Poseidon [Sol Olympus]

Persell

Ten Thousand Club
Poseidon was the first success in mankind's experiments in planet building. Early forays into terraforming on Mars proved to be problematic at best, resulting that when the human race expanded to the Olympus System in the early part of the twenty fourth century it was considered easier to simply build worlds instead of alter them. The star Olympus was chosen because it followed Sol as they orbited the galactic center. This made travel between them safe, as such things are considered, and somewhat faster. Olympus itself is approximately ten light years from Sol, and the journey from one to another takes about fourteen months. That's the Earth-Orpheus time. The journey was long, boring, and made you half crazy. But at least it's over now.

Orpheus is a trio of iron heavy asteroids that have been anchored together at one of Olympus's Lagrange points. All traffic in and out of the system comes through Orpheus, and it's where pilot Dawnstar (Gibby) is currently sitting while his ship gets repaired. The rest of you left soon after arriving and are now touching down on Poseidon.

Splashing down would be more accurate. Poseidon is slightly more than Earth mass, resulting in a comfortable gravity. It was build from nineteen super-massive nickel-copper-iron asteroids to give it an Earthlike core. There isn't as hot a molten core as earth, but does provide some tectonic activity. After the initial seeding, the astrophysicists in charge sat back to watch and wait to see what would happen. The first thing they learned was that the orbit wasn't quite stable. Poseidon is actually a bit too light, and it's spiraling away from Olympus. To remedy this it was decided to orchestrate five more drops. Ice based comets were pulled from the extra solar cloud, locked into collision paths, and set free. Colloquially called the Five Sisters, the first, Battle, hit about nine months ago, and the second, Secrets, hit only four days before you got in system. Joy is on route now, and should be arriving in six months. You are all strongly encouraged to finish up your assignment and get off world before it comes.

The surface ocean is between one and two hundred miles deep at this point. It has an atmosphere of mostly ammonia with some water vapor, methane, and other gases, meaning the atmosphere isn't breathable. You're in a shallow depth sub, floating around the ocean.

As to what exactly you're doing, that depends on your job. The biologist is in charge of releasing anaerobic bacteria into the ocean. It is hoped they will flourish, building an ecosystem basically from scratch, and ultimately seeding the oceans for later viable life. It's a grand experiment, and the terrestrial biological community is watching with interest. The bio tech also has kits to test for xenological life forms, though up until this point none have ever been found. No one knows whether the bacteria you release now will survive the arrival of the other three sisters, but it can't hurt, right?

The physicist is in charge of making orbital measurements from the surface. Poseidon's mass, position, and speed are all under adjustment. Building a planet is a prohibitively expensive endeavor, and no one wants this one to fall into the sun because someone forgot to carry the one. The physicist will be in charge of a whole bank of measuring apparati, and spends a lot of time taking notes and doing math.

Whichever one of you pics up the reins as the geologist will be in charge of looking down while the physicist is looking up. As mentioned, Poseidon's core may very well be stable, but may very well not. As it gurgles and moves there are constant gravitation fluctuations and eddies. There are also gigantic mega-tsunami's as the rocky ocean bottom settles, and waves that are more than a mile tall have been reported. You probably want a bit of warning before one of those things hits the sub.

The chemist has to constantly observe the chemical composition of the water, building a survey data-base. He is also looking for trace elements of the grit from the bottom, and monitoring the atmospheric composition. He's the one who spends the most time out of the sub, taking measurements and so forth. The entire back half of the craft is effectively his, filled with detailed analysis machines, lab equipment, and strange machines with unpronounceable names.

Currently, you are all at 46 degrees south latitude, having just arrived and released the first round of biological seed canisters. The water is a balmy hundred and fifteen degrees in the sun, but that is expected to drop over the coming months. Your mission is to travel north, taking measurements along the way until you get to the equator. If you haven't rendezvoused with Dawnstar by then, an emergency extraction craft will be released from Orpheus to pick you up before Joy hits. Joy has enough water in her to raise the ocean level by approximately two miles, so that's going to be a big splash. It is morning on the ship's time, you're cruising fifty nine feet below the surface where the water temp is a bit more reasonable, and everything is going smoothly.

