• This section is for roleplays only.
    ALL interest checks/recruiting threads must go in the Recruit Here section.

Please remember to credit artists when using works not your own.

Fantasy Noble Secrets [ Phoenix and Yours Truly ]

Characters
Here
After the servants had left, he tried to listen with all of his being to the topic at hand but found himself ignoring the conversation.

His mind constantly wandered to a specific dark-haired man he’d met only this morning.

He knew he’d only met him this morning, yet he couldn’t think of anything else to occupy his time at this table.

He specifically couldn’t stop thinking about the way he always seemed to be nervous around him. Which was normal. Most were nervous when it came to him. And if they weren’t it was due to arrogance, not usually confidence.

When they returned, Ezrin found himself staring up at them and wondering what it would be like to be bossed around by someone. His father was the only person able to do that, and he never did.

With a shake of his head to clear his thoughts he peered down at the bowel of fruit. The silence was punctuated by a audible noise of someone’s stomach growling.

He glanced at the servant still standing beside him. Ezrin knew what that meant. He picked up the teacup gently and sipped from it as he debated telling him to take the piece of pie with him, maybe he’d eat it instead. At least then he’d not have to force himself to shove it down his own throat to appease the people sitting around him.

When he asked if he needed anything else, Ezrin nodded to the pie. “Take that away,” he said, looking at it over the rim of the teacup he held gently. “And that is all.” He stated with a glance upwards at him.

Cyn's dark brows knitted together in confusion at the prince's request. So he didn't want the pie. Was it truly because he hadn't sliced it well enough? Gods. Whatever, if his royal highness didn't want it, Cyn would be more than happy to eat it. He almost never got treats like this. Servants usually ate much less fancy meals than the nobility they served. Nodding his head, he lifted the plate of pie. "I'm - I'm sorry if the pie was unsatisfactory to you," he said, though his tone was a little insincere, no matter how hard he tried to hide it. "Please let me or one of the other servants know if you need anything more, my liege." Please don't, he thought to himself. I want to enjoy this damned pie and have a moment to sit down!

Bowing his head yet again, his black hair falling to cover his eyes, he turned and left the room. Golden light streamed in through the windows of the castle corridors as Cyn walked back toward the kitchens. Was the day already so close to being over? He couldn't believe it. He'd not had a single moment to himself. His legs and back ached. Groaning, he found a seat in the kitchen at a rickety wooden chair, immediately digging into the pie with the fierce hunger of someone who had only eaten a bit of stale bread that morning.

"What is that?!" Maya demanded, appearing at his side.

Cyn nearly jumped out of his skin. "What does it look like? It's mine, the prince said he didn't want it."

"Just a bite?" she pleaded.

"Ugh. Fine," Cyn grumbled. Maya grabbed a fork and took a bite much too large for his liking, then skipped off in delight with a full mouth. Cyn rolled his eyes and went back to eating his treat, content to finally relax.

Ezrin was happy to be able to focus on eating rather than the endings of this meeting. Now that the nobles had some food in them, they were content to leave the meeting where they’d stopped. As was to be expected. He watched with a little disgust as they ate pie, the atmosphere of the room was significantly different than before, much lighter and calmer.

He’d been in the middle of enjoying a blueberry when his peace was interrupted by chairs scraping across the floor, nobles giving him a respectful bow on their way out the door.

Meeting over then? He glanced about the room for his father, who was in the middle of a conversation. Whatever.

He resumed eating and was picky about which ones he ate first, first all of the small ones. Then the bigger ones, and when they were all gone he frowned at the empty bowl.

Then he drained the teacup and decided that now he would leave. His father was finished with the conversation he’d been having. So Rin stood and made his way over to him, walking with him as he exited the room.

“You did well today.” He commented, not looking over. “A little blunt, but they’ll get used to it eventually.”

“Well, they are sometimes a little blind when arguing with one another, and hate to listen.”

“They listened to you.”

“For once. Last time they both ignored me and continued to fight.” As Ezrin spoke, the two of the rounded the corner.

“They learned their lesson didn’t they?”

“I guess they did.”

And somehow he was at his rooms all of a sudden. “I will leave you for now. Do not run off tomorrow morning, you have duties, Ezrin.”

He sighed and rolled his eyes, opening the door as his father walked away. Like hell he was going to show up to that meeting.

