• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy MvT: Magic vs Technology

Kylesar1

This is my loudest bork
Supporter
All throughout history, there have been debates between which is better for humanity, Science/Technology or Magic. Both have made compelling cases, but the overall verdict is in a deadlock, as each individual country has chosen its path. In either case, the government is highly oppressive to the other, driving the enthusiasts and sympathizers underground, completely shunning each other. Any usage of the other is/must be kept secret at all costs. This has made occult activity and gang activity high. This has also led to witch hunts, church-sanctioned assassinations, Gov't ordered assassinations, heavy riots, Nukes, and overall chaos.

tank_vs_dragon_by_epicsketchdesign-d7qs3po.jpg

Some countries have advanced via magic and others via technology. As a result the countries differ widely in most aspects. You can go from a steampunk industrial country with steam balloons to a magic country with Horses and Dragons.

The patriotism and pride in the people are immense. Some believe pretty wholly in their respective gods and the gods in question have actually shown themselves, but others believe that, with technological advancements, they can survive on their own. Both of these have been shown as Gods and Mechs wreck each other on the battlefield and how all countries did very well with the path they chose. Monarchs have been caught using technology and have been publicly executed. Governments have been exposed as a magic user and overthrown almost overnight. The fighting as brought EVERY race into the crossfire, from humans to gods (no such thing as an omnipotent being in this world), and literally every race in between.

The countries soon came to a truce. The land between the countries must be respected at all times, while the open air and open sea are neutral zones. No dragons on concrete and no air ships on castle grounds. The divide between the 2 are absolute by pure choice. No trading between the 2

3cc6342fd16da5f488cc0bde69a3db8d.jpg

The Magic side takes on......... well Magic. Magic Swords, Bows, Staffs, Dragons, Gods, Demons, Churches, Rituals, Alchemy, Monarchs, Relics

The Technology side takes on.......well Technology. Technologically advanced Swords and Bows, Guns, Rifles, Steam Jetpacks, Air ships, Prosthetics, Robotics, Mechs, Hospitals, Anti-Magic, Businesses, Government, Gears

And for a while, it worked...............

However, the Governments and Monarchs whose efforts have been driven underground are about ready to take down the other in their oppressed country.

Last edited by a moderator:
Great. Some interest. If you have some questions about anything, comments, or concerns, run it by me

[QUOTE="The Endergod]Extra interested. Is there any hope for some magi-tech being a thing?

[/QUOTE]
It highly depends. There are some blurred lines and straight-up blind spots that I may or may not know about, so if you have an idea for magitech that can be subtle, run it by me and I'll let you know, because you can be a technology enthusiast in a magic world or vice versa

I'll make the thread, but before I do so, I want to ask where should it take place, Magic country or Industrial country?

My second question is how should this play out? A full scale war or a resistance movement? Or if you have an idea, go ahead and shoot

Also, there are some places to put your character

Royal army (Magic army)

37th brigade (Steam army)

Resistance (Steam resistance)

Occult (Magic resistance)

Civilian

Merchant/Business owner (Either side)

wouldn't be better to be able to have the setting in both magic country and Industrial country?

you could do a full scale war and have a under ground group of people who want to put a stop to it and come together

also can we make characters that are either part of the monarch or government?

animegirl20 said:
wouldn't be better to be able to have the setting in both magic country and Industrial country?
It would, but if the action gets all focused on one place, it's gonna leave players out. Plus, unless someone wants to take over one side, it's pretty hard to run a dual setting plot

animegirl20 said:
you could do a full scale war and have a under ground group of people who want to put a stop to it and come together
Seems legit. This would also being magi-tech into play

animegirl20 said:
also can we make characters that are either part of the monarch or government?
Why not? Go ahead

I don't know I guess I just don't see how this would work with only one of the countries being the setting especially if the rp is about both countries that are at war

animegirl20 said:
I don't know I guess I just don't see how this would work with only one of the countries being the setting especially if the rp is about both countries that are at war
I get what you're saying, but running both the government and the monarchy is pretty hard work. It's not that I don't want to. It's that I don't know if I can alone.

Kylesar1 said:
I get what you're saying, but running both the government and the monarchy is pretty hard work. It's not that I don't want to. It's that I don't know if I can alone.
Oh! well that's why I asked if we could sign up for roles like that xD cause figured you would need people to help you with that lol. Well anyway this is just my opinion see what the others think

Yeah, I was thinking there would be a secret underground group of true neutral people that are way more advanced than the other two because they combine the two together like combustion engines that utilize fire magic to move heavy robotic constructs or something along those lines. Like they'd refuse to fight or ally themselves with either opposing forces and just want to separate themselves from all outside people. You could end up having a plot point where both side try to go find the civilization to utilize their fabled technology to end the war.

I has another question: Should I use an elemental affinity system? Like you choose an element and go for it?

elements_of_magic_by_elingo-d33oqjp.jpg

Something like this in my mind would prevent either side from blasting every element to the highest power. It's been too many RPs I've been in where you see a fire mage using ice and shadow/dark magic

This chart would be more lenient for a higher-up

It's all up to the players

Anyways, I'm about to finish getting the thread and CS up

Kylesar1 said:
I has another question: Should I use an elemental affinity system? Like you choose an element and go for it?
elements_of_magic_by_elingo-d33oqjp.jpg

Something like this in my mind would prevent either side from blasting every element to the highest power. It's been too many RPs I've been in where you see a fire mage using ice and shadow/dark magic

This chart would be more lenient for a higher-up

It's all up to the players

Anyways, I'm about to finish getting the thread and CS up
I'm a fan of that type of magic system, but instead of you can't use any other magic types, you master one and can go all out in that one, but you can still use the very basic o f other magic spells. Like if you specialize in shadow magic you can do all that shadow control manipulation stuff, but you can still shoot out some ice onto the ground to make it slipery or shoot out like a single small pointy icicle, but that's it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back