OOC: Ok here goes. I am going for the role of mechanic / geologists.

IC: Cyan stands, stretching her back and trying to remove the crick in her neck from being bent over a computer console.Speaking to no one in particular, I think that should do it. The sensor buoys are deployed and we should be receiving geological information within the hour.

Stirlitz

OOC: I'm officially the physicist. Thoughts/Dialogue in dark blue. Thoughts are italicized.

IC: Stirlitz makes the final adjustment on one of the multitude of measuring devices and, after quickly double checking his math in his head, turns it on. He smiles to himself. As though I needed that lecture about forgetting to carry the one, he thinks. But then the smile quickly slides off his face as he once again is reminded of where he is. Being stuck inside a cramped compartment in a submarine with a lot of humming electronics was never his idea of a good way to spend his time. But at least the drugs are working, he muses, unconsciously running his hand over the pouch of medicine he always carries with him. Plus it is kinda cool observing a planet as it's being built from scratch. And things certainly could've been much worse..

Stirlitz checks his laptop. No new response yet from his silent program running in the main computer back on Orpheus. But that's not unexpected. The program he left there is only supposed to send notifications every 24 hours unless he specifically sends it an email with a special snippet of code requesting an immediate update. In the meantime it just sits there and gathers data, parsing it for anything that might be interesting. He smiles. Man, what a disaster that was, until the program learned enough to parse out the mundane and useless junk, he thinks. He still remembers getting a huge update with everything in it from copies of emails about a drunken brawl to someone sending his sweetheart on Earth a very intimate letter. What nonsense. And this on the priority channel! Thankfully he was able to make very quick adjustments to the learning algorithm. Now it just sends him the research uploaded by the other scientists and status updates on the repair of their ship.

He turns his attention back to the measuring devices and immerses himself once again in math, blocking out the uncomfortable tightness of the ship.

The sounding equipment is telling you that, as expected, the sub is over a line of sea mounts. Here the ocean bottom comes within a few miles of the surface, and the water is dirty with silt that subsurface currents drag upwards. At 45 degrees south latitude, the sun shine is bright, and it's the perfect place to drop a specimen cylinder.

About four feet long and eight inches in diameter, each cylinder is packed with several hundred billion of the most primitive life forms ever discovered. They're from Earth's ancient past, and are far too old to require oxygen. Considering there isn't any here, that's good. The cylinder's themselves are packed in cold storage near the chemist's coolant tanks. Sydney, the biologist, takes one from the light freezer and carries it gingerly towards the dump ports. Basically mini torpedo tubes, the dump ports open up on each side of the vessel, and they're how the sub evacuates the waste. Several scientists at Yale considered it possible that some form of bacteria in human feces might thrive in this alien environment, and besides, it's not like there's an ecosystem here to pollute. Now though Sydney just dumps seed material. With a flushing sound, the tube is down and away.

With that task done, he heads for the cockpit and sets in a moderate course. The Ismarus sounds to one hundred eighty feet, deep enough that the waters are still. You all head north at thirty knots, while you work. Below you the sea bottom drops off far beyond the range of your depth equipment, and there's nothing around. Thus each of you go back to your own stations to work. Not too much later Dawn makes contact with one of the sensor buoys. It's being swept east, away behind you, by the same current that's dumping nutrients into the surface. But it's also moving much slower than the initial telemetry predicted the current was traveling. For a while she puzzles on that before realizing that the sensor buoy is only moving slowly relative to the ship. There's no one behind the controls right now, while Sydney works in his quarters, and that implies a rather simple solution to the mystery.

Sydney is the biologist/secondary sub pilot. He's an NPC, and I'll whip up his sheet later.

Now that is odd indeed. Cyan flips the switch on the Comm that corresponds to Sydney's quarters. Sydney I think the ship is off course. We seem to be drifting with the current. I am heading over to the control room to see if there are any malfunctions. Can you meet me there?

