• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Short-Shot (mini RP, limited scenes--historical)

CastoffCaptain

Obsess. Hunt. Manipulate. Repeat.
What exactly is a Short-Shot?
Sibelle Grey Sibelle Grey brought up a style of RP she'd enjoyed from previous places: RPs that focus on a short amount of scenes and have a limited lifespan. Whether you've got a craving you're sure will fade in a few weeks or you're just trying to work out the kinks in a character's personality, this style requires less commitment.

Here's the thread that began it all:
https://www.rpnation.com/threads/so-one-shots.346958/

I coined the term "Short-Shots"... and here's mine.

---------

The setting: Saxon England, close to Danish-held Northumbria, in a temporary Saxon camp hidden in a forest not far from a main road.

The characters:
A female time-traveler/historian from present day
A captured Dane
A few NPC/side Saxons (I'll play these!)

Background/Plot: While traveling from a town on the east coast to the kingdom of Mercia, the Saxon group (made up mostly of warriors but also a handful of their women and a noble lord) encounters a Viking raiding party much smaller than their own. Having no love for the Danes, the Saxons ambush the Vikings who are heading back to their boats to sail home. The Saxons begin slaughtering the surviving prisoners.

A woman in the party steps up to the line of Danes being killed and unexpectedly asks for the life of one of them under the pretense of wanting him as a slave for work/protection. Her request is grudgingly given due to the fact that she's saved the life of one or more of the party earlier and the Dane is forced to take an oath to be bound to her. Note: oaths were never taken lightly in this period--one of the worst reputations to be had was that of an oath-breaker.

Motivations:
The historian is an historian who has managed to travel back in time, whether accidentally or on purpose. On the surface, she's appalled by the slaughter of the prisoners, even though she's seen first-hand the havoc the Vikings have wrought. On the less virtuous side, she finds the young Dane attractive, and even though modern society condemns slavery in all its forms, she's nowhere near modern society. In the tenth century, it's perfectly acceptable. She justifies her behavior by telling herself she's saved him because it's the right thing to do and/or it's an excellent way to get first-hand knowledge of Saxon customs of the period, but underneath, it's much messier than that.

**And here's where I tell you that this is not, not, not, and never will be about BDSM/Sub-Dom behavior. Both main characters should be strong-willed, independent, and not motivated by fetish behavior. Yes, there's attraction. Yes, there's a heavy amount of sexual tension. Yes, I said 'slavery'. But if you come to me looking for sub-dom stuff, I'll drop you like a hot, snotty rock.

The Dane just wants to stay alive. He's got family back home, but no woman (if he had a wife/sweetheart, she either died or rejected him). He may or may not find his savior attractive at first, but the potential is there. He's got to decide if he wants to flatter her to keep her sweet until he can escape, or to attempt to run at the first opportunity-- or perhaps he's not so eager to head back home, after all. After all, she did save him, and he's given his word he'll stick around (although he never did agree to how long). Like her, he should be a tangled mix of feelings, motivations, and justifications for behavior he's not proud of.

It's not essential, but an age-gap might be fun, with him being the younger of the two--thereby further complicating the historian's justification for her behavior. If this doesn't appeal to you, that's perfectly fine.

To make things more interesting, the Dane may or may not secretly be able to speak Saxon.

Allthough I have a clearer idea of where the scenes will lead and have plot ideas if I play the female, I'm happy to play either role.

The scene(s):
1. Saving the Dane's life
2. Alone for the first time--an attempt at communication, the battle of wills begins.
3. Down by the river--getting him clean, tending to his wounds, during which the two of them manage to stumble their way through a conversation.

(I have at least one more scene after this, but this is enough for a short-shot. If we decide we want to continue past this, great! If we decide to stop at the third scene, cool!)

All of the above is subject to negotiation, as well-- the details aren't entirely firm or fixed.

Key words: attraction, denial, language barriers, cultural differences, defiance, lonliness, loss, sexual tension, tenderness, homesickness, secrets, promises kept and broken

Please provide me with samples of your writing so that we can determine if our styles are compatible. Also, please take a peek at the RP I'm currently in so that you can get an idea of my RP style/character depth/post length/all that good stuff. PM me or quote me here!

My current RP:
https://www.rpnation.com/threads/blackshot-ghosts-closed.287440/

(Please ignore the fact that some of the pic links are broken. This RP was started before RPN changed its format and I'm too lazy to go and fix broken picture links. In fact, I really don't care if we RP with pics or not.)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back