Nocturnals 2e: The Bad

Dragonmystic

What is it about Nocturnals in 2e that rubbed you the wrong way? What do you think could be improved?

-----

The main thing is focus, and how unfocused the Nocturnals book was, especially their charms. We need to reduce and focus them onto a few themes and stick with them, say "this is Nocturnals".

I don't like the curse of subservience. Never should a player character essentially have their free will taken from them. Even when they're in crazy mode, having to now down to others is bad from a storyteller stand point.

The maidens and heaven are too antagonistic. It's a matter of scale; I'm fine with them being annoyed and generally agitated by Nocturnals, Having the maidens come down personally and kick your butt for messing up the loom too much is too far on the scale.

I think the story of where the Nocturnals have been needs to be revised. We already have the Solars in prison being released, lets not repeat that story. This really depends on 3e's new storyline.

I'd point out that for some people, playing a Char with a Slave Mentality can be a fun challenge, especially if RP'ed Well- I wouldn't necessarily call it a Downside, just a thematic point that not everyone will like

the Empyrean caste's anima power seems a bit too powerful in comparison to the others. Yeah they are Nox's priests but still, counting as in calibration with some of the Calibration-ok charms just seems a bit too powerful to me.

The Domains and how they represent reality, except in a world of linkages and symbols, they apparently mean... nothing but a facet of reality without any link to anything else. I think figuring out what the Stone, Chisel, Statue, Silk, Needle, Cloak, Clay, Stylus, and Tablet mean would go a long way towards addressing the unfocused charmset.

I think Recollection of Pain could stand a little balance. I nearly wiped the PCs with a single Nocturnal because he had a Combo consisting of First Melee Excellency+Recollection of Pain+One Stone, Two Birds. Maybe the target's soak should be applied in some way, or they could soak it with Willpower or Conviction?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back