though he trusted that Alex knew how to move in the forests better than he ever could, he also knew that there were some people who were more determined. If they saw that someone was here take likely actively there, they were not likely to stop soon. So they could do this two ways. They could hide on the forest, and he certainly planned to follow Alex’s lead on that. But they could also use a diversion.

Quickly, as they began to move away from the smoke giving them away, he searched for something large but not too heavy. There had to be a rock or something around. Ah, yes! He hefted a weighty chunk of some sort of building material that likely got here after the years of erosion and storms. He tossed it up marginally twice as they moved to test it. This could work. He raised it up and lobbed it far into the forest the other direction. It cracked against a branch or two. That would not stop them forever, but it would hopefully stall them long enough that they could get away faster.

He pushed his legs to move faster to catch up with Alex as they snuck deeper into the forest where he put all of his faith into his new companion. Did he trust this man he met only a day ago? Yes. He may not know exactly who Alex was, but he knew enough to feel like this was the right thing to do.

Alexander Brennan

Alex had been moving slowly when he heard the cracking of branches opposite them. He turned to look at Nate nodding in approval as to the distraction. He hadn't been thinking of that, he'd been more focused on just getting away. He heard a stick crack again, this one further away. He kept moving and then he paused, holding a hand up. Alex walked over to a tree and hauled himself up again, hiding in the leaves. Two of the hunters had walked further off, but one seemed to be headed towards their fire and subsequently their way. He leaned forward, not taking into account the fact that this branch thinner than the last one.

*snap* Alex heard the tree branch crack and he fell onto the ground. He twisted in the air so that his back hit not his face but it winded him. That had also given away where they were. He tried to catch his breath, knowing he had to get up so they could move away. Alex managed to breathe again, looking up at Nate, but he was still dazed and his body wasn't reacting to what he wanted from it, which was get up and run.

Nathaniel Matthews

Nate’s eyes first fell on Alex as he hit the ground, wanting at first to check to make sure that he was okay, but they were not in a moment where they could afford to talk or even check him silently. With Alex still down, Nate shot his gaze outwards, quickly scanning as he crouched lower. The hunters definitely heard this, and at least one of them was moving much quicker in their direction. There was no way to get Alex up and run like they needed to. That hunter was too close, and Alex was too dazed. He had to do something quickly, and though he would love to throw another thing for a distraction, he did not have anything else. He was going to need to obtain more substantial materials for this sneaking purpose in the future.

He bent down low and whispered, “Stay down.” He should have said something like, “I’ll be right back,” or “I have a plan,” or really anything else, but he didn’t. He was already moving into the trees and sneaking around the hunter who was closing in fast. They wanted to sneak around them, but that was clearly not an option anymore. At least not for this guy. So far, Nate could not tell if the other hunter too was coming this way. It seemed likely. Thankfully, he had a plan, and even if it was not the best or most sound plan, it would hopefully be enough to allow Alex time to shake off his stun.

Once he was on the other side of the hunter, who was admittedly very close to where they were, he rustled the low leaves and branches to create a sound. As the hunter spun around, Nate ducked below and stepped to the side. He impatiently waited for the man to slowly move closer, searching for the source of the noise. Nate did a quick check to make sure the other hunter was not in the immediate vicinity- he did not appear to be. Good. The hunter here stepped just to his side, and Nate popped up, wrapping his hand around the man’s mouth so that he could not make sounds. He yanked the man backwards, further into the trees. “I am so sorry it came to this,” he whispered into the man’s ear. One life to save all the lives they would have taken. He sucked in a breath, holding his knife in his hand. No, he couldn’t do it. This was not the way. There was always another way. He tightened his grip on the man’s mouth and covered his nose as well. The hunter thrashed, but he held him in place so as not to make any additional sound. Finally, the hunter stopped moving, knocked out, and Alex gently put him in the grass. By the time he woke up, they would hopefully be long gone. That left one more.

