New ST -- Some basic questions

EDIT: Also, just as a quick thing, how do you define if something can be PD'd? I know that any attack or environmental effect can be PD'd (assuming it's a proper PD and not affected by 'cannot dodge the undodgable/block the unblockable/row row fight the power') but how do you define an attack?
For example, the Alchemical artifact 'Null-Essence Grenade' from earlier: It doesn't affect characters (except spirits) but it does deattune all their non-N/A artifacts out to a radius of 200 yards. Could you PD this?

Any other examples of what kind of things you can't actually PD?
A Null-Essence Grenade is an indirect, non-damaging AoE attack. I'd rule that it cannot be PD'd as it in itself is not intended to cause damage to the PD-user.
I disagree! The null essence grenade is certainly a physical attack, regardless of whether it causes health levels of damage. It's deliberate, it's directed, and it has an effect that is very much detrimental to the target. It's unblockable and undodgeable (unless you can clear the area as part of your dodge), but certainly an attack. HGD and SSE will work.

IIRC Scroll of Errata has something to say on this subject.

Excluding Sidereal Martial Arts' date=' do Celestial Exalts have any reason to get a tutor to teach them the Martial Arts or are they just as well off spontaneously learning them as per normal charms?[/quote']
You need some manner of tutoring (this is normally, but not always, a Sifu) to learn any martial art that isn't your natural hero style. The special deal with Sideareal martial arts is they can only be taught by a Sidereal.

You can also re-invent any style, though this is much harder as decided by your ST. In particular, the animal styles (Tiger, Snake, etc) are easier to formulate, as they're all sort of naturally embedded into creation's essence. I recall reading something that suggested the notion the animal styles all already existed before martial arts were invented, and are 'discovered' rather than invented. Presumably you do this by observing, and meditating on the nature of, the style's namesake.

You can PD magical attacks with charms, as well as PDing AoE attacks with specific Charms.

Hell, you can PD Total Annihilation with at least one Charm (EM took all of the books when I kicked him out, but I know it's out there). An Essence sap is just a magical attack.

Through arduous study, a Dragon-Blooded can come up with Terrestrial MA styles and a Celestial Exalt can make Celestial styles, but this can take months or years in game time, so be prepared to work for it if you don't have a Sifu or an Artifact to teach you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back