Questions. About the Exalted in General. Mostly fighting.

Zekonos

One Time Luck
Hello there. I was thinking about some of the great things that Exalted can do, and can have, and I found a few questions in need of answering.

Starting with some equipment. Could an exalt mix and match different artifacts on their person? To specify, could a Solar wear some Oricalchum superheavy plate, and wear some Jade hearthstone bracers as well? Assuming he pays the attunement costs of both, of course.

And another question about some of the different martial arts. Mostly, this revolves around the different kinds of strikes and for the martial arts. For example, a Solar with entering Solar hero style would probably look like a super-powered kickboxer getting ready for a fight, and would strike using jabs, hooks, roundhouse kicks and maybe even back-spinning heel kicks. The other martial arts are easier on this, I think. A Lunar Hero would probably attack using claws and savagery, and a Terrestrial Hero makes me think of a kung-fu fighter. Sweeping strikes, and moving like water.

Your thoughts?

Re: Questions. About the Exalted in General. Mostly fighting

Zekonos said:
Starting with some equipment. Could an exalt mix and match different artifacts on their person? To specify, could a Solar wear some Oricalchum superheavy plate, and wear some Jade hearthstone bracers as well? Assuming he pays the attunement costs of both, of course.
Yes, certainly. Nothing stops you from mixing and matching the materials and styles of your equipment, in the case of Exalts.

Zekonos said:
And another question about some of the different martial arts. Mostly, this revolves around the different kinds of strikes and for the martial arts. For example, a Solar with entering Solar hero style would probably look like a super-powered kickboxer getting ready for a fight, and would strike using jabs, hooks, roundhouse kicks and maybe even back-spinning heel kicks. The other martial arts are easier on this, I think. A Lunar Hero would probably attack using claws and savagery, and a Terrestrial Hero makes me think of a kung-fu fighter. Sweeping strikes, and moving like water.
Your thoughts?
Is this a question of what others think the Martial Arts Styles look like in use?

Thanks, Plague of Hats.

Yeah, the second question was a question in terms of looks. I guess if all else fails you can just make it look like what you want, but I dunno.

You can mix and match gear as you like, so long as you pay your attunement costs, indeed. Too much does to get a bit...essence intensive though. Still, it's not uncommon for an experienced Exalt, or scavenger lord to have a rather motley assortment look going.

For fighting style, really, it's how do you and those in your group picture the style. Usually the thematics of a style give some hints and clues...and you can likely adapt it some to suit the specific character...and then likely further if or when they begin combining styles into their own fighting style. Honestly, considering the charms, Terrestrial Hero is more of a grappling art than a Kung Fu style, though 'Kung Fu' is such a broad range of styles, that there's surely something that covers. ;) Still, Five Dragon is more suited to a number of such styles, while Celestial Monkey can suit still others, and Tiger others. In a modern Exalted game, my Fire Aspect uses Five Dragon in part as a sign of their training in Wu style Kung Fu, and uses a jian as their primary close combat weapon. The assault rifle fills the role of their 'archery' weapon. ;) Just because you're an awesome demi-god of asskicking...doesn't mean that you can't be practical.

Generally, the hero styles should resemble some form of direct brutal attack, aside from the Sidereal hero styles...the actual true Hero style of which is almost lost. That would be the Throne Shadow Style, found in the Scroll of Errata. Violet Bier of Sorrows isn't a true Hero style, though it too is able to be instinctively learned by Sidereals without a Sifu. Both these styles are...more esoteric than the usual hero type style, Throne Shadow Style dealing as much or more with enhancing others or using them as it does with your own combat prowess, or with education, while Violet Bier is an effective direct battle style, it isn't a brawling style, really. More cold, calculated efficiency than brutal straightforward attacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back