Shifting Isles

lol, I could see that, with Eve. I'm going to go with Malek for the name - as for the item, uh... I dunno. He has a fancy silver amulet he wears a lot - that would work, he'd want it back. :-)

Gotta question for the GM.

This particular adventure path was written for the 3.5 rules, and that brings up a question with one of the traits. I was looking at the campaign trait Researching the Blot (You can use Spellcraft to identify magic items in the same way you can use Spellcraft to identify a potion. The DC to identify a magic item is equal to 20 + the item’s caster level.), but the effects of that trait are already incorporated into the Pathfinder Rules (and actually are easier to do using the rules, as long as you have Detect Magic or Identify - DC 15 + caster level as opposed to the trait's DC 20 + caster level). I've been looking at the paizo boards and have a suggestion for this trait:

Using this trait, anyone can identify an item with a Spellcraft check as if they had studied the item with a Detect Magic spell (DC 15 + caster level). If Detect Magic or Identify is used to identify the item, the caster gains a +4 trait bonus on the check.

This brings the trait in-line with the established rules for identifying magic items - it just gets rid of the Detect Magic or Identify spell prerequisite to be able to identify an item. If someone does already have a means for identifying magic items, the trait will then give a bonus to the check. This makes the trait valuable for casters and non-casters alike.

Now, having stated that, I'm looking at playing an Alchemist (Crypt-breaker, most likely, in order to get Trap-Finding), and Alchemists get Identify as a 1st level Infusion. So, the GM's ruling on this isn't a game-breaker for me at all. I'm also considering the Looking for Work trait.

I'm open to any changes you might want to make, but i tried something based on what you posted about your character.

I should be ready to go for the 12th if we are still shooting for that.

DMMagius said:
Gotta question for the GM.
This particular adventure path was written for the 3.5 rules, and that brings up a question with one of the traits. I was looking at the campaign trait Researching the Blot (You can use Spellcraft to identify magic items in the same way you can use Spellcraft to identify a potion. The DC to identify a magic item is equal to 20 + the item’s caster level.), but the effects of that trait are already incorporated into the Pathfinder Rules (and actually are easier to do using the rules, as long as you have Detect Magic or Identify - DC 15 + caster level as opposed to the trait's DC 20 + caster level). I've been looking at the paizo boards and have a suggestion for this trait:

Using this trait, anyone can identify an item with a Spellcraft check as if they had studied the item with a Detect Magic spell (DC 15 + caster level). If Detect Magic or Identify is used to identify the item, the caster gains a +4 trait bonus on the check.

This brings the trait in-line with the established rules for identifying magic items - it just gets rid of the Detect Magic or Identify spell prerequisite to be able to identify an item. If someone does already have a means for identifying magic items, the trait will then give a bonus to the check. This makes the trait valuable for casters and non-casters alike.

Now, having stated that, I'm looking at playing an Alchemist (Crypt-breaker, most likely, in order to get Trap-Finding), and Alchemists get Identify as a 1st level Infusion. So, the GM's ruling on this isn't a game-breaker for me at all. I'm also considering the Looking for Work trait.
I've been running into stuff due to the adventure path being written in 3.5 and trying to use pathfinder rpg rules (luckily I found someone on the boards that has converted the encounters and npc to the updated rules). As for the trait. If that is the way people have thought the trait should work now, it looks good to me. I don't think the ability to identify magic items is really that game-breaking. So take it if you would like. 
Yes, I am still hoping to have our first game on the 12th if that still works for everyone. I'm hoping to start about 7:00 central time. Does that work for time for everyone?

Note for DM - you may have to resend the invite to me for the campaign on Obsidian Portal. Doesn't look like I ever got it.

username is dmmagius

FYI, my character sheet is up and completed. Also, it wouldn't let me add the bio for whatever reason (looks like it's a known bug that happens occasionally and I'm just lucky), so I added it on the wiki instead, and also added links to this board, roll20, etc. on the wiki for easy reference.

Oh, and here is a character portrait for the token (closest I could find to mental image, so close enough~) http://anathematixs.deviantart.com/art/Ian-280996218

Last edited by a moderator:
Since this was asked to me and I want to put it out to everyone. If you'd like to take a flaw for your character and gain an extra feat. I will allow 1 flaw, but please try to take something that might come up.

Yeah, I guess I got a little confused with the gaining the feat. I was looking at the Drawbacks and seeing getting a trait. Think I'd rather keep to the 1 drawback for 1 trait. The link you have has some fun stuff, but I don't know about the ability to buy them off later.

I guess the question is, how are we dividing up the treasure, guys? We aren't really a party yet because we just met each other, so... we should probably figure that out?

I know it's kinda meta, but why don't we just do equal shares of everything just to keep things easy at this point.

Posting here too in case no one checks the Roll20 boards right away... Are we gaming this Tuesday the 26th, or Thursday the 28th? Obsidian Portal says Thursday the 26th....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back