Sorcerers and the use of Thmautaurgy/Sciences

Coyotekin

Catalytic Diplomat
Ok, I realize that with the appropriate level of Occult what you can do with Thamautaurgy, but it becomes unclear on how it applies with Sciences. Do you have to purchase the actual Sciences, or can you use it like Thaum with the right levels of Occult?

You require ranks in the actual Sciences themself to make use of them. They are more specialized magics that you need to study on their own...still, they can be quite useful, though less so for one of the Exalted who have better capabilities in artifice and have magics of their own... though I've found Alchemy rather useful even for one of the Exalted.

Good question.

To even know how much Sciences cost, you have to get the Errata for the PG. To save you going to look, here is the relevant data;

Page 115:

XP cost for first dot of a Science: 7

XP Costs for Sciences: CR x 6

Page 116:

First dot of a Science: 5 bonus points

Additional dot of a Science: 7 bonus points

Now, there is no mention of favored abilities. Technically, the Sciences are new abilities, but their use is governed by Occult. In my game, I'd say yes. You get that one cheaper cost.

Your ST may think different.

Ok how long does it take to learn the sciences? I can't seem to find a training time.
There is no offical word on it. Consider it the same as training times for normal occult skills.

Also, it's worth noting that you can learn one specific formula of a science (say, just one kind of alchemy formula, like blood staunching compress), that takes about a week to learn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back