And he didn’t. Ezrin went to bed, and woke up earlier than he’d expected to. The sun had yet to rise by the time he had slipped out of his rooms and into the hallway. No one was out and about just yet so he didn’t bother to hide where he was going.

As soon as he was out the palace doors, one of the most unused ones, he breathed in deeply. The morning air was crisp and cool for once as he walked into the stables.

It was slightly warmer in here with the horses, he was already collecting a saddle and everything he’d needed, and headed towards his favorite horse.

Last night had been exhausting. Maria had insisted on having more help around the kitchen the very instant Cyn finished his pie. He worked long into the evening, when only a ribbon of red sunlight shone over the horizon, and he hadn't had time to visit his mother. He'd merely collapsed into his bed in the servant's quarters and drifted off almost immediately, waking up horribly sore.

And he still had to take care of the horses at the crack of dawn. Cyn sighed, blearily forking hay into the horses' troughs, dark circles evident under his icy eyes.

"You look like you died and came back to life," said another stable boy, grinning as he fed the horses at the other end of the stables.

"Cause I did," Cyn grumbled.

"I'd believe it. You could probably convince people you're undead and they wouldn't think twice."

"All right Greg, shut it," Cyn replied, but he couldn't help a small amused smile.

Their conversation was cut short when a tall figure stepped into the stables. The prince. Immediately both servant boys ducked their heads, none too eager to attract the royal's attention. But Cyn couldn't help glancing up as Prince Ezrin walked in; this was where he'd most frequently see the young royal, but they never really spoke. Cyn most often was off in a corner shoveling muck. Greg was the one who usually saddled the prince's horse - if he even wanted it saddled at all. Most often Prince Ezrin saddled the beast himself.

Greg shot Cyn a look that clearly said, Take over for me this time.

Cyn rolled his eyes, but did not protest. He timidly approached the prince. "Uh... your majesty. If I may. Would you like me to saddle your horse?"

Ezrin wasn’t aware that he was not alone. But he went about like he was, began saddling the calm horse.

All he wanted was to get lost in the morning air and finally find peace. The palace walls sometimes felt like they were closing in on him and there was nothing he could do about it but run away.

Which was exactly what he was doing right now. This was his escape.

But halfway through, that same stranger from yesterday showed up again. This had to be some kind of record or something. He had never seen them before yesterday and now they were basically everywhere.

“If you would like.” He said, taking a step back and crossing his arms.

Cyn set to saddling the prince’s horse with a long sigh. He really didn’t know why he kept running into the young royal. He met the horse’s big eyes as he worked, and the noble beast snorted and flicked its tail. Cyn gave it a quick pat on its neck before he finished his task.

“There you are, your highness.” Cyn stepped back and bowed his head. He cast a quick glance at his surroundings, noticing something missing just as he had yesterday. “Uh… I-if I may, majesty - you don’t have any guards accompanying you? Isn’t that dangerous?”

Ezrin was a little annoyed at the question. Everything in his life could be considered dangerous, every time he ate food, drank tea, or touched something, he was at risk. Being of royal blood was a risk.

With a sigh he looked to the ceiling and then looked back at the dark haired servant standing before the horse.

“If they accompanied me, then I would be incapable of enjoying my time out of the palace.” He fixed his gloves, no longer looking at the servant. “If it bothers you so much then you’re welcome to join me.” He said it with slight sarcasm.

Eyes sparkling, Cyn managed to entirely miss the sarcasm, his mind only thinking of taking a much needed break from all his hard work. He didn’t love the idea of wandering off with a damned royal… but if he didn’t accompany Prince Ezrin, he might get in trouble for seeing the prince alone and not doing anything about it. Plus - the aforementioned break from work would be ideal.

“Really?” he asked, tilting his head a little. “I mean - if you’d like me to, my liege, I could accompany you!”

A very loud sigh sounded from behind Cyn. He glanced over his shoulder to see Greg shaking his head, jealousy clear in his eyes. You’re going to get a break?! Greg mouthed.

Cyn simply grinned in reply.

Rin was surprised by the fact that this servant didn’t catch on to his sarcasm, but there was nothing to be done for it. He couldn’t back out now, not without being rude or condescending.

Neither of which he was feeling like displaying at the current moment. He merely wished to have a nice morning. Whatever he wished was his to get, so he just nodded his head.

