Need Info on An-Teng's Caste System

Persell

Ten Thousand Club
Well, I know the Vietnamese Disney Landers (shallow, but it's fun to say so what the heck) have a caste system based on family, and my Malefactor used to be a religious scholar there. So:

How does the An-Tengi caste system work, and what kind of attitudes do you think a scholar-turned-prophet of Cecelyne would have?

And before you ask-he has a high Compassion, meaning her Darwinism is interpreted pretty creatively by him-ie, his calling affects him less then other Infernals.

From what I can gather the caste system works by the family that you were born in. You basically do the same sorts of jobs that your parents, grandparents, and great grandparents did. Sometimes you can deviate from it in the same industry or one that is closely related, if you or another family member finds extreme success in an industry, usually the whole family will drop what they've been doing and join you in it. If a child is born out of wedlock, then the child is usually given up, pale mistress, golden lord, serving the radiance, etc. Some of the time the mother is dishonored as well and kicked out of the family, the same could happen to the father if he is known. You keep to your own social class, nobles never marry peasants, nor visa versa. Women act as the powers behind the throne in household matters, the men may run things, administer the land, but the women get the ultimate veto and carry more authority than they do. Gender roles are both important and strict. Women don't travel much since they are seen as spiritually reinforcing the land through their family lines, and men marry into the families of their wives, leaving their own.

Don't know what kind of attitudes your character would have though.

I have vague recollections of looking into this once. The only thing I remembered about it was that I decided that all of the castes were based on aspects of the 25 astrological signs, five for each one showing differing aspects of that sign. I'm pretty sure none of that is actually canonical, but it might be. I also recall that I was going to design the tattoos for each caste by taking the stars used for each constellation representing the signs. For each of the signs, the five tattoos would differ by connecting the stars of that constellation in a different way.

wordman said:
I have vague recollections of looking into this once. The only thing I remembered about it was that I decided that all of the castes were based on aspects of the 25 astrological signs, five for each one showing differing aspects of that sign. I'm pretty sure none of that is actually canonical, but it might be. I also recall that I was going to design the tattoos for each caste by taking the stars used for each constellation representing the signs. For each of the signs, the five tattoos would differ by connecting the stars of that constellation in a different way.
That's not An-Teng, that's the city-states of Varang.

DasDom said:
That's not An-Teng, that's the city-states of Varang.
Ah yes! Wrong coast. (Or an extremely Relocated Neighborhood.)

So... uh... An-Teng has a caste system? I thought the castes there were pretty much....

Dragon-Blooded Tourists

Everyone else

Users who are viewing this thread

Back