Shards of Immortality

I'm interested but I'm not too proficient at D&D. If I were to join, I'd be learning the better details of the game style as we went.

Otherwise, I am for sure interested. :D

This has been eating at me a bit since the first take on this game, so I guess I gotta ask; why the segregation of the races, and why are several races so limited? I get that you guys PROBABLY don't want demon characters (for very good reason, given the setting...) but why are custom races in general carpet banned? Assuming that any new ones would make sense within the setting anyways, which I assume would generally mean General-created new species or smaller/rarer subspecies (ex. half dragons or something).

Lizardfolk are examples of both issues done VERY well - they ARE basically a custom race (custom built, that is), and while they have defined strengths, are not limited SOLELY to those; lightning is their primary element when they do delve into magic but its use isn't severely regulated. You use lots of non-absolute qualifiers - "usually" "almost never" "most" "most common" to allow character versatility while still following that theme.

Elves, on the other hand, have an arbitrary inability to melee at all and defined hair/eye color. Tieflings describe exactly one characterization of the concept; what about those want to go the demonic juggernaut route, or have a tiefling who manages to control their temper pretty well? Also a bit more of a focus on ALL of them being X; all tieflings and elves seem to have identical characteristics and little ability to challenge them.

In general I still like the races and the stuff that dragged me into the game the first time around, and there are some that are done really well (I think Nymphs, Lizardfolk, and Pantheons in particular are all very cool takes on their concepts), but I've been pondering this on and off for a while. Maybe I'm just looking too far into it and you did intend that most of the martial/intelligence/melee/etc tendencies mentioned were just a "most of them" thing rather than all of them, maybe there's an in-story reason that we just don't know (if every single demon in the setting was exactly identical in every way it'd make more sense for Tieflings to all be basically identical), whatever. Just hoping for a bit of an explanation I guess; I trust you guys in to have thought this stuff out in general but a fair bit of it hasn't really trickled down to us lowly plebs.

(also is this the third take on the game now? what happened to that project from a couple months back about rezzing Shards and other games in that... crayon... thing?)

Tabby said:
This has been eating at me a bit since the first take on this game, so I guess I gotta ask; why the segregation of the races, and why are several races so limited? I get that you guys PROBABLY don't want demon characters (for very good reason, given the setting...) but why are custom races in general carpet banned? Assuming that any new ones would make sense within the setting anyways, which I assume would generally mean General-created new species or smaller/rarer subspecies (ex. half dragons or something).
Lizardfolk are examples of both issues done VERY well - they ARE basically a custom race (custom built, that is), and while they have defined strengths, are not limited SOLELY to those; lightning is their primary element when they do delve into magic but its use isn't severely regulated. You use lots of non-absolute qualifiers - "usually" "almost never" "most" "most common" to allow character versatility while still following that theme.

Elves, on the other hand, have an arbitrary inability to melee at all and defined hair/eye color. Tieflings describe exactly one characterization of the concept; what about those want to go the demonic juggernaut route, or have a tiefling who manages to control their temper pretty well? Also a bit more of a focus on ALL of them being X; all tieflings and elves seem to have identical characteristics and little ability to challenge them.

In general I still like the races and the stuff that dragged me into the game the first time around, and there are some that are done really well (I think Nymphs, Lizardfolk, and Pantheons in particular are all very cool takes on their concepts), but I've been pondering this on and off for a while. Maybe I'm just looking too far into it and you did intend that most of the martial/intelligence/melee/etc tendencies mentioned were just a "most of them" thing rather than all of them, maybe there's an in-story reason that we just don't know (if every single demon in the setting was exactly identical in every way it'd make more sense for Tieflings to all be basically identical), whatever. Just hoping for a bit of an explanation I guess; I trust you guys in to have thought this stuff out in general but a fair bit of it hasn't really trickled down to us lowly plebs.

(also is this the third take on the game now? what happened to that project from a couple months back about rezzing Shards and other games in that... crayon... thing?)
Everything you see is general the stereotype/how people that race, from whose point of view you do not know. If you want to make a well tempered character then go for it.

Pencils and Crayons is still happening for mostly for another game. Shards never even got a thread inside of it. This might happen eventually but for now this submission is on pause, I'm mostly focusing on The End is Nigh and final exams.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back