More Lunar Inspired Confusion

Creeping Chaos

Thanks everyone who helped with my previous round of questions, this time I have something a little more direct and simple to ask.

What is the Appearance cap on dice bonuses for social rolls? I have done my best to read through the Exalted core book and divine the answer after having read the Perfect Symmetry Lunar charm (which doubles said cap) but no amount of probing has brought an answer to me. The game doesn't even really detail how appearance seems to affect rolls (as far as I can tell) and my best guess is "If you're socializing with someone who could be attracted to you, add your appearance" except there seems to be some implication of "Unless their appearance is higher than yours, then subtract the difference" which makes me think it's "Add or subtract the difference in your appearances as appropriate" but I still can't find anything concrete in the rules.

My apologies if I have simply overlooked something, but your assistance would be most appreciated.

If your appearance is greater than someone else, you gain an MDV bonus equal to the difference, capping at +3. If your appearance is less than theirs, you take a penalty to your MDV, capping at -3.

Chaka said:
If your appearance is greater than someone else, you gain an MDV bonus equal to the difference, capping at +3. If your appearance is less than theirs, you take a penalty to your MDV, capping at -3.
Making Perfect Symmetry and the Third Appearance Excellency a really cheap, effective universal social attack.

Okay, cool, hrm, now to decide if I want to abuse Alluring Features + Third Appearance Excellency. Face so pretty it causes mind rape! :P

Okay' date=' cool, hrm, now to decide if I want to abuse Alluring Features + Third Appearance Excellency. Face so pretty it causes mind rape! :P [/quote']
Seriously, those are the only social charms my Changing Moon has had the entire game and I still don't need anything else.

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=5789

Been there, done that. Don't even need the Excellency most of the time to get a full +3 bonus. Just Flawless Appearance Focus for a specialization in appearance. :P Do need it occasionally to get +6 from Perfect Symmetry.

What I've been looking at is using the Merit Alluring Features (4 points) which raises the cap you can get from your appearance by four, if my memory serves, as well as giving you 3 bonus dice for all social interactions with anyone who could be attracted to you, and so on, giving me a much more interesting cap of +7 to make using the Excellency worth my while. I'm not feeling like Perfect Symmetry is worth using under those circumstances, though.

It's Enchanting Features, actually, and you've got the bonuses reversed there.

You get a 4 die bonus on all social rolls against someone normally attracted to you, and increases maximum benefit from having a higher appearance by 3.

It's also really poorly worded, as it says 'the limit on the maximum dice bonus acquired from having a higher Appearance increases by three,' which is kind of pointless, as a higher Appearance doesn't grant dice. *shrugs*

And of course, taking it to mean (as I assume it was supposed to) that it increases the MDV penalty business, one then needs to figure out if it is applied before or after the doubling effect of Perfect Symmetry.

Pretty useful either way. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back