We are? That's odd. We should be moving across it. Very well, I'll meet you in the steerage.

When the two of you do convene by the controls, it takes a little time to figure out your true heading. There are no nav satellites here, nor way points. Even the bottom mapping equipment is useless, as the ocean floor is more than ten miles down here. It's been months since the last deep penetrating surveyor mapped this area, and even then they said the crust was about thirty miles down. That's nearly ten times the Marianas Trench, but on Poseidon it's almost the beach. Sydney and Dawn work for a while, trying to get an exact location fix, before giving up in frustration. The only thing you agree on is that the math is correct, and that it blatantly disagrees with the buoy's location.

Relative to the surrounding water you're moving north by north west, and should be easily countering the lateral drift. But the sonar buoy is slowing, ship relative, and that just shouldn't be. Finally the pilot grumbles in frustration.

"You might be right, but lord, I don't know. Even the magnetic field in this planet isn't old enough to stay constant. It's a nuisance. I suppose we could surface and have Max get a true heading off the stars, but then we'd have to suit up. I think my rad suit smells like feet."

Since the planet's magnetosphere is so new, it hasn't been fully mapped, and there is a chance of a high energy solar storm sweeping right through. That isn't so much a danger in the night time, when you usually surface to read the stars, but it's broad daylight now. Getting a true heading now means putting on the full rad suit, just in case, which is like wearing a used full body condom in a sauna for an hour. After a moment, Sydney calls the others over the intercom and explains the situation. Your votes, guys? We can always wait until nightfall. I'm in favor of that, but I admit it's completely a matter of convenience.

Stirlitz immediately hits the intercom switch and replies, We're not here for convenience. I vote that we surface right away and find out exactly where we are and what is going on.

The discomfort of wearing the rad suit is nothing when it comes to an opportunity to get out of this damned sardine can and see the open spaces. And doing so during the day would be fantastic. Plus it's always nice to try to solve a puzzle. With that in mind he double-checks the math behind the heading calculations performed by Cyan and Sydney.

Lily Dawnstar

With a robotic jerk Lily sits up right in her bunk. Her eyes adjust instantly to the dim light of the room. A small number of 13% shows up in her field of vision displaying the amount of light currently int he room. Even with such a small amount of light her vision displays as if it is clear as a bright summer day.

"System check" The words are almost mechanical but very light and soft not to disturb anyone else in the room

With a small clicking noise her bio-mechanical arm moves checking motor function, and her fingers click as they also do the same

"All systems normal"

With a quick swing of her legs she hangs them off the bunk and hops down, the cold metal floor beneath her feet.

"Cyan" She calls out into the room softly, but quickly realizes Cyan's bunk is empty.

Swiftly and silently she goes to the hanger and pulls on her jumpsuit, and leaves the room in pursuit of Cyan.

I am going to have to finish my character sheet tonight... sorry I have been busy

Reaching out to thumb the intercom switch. I am going to have to agree with Stirlitz. We need to figure our heading out. I am going to head back to my room and see if Lily is awake yet and get her opinion. Me and her can do a full diagnostic on the nav equipment in the steerage to see if we are having any mechanical issues.

Letting go of the comm switch Cyan makes for the door.I'll be back in a sec Sydney

Jeff I was thinking of running into you in the hallway.

Simbelyn said:
Letting go of the comm switch Cyan makes for the door.I'll be back in a sec Sydney
Making her way around a bend in the ship she sees Cyan coming out from the doorway

Good morning sister

she says in the most monotone of voices. Cyan had been trying to teach her some manners, seeing as this ship is the first real interaction she had ever had with other people for such a prolonged period of time

I do hope your systems are running at the highest output today

She says followed with a forced and awkward smile showing way too much teeth. Lily wanted to impress her sister so badly.

Neolarthytep said:
I do hope your systems are running at the highest output today

She says followed with a forced and awkward smile showing way too much teeth. Lily wanted to impress her sister so badly.
Giving her sister a warm smile in return. I am a running at maximum output. Reaching out she quickly hugs her sister pulling her close then letting go almost as quickly.

