Musings on Warstriders as vehicles...

Captain Hesperus

Harbinger of the End Times and Apostle of Ghan
Administrator
Supporter
We've all wanted to do it, deep down. You've always wanted to have your favourite Exalt go all Gundam or Patlabor in twenty feet of magical material super-weapon. But then you sit there and read the rules. Essentially Warstriders are suits of armour. Suits of armour that max out your strength, boost your soak through the sky and impose often punishing Mobility, Fatigue and Essence commitment costs. Also, while castles, walls and equally humongous targets are fair game, you are crippled against anything man-sized.

And the thematic joy of having a mobile suit is, it can take crippling damage and still fight on. The enemy landmate rips the right arm off yours, so you just come back with a series of left hooks, sweep up your fallen right arm and use it to club in the other guy's head. In Exalted, the suit takes no damage, but you end up screaming in agony because 'Essence feedback' transfers the damage back through to you. Okay, I understand that the magitech idea that you can extend your senses out to the extremities of the suit, but even then your sense of touch is dulled, but yet when your 'Strider takes 'damage', it transfers all that damage back up to you.

So I propose an alteration of the current Warstrider rules. Treat the Warstrider as a unique type of vehicle, it's structure broken up into sections. The most heavily armoured section would be the torso, where the pilot is to be located, the next well armoured would be the legs, as they are most likely to be targeted by the majority of your opponents to immobilise you. Finally the arms (and possibly the head) are the least armoured, allowing flexibility and speed where it matters at a trade-off for heavy armour. On top of this, the different locations have health levels in the style of other vehicles. But here is where the unique aspects of the Warstrider come in. When the Warstrider takes damage that gets through its armour, the pilot can opt to take none, half (rounded down) or all of the damage dice before they are rolled. These can then be soaked with Stamina and Charms. Any dice allocated to the Warstrider are rolled and the damaged location loses health levels as normal.

As the locations of the Warstrider take damage, there are deliterous effects as with vehicles, but the effects are dependent of the location.

Arms, for instance, as they take more damage, would lose functionality until the point they literally fall or are torn from the torso. Legs would lose mobility and cause more difficulty in moving across changing terrains as they become damaged, with pronounced limping and eventual immobilisation. Torso damage is a bit more problematic. Since it is the most vital and most heavily armoured part of the Warstrider, I would assume that that is where the most essential functions of the Warstrider (along with the pilot) can be found. As the torso takes damage, the pilot's ability to choose where damage is allocated between themselves and the Warstrider is more haphazard, with the pilot taking more and more of the potential damage as the feedback systems malfunction. Additionally, in-built Essence-powered weapons would become more erratic as their linkage to the Warstrider's Essence channels become disrupted. Finally, the Warstrider's power systems would suffer a catastrophic failure which could result in either a total shutdown of the Warstrider or a violent Essence explosion. Heads, if they are sufficiently advanced, might lose the function of Essence visors and other sensing arrays, and even get ripped off, leaving the pilot's head poking out the top of the torso (if the suit is quite new or basic) or totally blind within the torso of the machine, if the Warstrider had a totally hologlyphic visualisation suite installed.

My idea's in the early stages of development so I'd love input from anyone.

Captain Hesperus

I think Warstriders draw more from Escaflowne than from Gundam, which doesn't have dismemberments of any mecha that I can recall.

I'd rather not have to get out my Battletech stuff to play Exalted, personally. But I suppose some people might enjoy it.

Before going too far down the warstrider path, take a good look at Heroic Journey Publications game Mecha. It sounds to me like it might scratch exactly the itch you are after here. After reading it, I got extremely depressed for having played BattleTech for so many years instead of Mecha. (Not that it existed back then, but still...)

The free quick start should tell you enough about the game for you to decide if you dig it or not. (In fact, it's one of the best handled "quick start" versions I've seen. Detailed enough to actually play, but leaving enough out that you want to get the real thing.)

(Designing an Exalted based campaign of Mecha might be very interesting. Hmm....)

A set of alternative warstrider rules for focused games would be cool. One suggestion though... If all the parts take damage separately, then AoE damage would be applied to the whole suit, multiplying the effectiveness of such tactics many times. I would be content with tactics that use crippling effects, combined with good stunts, being the mechanic for dismembering a strider.

Okay, then. So my 'Warstriders as vehicles' thing is a little to complex, a bit too much paperwork for a swift-moving combat. So how about this:

Warstriders are Strength-multipliers.

Warstriders are Soak-multipliers.

Warstriders are Movement-multipliers.

Warstriders are hampered because of the squishy thing inside them.

So....

What if Warstriders were Health Level-multipliers?