Alexander Brennan

Alex looked over at Nate, his eyes wide as he tried to get up. He paused hearing his words. What? Alex was stunned and upset, but as he finally regained his breath, he was able to get to his feet. That hurt but it seemed superficial. He crouched, bow in hand as he looked around. A rustle up ahead had him on edge. He had no idea where Nate was or if the man was even alive. Alex backed up so he had a tree behind him. He preferred having something to his back so he could look at every angle without having to flip around every so often.

He stayed where he was until he heard something snap beside him. Another hunter must've made it around or Nate was dead, he had no idea. He whirled, bow drawn and aimed at the hunter, the arrow flying without him thinking twice. The man hit the ground with the arrow right in the heart. Breathing heavily, he looked around before moving slowly forward. "Nate" He whispered, hoping that his companion was still alive.

Nathaniel Matthews

Nate snuck through the trees, moving slowly back the way he came from in the hopes that he could find Alex. He hoped that his friend was okay. He refused to consider any other option. He could not go through another loss, even this early on, so he did not even think about it. It came to his mind and he quickly pushed it away. What was important was finding Alex. Was the other hunter still around? Just as he thought that, he heard a faint rustle and yanked his head in the direction in time to watch as the second hunter fell to the ground. Was that an arrow?

He took the chance and straightened so that he could see better. He did not hear or see anything. That was good he hoped. But where was Alex? He crouched down again, wondering if that last hunter was wandering this direction. As he moved along the trees, he heard the whisper. Oh thank goodness. “Alex,” he whispered back, moving quicker to the voice. “Are you okay? I think we should leave before the other one finds us.”

Alexander Brennan

The breath of relief when he'd heard Nate's voice surprised Alex. A moment later the man showed up, standing in front of him. "Yes I'm okay, how are you?" He asked, looking the man over for anything. "We should go, yes" Alex agreed. He was happy that Nate was okay, it had actually scared him when they'd been separated. He didn't get scared, that wasn't his thing, even with his own family. So what about Nate made Alex scared?

He pushed that thought away, just as quickly as he pushed away the fact that his heart had fluttered when he saw Nate was okay. These were things he did not want to dwell on tonight. He made his way carefully deeper into the trees, skirting as wide as he could from the third hunter. He'd take him down if he had too, but hopefully they could get away just fine. These three didn't look like the ones at the border which did not make him feel better. He looked behind him to make sure that Nate was still behind him.

Nathaniel Matthews

Full of adrenaline after the event, he moved quickly forward, following the shape of Alex. He was so glad that he was okay. He knew that it was merely fear that wracked through him, and he probably would have feared for anyone with whom he traveled. Though, he did wish that they could have stuck together for that particular combat. He hated when he had to separate with people. The not knowing was sometimes worse than reality.

They snuck through the trees, trying to move as far from the third hunter as possible. Nate almost wished that the last hunter would yell out for his compatriots so that they knew where he was. It seemed unlikely that they would run into him, though, since he was likely the one who followed the initial distraction. So he silently moved for minutes which felt like they lasted for an eternity. Finally, he moved next to Alex, placing a hand on his shoulder to grab his attention, and after doing a quick scan, said still quietly, “I don’t think he followed us. Are you sure you’re okay? That did not look pleasant.”

Alexander Brennan

Alex had been intent on staying as far away from the hunter as he could. He didn't realize how far he'd moved until he felt a hand on his shoulder. He slowed to a stop and looked over at Nate. He finally let out the breath he'd been holding as he looked around. Nodding, he sighed though his eyes were consistently looking around still. "I agree, if anything he might've stopped when he found his buddies" Alex said with a little chuckle.

"I'm fine, it just knocked the wind out of me" He said, though as he ran a hand down his back he winced. "Or maybe not?" He said softly, reaching under his ripped tunic to check out what hurt. "Ow, what?" It hurt but he didn't feel any blood, but he also couldn't look either. "Can you, do you mind checking my back?" He said, not sure if there was something in his back or if it was just majorly bruised or even just scratched really bad. Something just felt wrong and he needed someone to check it out. "Time to be a medic huh Nate?" He laughed drily.

