Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nay!!

• Ptth!!!

• Total voters

Ker'ion

Primordial of Abstract Logic
I was thinking of adding the oWoD Thaumaturgy paths to the list of Arts and Sciences in the Second Age Thaumaturgy list they have in the PH.

Any ideas on limits.

Lure of the Flames is fire based and the rules point to no elemental based Thaumaturgy, but I really like the idea of a mortal wizard being able to pitch fireballs...

You want a mortal to learn how to throw fireballs, there IS a mutation that allows you to do 'elemental' attacks. Or you could become an elemental blooded and get the merit/ability to do Dragon's Aspire, or whatever it's called. ^_^

That may be posible, but I wanted to see what the opinion was on adding the paths from oWoD to the Second age.  There are paths for Storm magic (which is already in the PG), Fire magic, Flight, and about a half dozen to a dozen others (haven't looked in the oWoD Thaumaturgy book lately).

For essence using mortal thaumaturges.

I don't know the stats for a oWoD fireball, but i would imagine it would be much easier for a Exalted to learn 'Fireball' and throw that around, than have to carry a Fiery Solar Cannon or a Concussive Essence Cannon around all the time  :twisted:

I've used some of the Thaumaturgical Paths from OWoD with little difficulty. I think the most notable one was some of their ideas for their enchantments and their herbalism stuff. I also allowed my players to use the Bygone Beastiary rules to work up familiars and similar creatures to great effect.

skafte said:
I don't know the stats for a oWoD fireball, but i would imagine it would be much easier for a Exalted to learn 'Fireball' and throw that around, than have to carry a Fiery Solar Cannon or a Concussive Essence Cannon around all the time  :twisted:
I've always thought of the Arts as a leg up for non-exalts, a form of natural science that was obsolete when it was conceived but still of incredible use to those not lucky enough to be chosen of the gods... things that Exalts don't learn for any utility and only practiced by those exalts who demand a complete grasp on the metaphysical realities of creation.  A Solar who can us arts is like a crayon in a watercolor set, not to say that it's not useful, but it's for something altogether different and less advanced.

There have been other discussions concerning arts and I have always voiced my opinions that arts are difficult tasking persuits due to their nature.  They aren't the channelling of essence that some beings can do by instinct and will, they are exact and precise forumlae for static results.  If anything, the Exalted are at a disadvantage to learning arts, since their powers are way more advanced at even rudimentary levels, it takes a strong amount of dedication to learn.

For example, lets say that you are a photographer in real life, experienced and knowledgeable about all the functions of various cameras and types of film and print... In a modern context.  How many photographers do you know that are interested in Daguerrio Type.  How many members of the Navy missile command are experts in the maritime firearms technology of the 1800's?

To an exalt, these are parallel examples.  Less powerful, outmoded magical pursuits.  Most solars would treat Arts as a hobby, rather than a dedicated pursuit.  That said, I don't understand why everyone only looks at arts as far as their use for the exalted.  Aren't there any half-blood or heroic mortal players out there?

Core to the question though, I think that bringing over oWoD thaumaturgy paths is an awesome idea... Infernal paths alone could flesh the arts out and bring a whole new dynamic to mortal practitioners of the arts.

One of the worst ideas I've ever read, but that's just me. I thought Thaumaturgy sucked horrible in oWod, and adding it to Exalted would just add to the suck :P

I see. I tsounded more disliking than Nay :P It sounded like "PTth, how could someone even consider this?!"

Well, count is as a Nay ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back