“Why not?” He shrugged, “Do you have riding experience?” Rin tried to hide the fact that he was genuinely interested in knowing, but utterly failed as he looked him in the eyes.

With anyone else he’d be fine to pretend that he was just making polite conversation, but not right now it seemed.

With a wide smile, Cyn patted the prince’s horse again, delighted at the thought of breathing in the fresh air of the woods, gazing upon the towering mountains from a view other than trapped behind the castle’s walls for once.

When asked if he had riding experience, Cyn’s mind flashed back to the time he’d stolen a horse as a young lad to escape pursuit. He shook the thoughts away. Gods above, Prince Ezrin did not need to know about that.

“I have… a little experience,” he said vaguely, avoiding the young royal’s gaze. “Which horse would you like me to saddle up to accompany you?” It wasn’t like any of these horses belonged to him. He hadn’t really ridden any of them before.

With that question he was a little stumped. He’d only ever ridden the horse he was currently standing infront of. But from word of mouth, the horse in the stable to the left of them was just as calm and even tempered.

“This horse should be good,” he stated, leading his own horse along with him as he gestured to the lightly grazing creature flicking its tail as it ate. “From what I’ve heard, anyway.” Then he opened the small gate leading to it’s stable, “But any horse in here would do, if you’d like to choose one. I’m in no rush.” The last words were a lie but he felt the need to say them for some odd reason.

“Hmm.” Cyn followed the prince and gently pet the horse he’d indicated - she was a beautiful roan mare, her grey coat mottled with darker splotches. She gently nudged his shoulder with her nose; Cyn smiled and got to work saddling her. His movements were quick and practiced. He’d saddled many horses for many nobles and knights. Actually getting up onto her back was a different matter, though - he was tall enough it wasn’t much of an issue, but riding a horse after saddling it was the part he wasn’t accustomed to.

Cyn held the reins with the grip of someone who didn’t much know what he was doing. The beautiful beast under him held still, though, and did not seem to mind his weight. Surely he’d be all right. Cyn patted her mane, and she flicked her tail in response.

“I am ready whenever you are, my liege, just give the word,” Cyn said politely.

Rin easily stepped into the stirrup and swung his leg over the back of the horse before settling atop the large and powerful creature.

He glanced over to his impromptu companion and nodded, “I am ready now.”

But then looked down at their hands and noticed how tightly they were gripping the reigns.

He decided to not comment on it, and instead kicked the horse into a slow trot, glancing back at the servant.

Cyn nodded a little nervously. Watching the prince’s smooth and practiced movements, the servant boy tried to copy him - he gently tapped the mare’s ribs, and with a toss of her head she slowly walked forward. Cyn used the reins to steer her out of the stable and into the open air.

“Don’t get killed!” Greg cried out behind him.

“Don’t drown in horse poop!” Cyn called back with a grin.

The roan mare was very gentle. She moved slowly, and she was not as hard to steer as he’d worried. He was still unsure of himself on her back, but he felt he could get used to this. With a smile on his face he turned his head to look at Prince Ezrin. “Lead the way! I’ll try not to be too far behind.”

”Alright.” He said quickly as the horse began to speed up. After that he didn’t feel the need to keep glancing back, yet he found himself doing that anyways, just to make sure he was still there, still behind him.

The horse continued on, evenly.

The forest was mostly quite besides the birds calling out to one another. The morning sun filtered unevenly through the leaves and trees, and the further they rode the calmer he felt on the inside, and the less he thought.

It was a blissful feeling, to know that he was leaving everything and everyone else behind and that he didn’t have to be anyone or anything out here when on his horse.

He could stay out here forever, if he had the ability to, he’d never return. If he didn’t have responsibilities and duties to attend to, he really would never go back.

Everytime he returned it was like he’d never left, but for right now at least, Ezrin felt free.

Well. A little.

He glanced once more over his shoulder, for once he didn’t feel suffocated by someone’s presence. But then again there was actual physical distance between them, unlike how his guards would be on either side of him, watching out for any potential threats.

This was much calmer in comparison, much more welcome.

After a long while, he slowed his horse down and felt the need to savor this moment of peace.

Riding a horse was a strange sensation. Each step the mare took jostled Cyn in the saddle. Still, she was much gentler than he recalled his other horse experience being. The one where he’d… stolen it.