Nathaniel Matthews

Nate moved around the Alex’s back, running a hand over his neck and then down his spine. “I’m about to get real up close and personal as a warning. It’s a requirement for being your medic. So you’re going to have to tell me when something is uncomfortable.” He laughed at himself as he began to examine what he could in that moment. He shoved his knife into his pack, and then realizing that he needed to do better checking, he slipped his pack down, letting it fall unceremoniously away from him as he brought both of his hands up to Alex’s body. He examined his neck, trying to see if he could tell what was wrong, but there was so much in his way.

“I can’t tell what’s going on with your bag and frankly your tunic in the way.” Without asking, he pushed aside Alex’s pack, careful not to mess up the arrows. Even that was making it difficult. “Could be that you bruised your spine from the fall. If your tunic is ripped here, it’s probably worse underneath. I wouldn’t be surprised if you hurt your elbows trying to catch yourself. How’s your ankle? It could have twisted? Probably not if you’re moving just fine. Also might have hit your tailbone. How does that feel?” He frowned, now getting more seriously into his role as medic. This was what he was good at. “Do you mind if I check underneath the tunic? I need to see if the reason your neck hurts is underneath, and your clothes are in my way.” He laughed, realizing how strange and awkward this was for most people. Not him though. Bodies were never awkward for him. Everyone had a body, and he needed access to them to fix them.

Alexander Brennan

Alex sighed, he knew something was wrong, but he shifted slightly as Nate ran a hand down his spine. He hissed when Nate reached the middle of his back. "I don't care how close you get, it hurts. Whatever you can do would be helpful" He grunted through clenched teeth. The moment he heard his tunic was in the way, he pulled it off. His back had several old scars, but there were some fresh ones. He couldn't see what hurt, just knew that if Nate needed his tunic off to check, it was coming off. He could care less if Nate saw the scars everywhere.

"My ankles are okay, it seems like the middle of my back." He said, trying to keep himself steady so that Nate could do what he had to. His fists clenched into his tunic's top and he bit his lip roughly, feeling some blood from biting it a little too hard. "Please tell me its not that bad" He said softly, impatient to get this fixed and move on before they got caught. He should be embarrassed by taking his shirt off in front of Nate, but he couldn't find it in him to feel that way. He had grown surprisingly comfortable around him and Alex had no clue how that had happened.

Nathaniel Matthews

The second everything was out of his way, Nate was immediately examining his back. Both hands rested on him and slowly moved. He tested how the skin rippled under his fingertips. He tested the spinal area. “Well, I don’t think you broke anything, which is good. It’s not great.” He ran his fingers to about midway down his back. “This part is not looking too pretty. It will probably get real ugly before it gets better. You’re not bleeding, but I think that’s because you were laying on it so you had pressure to it. That was good.”

He bent down and pulled out several items from his pack. “This will definitely sting, so I apologize now.” He wiped down the wound wanting to make sure nothing got infected. He kept one hand around the wounded area to keep it still as he did so. Once he felt like the open area was cleaned, thankfully it wasn’t that bad, he applied some of the make shift bandages, one that wrapped all the way around Alex and secured below where he thought it would probably bruise. “It’s still going to hurt for a while. That I can’t fix, but you should be okay. Just try not to do that anymore, okay? I can’t have you falling apart on me.”

Alexander Brennan

Alex felt Nate's hands moving slowly on his back. He bit harder on his lips as he tried to keep still. Thank goodness he hadn't broken anything. That was something they couldn't afford to happen. He felt fingers run to about midway on his back and he tensed up slightly. That was where it hurt, and he felt his face go pale when he heard it didn't look that great. But at least it wasn't bleeding so small things. "Wait, what?" He managed to get out as Nate warned him that it was going to sting.

He winced when Nate wiped down the wound, his fists clenched as he tried to stay as still as he could. "Ow" He hissed out as he felt Nate clean it up. He didn't know what he was expecting but the sting from him cleaning it was not it. He stood stock still as Nate wrapped it in bandages, one going all the way around him. "Too bad I don't have any more alcohol to numb the pain" He joked. Then he looked over at Nate with a frown. "I'm sorry, I usually take into account how much weight a branch can handle." He said, slowly putting his tunic back on, covering his body and that bandage. "I'll try my hardest not to fall apart, but that's why I've got you, to put me back together again" Alex said with a laugh. "We uh, we should probably keep moving huh?" He added, shifting his feet.