I am glad you are awake. We have a bit of a mystery on our hands. We are not sure if the ship is still on course. There is strong evidence that we may be drifting with current somewhat. We are thinking of surfacing to get our bearings. As you might have heard over the comm I want to run a full Diagnostic on the equipment in the steerage. I was hoping you could help me with that?

She would much rather have done the work alone but getting close to her sister is a priority and worth pursuing.

Simbelyn said:
[
I am glad you are awake. We have a bit of a mystery on our hands. We are not sure if the ship is still on course. There is strong evidence that we may be drifting with current somewhat. We are thinking of surfacing to get our bearings. As you might have heard over the comm I want to run a full Diagnostic on the equipment in the steerage. I was hoping you could help me with that?
Lily Dawnstar

Without hesitation she speaks

We are headed in a <Gm insert direction here> Is this not the proper direction

Has absolute direction advantage

Is this not the correct course sister

With another toothy smile

If not I would be most grateful to help you with your task. Perhaps my cybernetics can help you? Speaking of which sister I feel my targeting system is off by one third of a degree. This could be most ineffective if a need for combat arises

Given the small size of the ship even though Syndey is in the steerage, he hears your conversation in the hallway. There's hardly any separation.

"We're what?" he exclaims, looking back at his numbers and the settings on the equipment. "That's- But- That's off by nearly twenty six degrees. Oh, bloody hell I'm going to have to wear the condom again."

Sighing, he picks up the intercom and thumbs it. Max, Lily thinks we're going the wrong direction. Put on your suit; we'll surface in thirty minutes. After that he hits the all stop, and the Ismarus drifts. Then he leaves to go put on his rad suit. Along the way he pauses in Max's room to hand off the sheet of steerage calculations

"Here. Tell me if I forgot how to add or something." Then he moves on.

Stirlitz glances at them, but the numbers all work. None of the math is terribly complicated to begin with.

Nyarl: you put Robert Maudville at the head of your last post. I stared at that for a couple seconds, baffled, before I laughed. Also, your absolute direction is accurate to about a degree on foot, about five degrees in a ship or vessel planet side, and not terribly useful in space. So while the Ismarus is off course significantly and you can tell, you only get a bonus to navigation, which I think is what the book says. You can't fiat the course, unless you're walking or hiking or something.

Ed: The calculations are done on scrap paper, so you couldn't have checked them from your room. If you want to do that, either Sydney needs to bring the material to you, or you need to go to the pilot's desk.

Sym: While you _can_ work engines and electronics in a suit, it's bulky and hard, not to mention sucks, and you get a -5 to everything, though you can mitigate that a little by taking forever. Do you want to hold off on the diagnostics until after you've surfaced and dove, and can do it comfortably?

All: If you're all good putting on your suits, I'll post again at the surface.

Neolarthytep said:
If not I would be most grateful to help you with your task. Perhaps my cybernetics can help you? Speaking of which sister I feel my targeting system is off by one third of a degree. This could be most ineffective if a need for combat arises
Instantly looking concerned. Hmm, I will definitely take a look at that. lets us wait till after we surface. It takes a bit of time to put the suits on.

I agree Mia. lets do the diagnostic after we surface and get our bearings.

Max Stirlitz

Stirlitz takes one last look at his instruments and the laptop to see if anything of interest has come up or if there is anything in the readouts that would suggest an easy answer to why they are off course. Assuming, that is, that they are really off course and that Lily's systems aren't malfunctioning. Unless something unusual catches his attention, he goes to the storage closet , gets his suit, and starts to put it on, happily thinking of the open sky he will soon see.

When the ship finally breaches, the weather is typical. Since there is no land to break up the weather patterns, the dense ammonia rich air blows in constant winds at around fifty knots at sea level. Immense waves spit foam and lather against the top deck, breaking against the conning tower. It looks like an Earthly winter norther, except the water is hotter than a sauna. The conning tower is about nine feet tall, about a third of the height of the huge, deep water waves, and even in the small observation port on top you all hook up heavy restraining cables to bolts set into your feet. Every time a runner shoots by overhead the vertical suction yanks you off your feet. It feels like your hanging upside down, and everything is inverted.

