Taking forms without hunting them?

Gamage

The comic on page 104, of the MoEP-Lunars, shows a lunar taking a giant spiders form without having hunted it. I reread the section on taking forms/the sacred hunt, and it says nothing about being able to do that. Is it actually possible to do that, or did the artist just not do his research?

If you look at the comic you'll see that he was eating grass with the herd, when the giant spider attacked. He and the rest of the herd attempt to run, but one of the young deer falls into the water. The spider lungs towards the young deer, at that point the lunar decides to fight the spider. It would be a huge stretch to say that he planned that entire scene hours ahead of time.

Gamage said:
If you look at the comic you'll see that he was eating grass with the herd, when the giant spider attacked. He and the rest of the herd attempt to run, but one of the young deer falls into the water. The spider lungs towards the young deer, at that point the lunar decides to fight the spider. It would be a huge stretch to say that he planned that entire scene hours ahead of time.
I'd say the Lunar was just waiting for the moment to strike.

Gamage said:
It would be a huge stretch to say that he planned that entire scene hours ahead of time.
I disagree, but there's also dramatic license, etc., blah, blah, blah. Or, maybe he used Life of the Hummingbird for some reason, because he really wanted a spider's form for the next hour.

I always figured that Lunar's way of doing the sacred hunt was to attract predators to himself while pretending to be an herbivore. I mean, there's really no reason why he should be spending his days eating grass instead of doing something epic that would fulfill a few goals.

Gamage said:
The comic on page 104, of the MoEP-Lunars, shows a lunar taking a giant spiders form without having hunted it. I reread the section on taking forms/the sacred hunt, and it says nothing about being able to do that. Is it actually possible to do that, or did the artist just not do his research?
The comic is his hunt for the spider form. On page 105 of the book the 4th panel shows him drinking the heart's blood from the spider.

ghoti115 said:
The comic is his hunt for the spider form. On page 105 of the book the 4th panel shows him drinking the heart's blood from the spider.
Did you even read my post? I'm aware he drank the blood of the spider, what I don't get is that it seems he wasn't hunting it. He even tried to escape at one point.

I guess I was confused about what the question was. It seemed that you had a problem with him taking the spider form without completing the hunt, which drinking the heart's blood is the last step of the hunt. I see now you were just concerned that it doesn't appear that he was completing the ritual hunt. While it is not necessary to complete the ritual hunt if you are a Castless Lunar (see the Heart's Blood background on p.109), he clearly has some tattoos that would indicate he is not Castless.

As for a justification of what we see in the comic, we don't know what preparations he had made for the hunt. If he had used Survival to set up a trap and was being a decoy to lead the spider to said trap. But, when he saw the young deer fall behind he knew his trap wasn't going to work and he decided to take action.

We can accept the Artistic License approach to the matter as well. It is a comic and not everything can be shown or flow according to the rules. Wow, that sounded somewhat familiar...

After all' date=' they were designed to be fun and awesome in a medium where you describe what your character is doing rather than showing it - it's understandable. So what I'm getting at is, please forgive me if I flub the actual game rules in favour of stuff that works better visually.[/quote']

Don't they have a knack that lets them take a form with out a hunt? (Don't think they can keep it though)

jeriausx said:
Don't they have a knack that lets them take a form with out a hunt? (Don't think they can keep it though)
Life of the Hummingbird. Works for one hour or one day if at least one level of lethal damage is inflicted. Perhaps he knew that the Spider stalks deer, so he placed himself in the herd to be there when it struck. For the rest of the day, he may maintain that spider-form. This means he can viably Sacred Hunt another giant spider since he looks just like one.

Captain Hesperus

Users who are viewing this thread

Back