Shaking the thoughts away, Cyn loosened his grip on the reins a little as the horse trotted along, slowly finding a measure of confidence in the saddle. This wasn’t too bad at all. A breeze tousled his dark hair as they rode out through the castle’s postern gate to avoid the guards at the front. A thin dirt trail led them deep into the woods. Cyn’s lips curved into a smile as he felt the dappled sunlight against his skin, and basked in the calming sound of birdsong and wind rustling the leaves of the grand oaks.

“It’s so beautiful,” he murmured, more to himself than to the prince. He barely ever got to leave the castle’s outer walls. Too many damned duties. He found his thoughts drifting to his mother, wishing she could take a break as well, and come out here into these woods with him. Ah well. Perhaps if he had time, he’d go to visit her this evening.

It felt like they had been traveling for hours and yet mere seconds all at once. Time seemed to stand still and not, simultaneously. Slowly the trail faded, until Cyn had no idea where they were or even which direction they’d come from - he couldn’t see the castle or even the northern mountains from between the thick trees.

Ezrin stared at the treetops for a long period of time as the horse slowly walked on, in a seemingly random direction.

He had no thoughts of adjusting his direction or changing course. The horse just walked on and he let him.

Until he came upon a small familiar bush, so suddenly he pulled on the reigns to halt the creature in its track.

Then, swung off the horse and landed on deft feet. He crouched to give the plant a good look-over, observing the leaves for any signs he was incorrect in his assumption of what kind of plant this was. He wasn’t about to walk right into poison ivy and acquire a inconvenient rash.

And of course Rin had no come here unarmed. Obviously it wouldn’t be much help in most situations but the small dagger was better than nothing.

Nearing the plant he dropped to his knees and carefully began to extract only a piece of its root.

Cyn only noticed the prince had stopped when his own roan mare halted and tossed her head. The young servant patted her neck, then looked towards the royal, crouching before a plant. Cyn furrowed his brows. What what Prince Ezrin up to? He slid off the back of his horse - and caught his foot in the stirrup, flailing about for a moment in panic before he managed to free himself. The mare turned her head to peer at him with her dark eyes and whinnied, almost as if amused. "Yeah, yeah, laugh it up," Cyn grumbled.

Awkwardly clearing his throat, he self-consciously smoothed out some wrinkles in his pale blue tunic before turning to the young royal. "If I may ask, your majesty, what are you doing?" The prince seemed very interested in plants. What was that all about? Was he looking to get into alchemy? Why? It wasn't like a prince needed to do much for himself... he could always command his alchemist to do everything for him. He was a strange noble, indeed.

Ezrin had successfully uprooted a small part of the plant when he heard a small commotion going on behind him. He almost turned around but realized that he wasn’t quite finished just yet—

Finally the plant relented and he was able to extract the small piece from the rest of it.

“I’m going to take this back to the palace.” He answered as he stood and turned. “And replant it, hopefully it won’t die… like the rest… of my plants.” The last part came out with a short sigh. “It’s harder than I thought it would be, that’s for sure.” He said, shrugging with the plant still in hand.

Somehow, the prince hasn’t seemed to notice Cyn’s awkward flailing, and he admitted to himself he was glad for that.

He raised a brow as Prince Ezrin began to speak about taking the plant home. He seemed enthralled by plants. “If you don’t mind my asking, your majesty. Why do you care about plants so much? You were weeding on your own yesterday, too…” His cheeks flushed slightly the moment he’d brought that up. All he could think about was falling into the basil in front of the prince.

Suddenly - a distinctive rattling sound came from the trees. Oh gods. Eyes wide, Cyn looked around frantically, spotting a rattlesnake curled up near his roan mare’s hooves. Both she and the prince’s horse neighed in panic at the sight of the creature, and before Cyn even had time to think, the animals had bolted off through the woods, their thundering hoofbeats fading quickly as they vanished through the trees.

Still the rattlesnake shook its tail. Cyn stood as still as a statue. He watched it with sharp eyes, heart racing wildly, saying prayers to whatever gods existed or didn’t that the snake would go away. Thankfully - it did. After a while of flicking its little tongue at the humans, it seemed to decide they weren’t a threat, then slithered off back into the forest.

Cyn heaved a shaky sigh of relief, brushing his dark hair from his eyes. “That… was close,” he murmured. He was so glad to be safe that it took him a moment to process that their horses were gone. He blinked. “Uh. Our… our horses. Um…” He glanced to the prince helplessly.