Nathaniel Matthews

Nate narrowed his eyes as Alex clothed himself. “Did you really just apologize to me for you being hurt trying to keep me safe from the horrible murderous demise that I surely would have fallen pray to if you had not been here with me?” He shook his head to show just how much he did not approve of that line of thinking. People like Alex really needed to stop being so hard on themselves for not being perfect all the time. No one was perfect. No one could always do everything right and wonderful.

“Are you sure you’re okay to start moving again?” He looked back as if he would be able to see that last hunter. They really should keep moving. “Okay, what if we keep going for a while, but then we stop so that you can rest? And if anything starts to act up, we stop. I will keep watch. I dont want that to turn the kind of ugly that I can’t fix.” He made one serious face before it morphed into something silly and he began journeying forward once more. His medic mode was still firmly there, though he knew that staying in one place was a poor idea.

Alexander Brennan

He shifted his feet uncomfortably at the narrowed eyes from Nate. He was confused as he listened to him talk about the fact that he shouldn't have apologized? "Um.. Yes? I was trained better than that." He rubbed the back of his neck, though the stretch of his arm hurt. Did that mean he can't use his bow? What else could he say? He had been climbing trees since he was old enough, and that was his thing. Even the other fighters didn't climb trees unless they had too. It had put him above the others, even as he took forever to get the accurate aim he has now.

"I'm fine to move" Alex said. He looked over at Nate, hearing his words. "I can work with that. If anything changes or hurts, I'll let you know." He added, starting to walk again. He was a little more unsteady with the pain on his back. His gait was slower than it had been before. Alex had never realized that having a wound on his back would effect his walking. He would keep moving, further and further away from the hunters. They probably covered a good amount of distance before Alex couldn't go any further. "Nate, I need to.. I need to stop" Alex managed to get out in between the short breaths he'd started doing a few minutes prior. His back was screaming at him and he couldn't ignore it any longer.

Nathaniel Matthews

Nate traveled mostly quietly for this next stretch, lost in the thoughts of the decaying world outside the tree lines. His eyes scanned the ruins of towns and cities, and he could not help but wonder what exactly they were like before the whole world fell to its ruin. But nature was taking them all back. That was something inertly beautiful as well. Though he never saw what it was like before, he could imagine.

“Are you okay?” He asked, immediately pulled from his inward thoughts and present with Alex once more. He took wide strides to be right with him once more. Alex sounded uncomfortable which was not surprising but also meant that he was likely in pain. “Do you want me to check how it is?” He was probably overreacting. Alex could just be tired, which would be reasonable. He dropped his own pack where they were, which was not a horrible place to stop. They had cover, and they also had an easy line to run if they absolutely had to. He grimaced at the concern that plagued his mind. “Or, you know, you could always just want to rest, and I could stop being so uptight.” He tried to laugh, but it was hard when he was like this.

Alexander Brennan

The quiet had been nice, but it was also unsettling to Alex. He looked over at Nate, who’d come up beside him when he stopped. His back felt like someone was stabbing it with tiny needles. He was tired and hurting, but he held his tongue and not let his pain control the temper he worked to keep down.

He gave a look to Nate. “No I’m not okay.” He said with a low laugh. He heard him ask if he should check it. With how he felt, checking it might be the best option. He pulled off his tunic and looked at Nate. “Please check it, I feel like I’m being stabbed by multiple tiny needles” Alex admitted, before he looked around. This was as good a place as any to stop. “Then I think I should rest for a little.” He said quietly.

Nathaniel Matthews

“Okay, but this time, we’ll have to do a real check. I need to make sure I didn’t miss something.” He pulled out his sleeping bag and snapped it open. He pulled his pack to sit by the side before plopping himself down and patting the ground.