Specifically what you need to do is point some equipment at the sun. It'll calibrate for time and respond with a latitude and longitude. If you stay surfaced for a while, it will even kick back an absolute speed and direction of travel. But you might die of cancer, so it's a mixed blessing.

Sydney stays below at the steerage. If a rogue wave comes shooting by, you're going to need to dive right quick in a hurry because it can spin the whole Ismarus. The technical term for that happening is 'bad.' Another one of you needs to stay just on lookout. Someone else should aim the measuring equipment, while the third acts as a safety observer.

All right. All actions in rad suits are at a -3. Ed, that negates your claustrophobia penalty though. Sym, if Cyan is the safety observer, she can also negate her shyness penalty, because she's watching you all, not the other way around. Otherwise it stays in effect.

Anyway, pick what you're doing, and two throw out a perception roll, while the other make an aim roll. Either instruments or heavy equipment/weaponry skills, because they're basically the same.

Also, would everyone put the name of their character in bold at the start of each post? Thank you.

Stirlitz

Miashara said:
...while the other make an aim roll. Either instruments or heavy equipment/weaponry skills, because they're basically the same.
What is the instruments skill? I'd like to be the one to take the measurements, but don't know how bulky the equipment is and whether I can do it.

Oh, any navigation skill should cover it. You can default off astronomy at -3 if you want. It's pretty similar to pointing a telescope around. The thing itself is on servos, and weight isn't really a problem. Precision isn't a huge deal either, as it self corrects if you get it pointed close. The issue is doing it without being sucked to a watery grave by the thirty foot waves.

Stirlitz

Miashara said:
...Someone else should aim the measuring equipment, while the third acts as a safety observer.
Stirlitz is the first out of the sub, eager to get out into open space. Even if being up there is a constant roller coaster ride from hell, it's still better than being inside the sub. He clicks in the restraining cables and gets to work with the measuring equipment.

I rolled a 10:

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2660567/ (Disregard the -3 in the roll. I'm brain dead and forgot what I was doing for a sec. Anyway, the base roll is a 10.) My Astrogation skill is a 16. With a -3, I still make it by 3.

Cyan Dawnstar

After helping Lily zip the back of her suit, she heads up to the observation and clips in to the safety harness. She makes sure she has a good spot to render any aid if problems should arise and begins to look around while Stirlitz handles the equipment.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2661468/. I rolled a 13.God I roll like crap. Invisible castle hates me

Thomas Red, narration in typical, anything spoken in italics.

Having not slept in 18 hours as par the norm, Red has been trying to figure out what went wrong at the navigation level of his ship without the assistance of Sydney. At some point that kid got on my nerves and thus an hour of introverted stubborn reflection reveal nothing significant as to why we're more than twenty unforgiving degrees off.

The smokeless tobacco inserted in his upper lip, he watches the feed of these three and their full body condoms making the way to the deck. Well if I'm responsible for this human centipede of a fustercluck I may as well be the senior idiot out there with them. Suiting up he makes his way to the port to join them. Sydney there are three up there and I'm joining them. Try not to, like, *$!# this up any further.

Not even acknowledging the female crew members on the deck and heading straight for Stirlitz Well bub, you got this or am I jumping in?

And Gibby makes an entrance. I like it. I think we all have met that guy. Looking forward to seeing how this goes.

Stirlitz

Wait, isn't Stubborne the captain of our space ship? Like, the one still at Olympus? How did he get on the submarine? I thought he was arriving later. Mia?

Stirlitz

Also, while we're at it, can we all agree on a posting style as relating to character's speech vs. thoughts? Let's just pick one way so I know what's going on.

I thought that was what we were doing. Italics for spoken out load, normal text for anything else. Yeah I thought Gibby was on the Ship too. but I doubt that really matters. I think we should run with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back