Some questions about DB charms

QuasiMortuus

So, I have a Dragon-Blooded in the group and we've found a few charms that we were wondering about...

1. Combining Mountain Toppling Method/Aspect Anima effect for Earth-aspects and Perfection of the Earth Body - does this mean you get +10 to Strength and Stamina over the doubling of your natural Strength and Stamina (for an Essence 5 DB)?

2. Another thing about Perfection of the Earth Body, is that my player figures that it adds to your Aggravated Hardness (I disagree since it isn't mentioned).

3. We were wondering what a "successful parry" signifies for Weapon-Breaking Defense Technique (as it is written in the Errata). Is a "successful parry" that you are allowed to parry at all - i.e. that the attack isn't unexpected or perfect?

Can't check the first two at the moment, but when they say a successful parry they mean that the opponent didn't get more suxxes on his attack than your Parry DV, assuming of course that you declared that you are using your Parry DV, and not your Dodge DV against the attack.

Can't check the first two at the moment' date=' but when they say a successful parry they mean that the opponent didn't get more suxxes on his attack than your Parry DV, assuming of course that you declared that you are using your Parry DV, and not your Dodge DV against the attack.[/quote']
So you have to completely block the attack? Probably a good way to make sure the DB doesn't use this after every attack. :P

1. Assuming a Strength and Stamina of 5 you would get +10 to both as long as you are on earth and using jade weapons for the one action. With just the Anima and Perfection you get +5 str +10 sta as long as your on earth.

2. Not sure how your getting a aggravated hardness without armor, but I would allow the essence boast for aggravated hardness as long as it exists prior to the use of perfection of the earth body.

Hero said:
1. Assuming a Strength and Stamina of 5 you would get +10 to both as long as you are on earth and using jade weapons for the one action. With just the Anima and Perfection you get +5 str +10 sta as long as your on earth.
I don't think we're really talking about the same thing...

Lets say that the Immaculate Monk has 5 in all relevant stats (Strength, Stamina, Martial Arts & Essence). Using Mountain Toppling Method or the Aspect Anima of the Earth-Aspect should up his Strength and Stamina to 10, right? What happens if he then uses Perfection of the Earth Body that doubles your Strength and Stamina, do you end up having 20 or are you "only" at 15?

2. Not sure how your getting a aggravated hardness without armor, but I would allow the essence boast for aggravated hardness as long as it exists prior to the use of perfection of the earth body.
Earth-Dragon Form gives you your MA-value in B/L/A Soak & Hardness. While in the write-up for Perfection of the Earth body, they only talk about Adding to your Bashing and Lethal Soak & Hardness.

So why would you allow that it increases your Aggravated Hardness?

QuasiMortuus said:
2. Another thing about Perfection of the Earth Body, is that my player figures that it adds to your Aggravated Hardness (I disagree since it isn't mentioned).
Nothing ever lists "Aggravated Hardness". In fact, the rules don't actually mentioned Hardness working against Aggravated damage at all. This is almost certainly an oversight. Most people assume that the very clear rule that "armor provides an aggravated soak equal to its lethal soak" (pg. 149 and elsewhere) also means that armor provides an aggravated hardness equal to its lethal hardness, but this is never actually stated anywhere in the core book.

If the charm said that it added to lethal soak, it would very clearly add to aggravated soak as well, even though aggravated soak was not mentioned.

wordman said:
QuasiMortuus said:
Nothing ever lists "Aggravated Hardness". In fact, the rules don't actually mentioned Hardness working against Aggravated damage at all. This is almost certainly an oversight. Most people assume that the very clear rule that "armor provides an aggravated soak equal to its lethal soak" (pg. 149 and elsewhere) also means that armor provides an aggravated hardness equal to its lethal hardness, but this is never actually stated anywhere in the core book.

If the charm said that it added to lethal soak, it would very clearly add to aggravated soak as well, even though aggravated soak was not mentioned.
But that is only if it counts as armor; if it only adds to your "innate" soak, it wouldn't give you any additional Aggravated soak, or am I thinking wrong?

As far as I can tell, a Charm only provides Aggravated soak if it explicitly says it does so, for instance Iron Skin Concentration and Iron Kettle Body.

Captain Hesperus

1. Mountain toppling method is a single action duration, The errata makes clear that this is considered dice added by charm so they would not get the doubling benefit of perfection of earth body, thus giving a 15 str limit with those 2 charms.

The use of anima bonus could be ruled either way, it could be doubled to 20 total if you consider the added sta to be natural, or you could rule it's also a dice adding effect that is not affected by the perfection of body giving a 15 sta. I would go with which ever way makes your game more awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back