“Join me,” he requested, his little smile creeping across his face despite his serious mood. “I’m going to need to strip again. Then im going to pull this apart and see what it is that I I didn’t account for. It’s likely starting bruise im a bad way. ‘Course, there are other reasons it could be,” He frowned. “I’m hoping not so those. But I can probably do some things to at least ease the pain.”

Alexander Brennan

Alex watched as Nate said that he should do a real check. Alex did agree with that, watching Nate sit down. It was the best place to do it, far away from the hunters. Alex pulled off his tunic, set it down on the ground and sat in front of Nate.

“Okay. I think I just need a rest but this is a good spot to check it out.” Alex admitted, glancing back at Nate. He had a lot of trust right now in Nate. He could easily hurt Alex and run but he knew Nate wouldn’t. Nate seemed to be very confident in his medic skills and so Alex put his trust in him. “Warn me before you do anything that might hurt” Alex asked softly.

Nathaniel Matthews

Nate readjusted his glasses, really wishing that he could find ones that magnified just a little bit more, and started another round of checks. As he slowly moved his hands around the obviously ugly bruising, he talked. “I agree with the rest. You’ve asked your body to do a lot right after going through something that is objectively traumatic for it. Sometimes, if we don’t let our bodies rest and adjust to the new conditions, they mostly just get angry.” He opened up his bag and sifted through the contents. “You’re still not bleeding, which is good. The bruise is worse now than earlier, though it’s likely to look even uglier tomorrow.”

He pulled out a rag and poured some of his water on it. They were likely to find a source of water soon, especially with all these trees. He was not too worried about it. “This is going to be cool, but not too cold. I’m going to try to lesson the swelling.” He pressed the rag around the injured spot and frowned. “Swelling isn’t necessarily a bad sign. Could just be hematoma- uh, essentially a real bad bruise. Honestly, that heals on its own with ample rest.”

Alexander Brennan

Alex winced as Nate began to examine his bruise. “I didn’t want told but we were too exposed there” He said, listening to Nate. He was glad that it wasn’t bleeding, with how it hurt he’d been afraid that he’d opened it. Great, another scar on his body. Alex huffed hearing it would be even uglier tomorrow. “I guess the best thing is it isn’t bleeding then huh?” He asked softly.

He heard the sound of water splashing and then Nate say it was going to be cool. Alex nodded to that and then Nate pressed the cool rag around the wound. Alex had never felt such relief as he did just then. “That feels really good” Alex said. It was the truth. “Should we stop here for the night or wait a few hours and move on?” He didn’t want to make his wound worse, especially after hearing rest was the best medicine.

Nathaniel Matthews

Nate held the rag against him for a while longer. “I know that we could move further with the rest of today, but I think it would be better if we stay and rest.” He moved to sit next to his companion, still holding the rag against his back. “I don’t want you hurt anymore.” He looked away almost shyly. “Especially if you’re risking your life to get me somewhere close to where you left.”

Now that he thought about it, this was an unfair thing to ask of Alex. Nate was asking for too much. He shouldn’t be doing that. This was wrong. He frowned, an entirely in-Nate like expression. He was usually so happy and optimistic.

Alexander Brennan

Alex looked over at Nate when he moved to sit beside him. The rag was kept on his wound and it was really relaxing. He could feel himself wanting to take a nap. His body was probably going to force it eventually if he didn't stop now. "I'm going to agree on not moving. I think if I tried, it wouldn't end well" He said. Alex paused his words and looked to the side at Nate. He had heard what Nate said but it made his heart do weird flips which made no sense. He had no words for that either. "I uh I really don't want to hurt either.." He finally managed to get out. Alex looked at him with an odd look on his face. "I know we're heading towards there, but I'd rather help you get there safely. I mean, its been a day and we've hit hunters and infected?" Alex laughed a little.

Alex glanced over to see Nate frowning. "Nate? What's wrong?" He asked. That was not common for his new companion, he was always happy. "You seem off man, did I say something bad?" He asked, his head tilted curiously as he looked at his traveling mate. Alex wasn't sure what had happened to switch Nate's demeanor but he wanted to find out and fix it if he could.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back