Each variety of Warstrider provides extra Health Levels to the pilot, representing the 'Strider's in-built ability to channel the raw damage of incoming attacks away from the pilot and into non-vital systems. These Warstrider Health Levels are only accessible while actually piloting the Warstrider and once lost can only be regained through Maintenance. Thus a brand new Warstrider off the production line would have it's full 'Health Levels', while one found in a Solar tomb may be missing a fair few (or even all of them). So for each Health Level lost, the Warstrider accrues more 'service time' and requires longer maintenance and repair time.

I think this is a more streamlined version of what I was aiming at.

Captain Hesperus

Seraphina said:
Isn't this basically how hell striders work?
Is it? I'll admit, I've not really looked much at the Infernals book, not had much of an interest as yet. I shall have a browse....

<EDIT>

Okay, after looking at it, I see what you mean. However, Hellstriders derive their Health Levels from the sum of the Willpower + Essence of the constituent demons. Obviously, this won't work for a Warstrider since it has no Willpower or Essence. Instead, I'd imagine the Exalted would give the Warstrider a lot of the lower wound penalty Health Levels, to increase its combat effectiveness, thus:

Scout:

+ 4x -0

+ 3x -1

+ 2x -2

Common:

+ 3x -0

+ 4x -1

+ 3x -2

Noble:

+ 3x -0

+ 5x -1

+ 4x -2

Royal:

+ 4x -0

+ 6x -1

+ 5x -2

+ 1x -4

Colossus:

+ 6x -0

+ 5x -1

+ 4x -2

+ 3x -4

</EDIT>

Captain Hesperus

Does anyone think these Health Levels are too great/too few for the types of Warstriders? Anyone think that they should be different?

Captain Hesperus

Does anyone think these Health Levels are too great/too few for the types of Warstriders? Anyone think that they should be different?
Captain Hesperus
I think these are way too many health levels to just be tacking right alongside an Exalt's health levels, but then Warstrider weapons deal rediculous amounts of damage.

I would suggest ditching the idea of warstriders granting health levels that have a wound penalty. It has the problem of "Who's health levels took that damage?" Instead, I'd say go with only -0 health levels and explicity say that the Warstrider's health levels go first.

I'd say the HL idea looks good if you rule it to make the 'strider take all damage until it's HLs are spent. The wound penalties represent penalties to all actions using the warstrider due to systems being damaged or destroyed. "Healing" your warstrider through repair is only natural. Once the 'strider is incapacitated, it is rendered immobile and unpowered, meaning the pilot had better bail or he's toast. At this point the pilot has taken no damage, but his mech is in pieces and he's on foot facing down whatever enemy hardware wrecked his toy. It's a good feel and fairly simple mechanics. I like it!

Obviously the number of HLs each 'Strider has is open to change. I envision that the Health Levels of the 'Strider go hand-in-hand with the pilot's, so that once the Warstrider's taken all it's -0 levels in damage, the pilot loses their -0 levels. Then the Warstrider starts losing its -1, and the pilot starts losing their -1s. In this way it emulates the 'Warstrider is armour' aspect of the artefact, but with out some MA Gank Monkey running up with his uber-Combo that starts off with 'Armour Penetrating Fang' and gets progressively more damaging from there in. In this case, yes, the Snake Stylist gets through the Strider's armour, but only after he's torn a chunk out of the 'Strider itself can he get to the soft squishy bit in the middle.

If the Warstrider has already taken Health Levels of damage, each level counts as an hour's heavy use in terms of repair and maintenance. If the 'Strider is used before the damage is repaired, it still suffers its current dice penalties and the pilot will take any damage inflicted until their HLs are on the same penalties as the Warstrider. In this way, the bonus health levels can end up being something of a pain as if you don't repair the 'Strider back to at least its -0 health levels, the pilot will be on a dice penalty straight away and they will lose their -0 with the first leve of damage the Warstrider takes.

Captain Hesperus

If the idea is to represent the vehicle aspect of a warstrider more than it's armor aspect, I don't think it should be possible for conventional attacks to damage the pilot until the vehicle is disabled or destroyed. Just consider it 100% cover. I would apply the armor's full soak normally to attacks against it, of course, and 12-24 health levels seems conservative, if anything. It would be reasonable to let Piercing damage get through to the pilot, but probably split successes between suit and pilot evenly.

It would be cool to have an ancillary system available which lets the pilot burn their own life-force (HL) to fuel a network of Moonsilver nano-machines which instantly repair battle damage. Mechanically, the pilot could transfer damage from the 'strider to himself as a diceless miscellaneous action.

Just to qualify my ideas, I should explain that Warstriders are very rare and powerful in my game. Even in the First Age, Factory Cathedrals were singularly unique and only a couple dozen of these facilities ever existed. Even the Realm only fields a handful of Warstriders at a time, and Lookshy has around 15 of the machines, of which 12 are the Common variety.

A warstrider in my game is a boss-fight at the least, and a clash between one 'strider and another, or a warrior Lunar in a massive shape, is the stuff of modern legend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back