Ezrin didn’t realize he had been completely frozen the entire time the snake was near them. He wasn’t afraid of snakes, but he was afraid of being bitten, by anything. So his flight or fight response kicked in… and he sat there— clutching the plant until the creature had slithered away and left the two of them alone.

He had to blink several times before registering the words the servant had spoken.

He paled at the sight of no horses. “Oh.” He said at first, only one word able to get past his lips. This was bad. He knew… kind of… which direction the palace was in…

But he didn’t know how far they’d gone and didn’t know how long it would take to return.

“Oh no.” He said nervously, “This is bad…” he scratched the back of his head, walked in a slow circle— “This…” he looked to the servant with worry, “Is bad.”

The prince seemed distressed. Of course he did. Nobles didn't seem to know what to do with themselves when they were away from their precious castles. Yet it had been the prince who first wanted so badly to run off alone into these woods... hmm.

"I believe the castle's that way," said Cyn, pointing west. "Might take a bit of walking, but we'll be fine!" He tried to remain optimistic - but inwardly, he was frustrated, to put it mildly. Stuck out in the middle of the woods with Prince Ezrin, of all people? And he'd probably still need to finish an insane amount of duties after all the walking. Gods, could this get any worse?

Cyn ran his hand through his hair with a huff. He did not want to tempt fate by thinking such things. "All right. We're fine. Snake's gone, horses seem to be safe, and I think they'll know the way back home, so we should see them when we get back. We just have to walk."

Rin did not like the idea of walking so far to get home. Usually if he was able to get there relatively around the time meetings begun, no one was ever worried about where he’d been— yeah a little annoyed or frustrated but never really worried.

If he was late, then there’d be plenty for them to worry about, especially if no one had seen besides this servant that he was now stuck in the forest with.

All he could do was hope that the King would not lose his head at him when he finally did return, late, and with a plant of all things.

Oh he was going to be furious, and rightfully so. Rin was the next in line, if anything happened to him, then his brother would be next and no one would be happy about that— he’d never set foot in an important meeting or ever really tried to do anything but travel and ignore the fact that he was also a prince. No one wanted someone inexperienced or unwilling to do the job— both of which Rin was. To an extent, sometimes he’d rather not be a prince, he’d rather learn botany and be with plants all day, tending to them without a care for who thought what.

So he took a deep breath. “You’re right. It’s just some walking… and with how long it’ll… uh… take we should probably start now.”

He headed off in the direction he’d pointed without a second to spare. Rin was, for once, eager to get back. But for all the wrong reasons. Awkwardly he glanced over his shoulder, unsure of what to say to pass the time.

Cyn started walking as well, trying to enjoy his time beneath the treetops while it lasted - the breeze rustling the leaves felt cool and soothing against his skin. But it was difficult to enjoy when all he could think about was the awkward situation he found himself in. And the fact that he had a lot of damned work to do when he got back. With a huff, Cyn shook his head to himself, wondering why he'd been stupid enough to accompany Prince Ezrin.

The silence between them was almost unbearable after a while. There were only their footfalls against wooded ground, and the occasional chirp of an insect through the trees. Cyn laced his fingers together behind his back and kicked a small rock out of his way. "So," he drawled. "You... like plants."

Gods. He wanted to slap himself.

Rin glanced over his shoulder at the observation. The breeze was welcome, and he allowed the noise of rustling leaves to pass before he deigned to answer him. “Yes.” He stated, unsure of what to say next.

With anyone else it would come naturally, only because, like a broken record, he would say the same four or five responses until they grew bored enough to leave him be.

But right now, with this specific conversation, he didn’t have to pretend. He could be honest.

For once in his life, “I don’t have much luck with them though, they always die in the end, it’s probably one of the only things I’m bad at.” He inwardly cringed at his choice of words but they were out and he had no chance to take them back so to cover up how he felt about these choices Ezrin kept on talking, “But I like them because they…” he thought to how nobles reacted to the news that hed begun a small garden and shook his head. “They don’t judge me like everyone else does. Granted, they can’t really speak so…” he shrugged, walking a little slower now. “I like them more than people, if that makes any sense. That and painting. I’ve never had a painting judge me either.”

Users who are viewing this thread

Back