Literature Opinions on Fanfiction

I'm someone who used to despise all fanfiction, in every shape and form. If it wasn't canon, I didn't like it and didn't see why anyone should feel the need to write something that deviated from the normal storyline. I didn't hate people for writing it, but I would stay well away from it and thought it wasn't "real" literature.

Then, several years ago, I discovered ships.

And embraced fanfiction with all my heart and curled up in a ball on the floor as The Feels overpowered me with each new fanfic I read. Sure, some of them were really badly-written, but I started really enjoying some of them.

I started writing some of my own. It was weird because I wrote a yaoi fic, despite not liking yaoi at all (but that may have been to do with the fact that all my friends at the time were yaoi fangirls. Don't ask.)

Aaaand later on my writing style went out of control, and I wrote the longest fanfic in one of my fandoms. It went over 1000 pages, and my followers just got fed up and stopped commenting anymore after about 55 chapters.

I still love fanfic but not as much I used to.

It really depends on the author and the reader's taste. Some write the characters well while others don't. Some have good plots while others don't but I like most fanfictions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back