Modernis Mundi as a PDF...and the TLSA Map is done.

Bitch, bitch, bitch...

Next thing you know, you'll want color cover art, and an index, and I'll bet you'll bitch about the index then too, wouldn't you?

:wink:

Bitch, bitch, bitch...
Next thing you know, you'll want color cover art, and an index, and I'll bet you'll bitch about the index then too, wouldn't you?

:wink:
Actually... hmmm you got me there I think ^^

Building bookmarks into the PDF would be even more useful than a ToC, though a basic ToC would be handy too for printed versions. Its a lot of pages to have know idea where anything is.

That was always my main problem with TLSA in it's original format -- It seemed to be organized like an old school WoD book -- that is, not very well.

I think some kind of TOC or bookmarks would help a lot.

OK, so how do I build those in?  I just exported Modernis from OpenOffice, so I'm not sure how to build bookmarks.

A ToC might be a good idea though.

Not having any true answer to your question, I will nonetheless suggest without foundation that so-called "Anchors" may have something to do with adding bookmarks and exporting them from OO. I'm afraid I don't know much about how they work besides that in a conventional OO document they're used as intradocument links.

Give the OO help files a go, I suppose?

Styles are your friend. If you apply the built-in "heading" styles to your section headers (should be in a drop down menu on the toolbar), you can then do an Insert - Indexes and Tables - Indexes and Tables and set the type to "Table of Contents". There is magic in the heading styles that makes them automatically get entered into the TOC with proper pages and so on.

If you want to change the formatting of the heading styles (which you probably will), right click on something that has the style applied to it and select "Edit Paragraph Style". Set the fonts the way you want. When you click OK, all text given that style will change automatically.

I've got a writer's group later today, but I'll give them a look see later tonight and tomorrow.

wordman said:
Styles are your friend. If you apply the built-in "heading" styles to your section headers (should be in a drop down menu on the toolbar), you can then do an Insert - Indexes and Tables - Indexes and Tables and set the type to "Table of Contents". There is magic in the heading styles that makes them automatically get entered into the TOC with proper pages and so on.
If you want to change the formatting of the heading styles (which you probably will), right click on something that has the style applied to it and select "Edit Paragraph Style". Set the fonts the way you want. When you click OK, all text given that style will change automatically.
Neat! I assume the "Add TOC" function is one of the options in the extended "Export to PDF" dialog?

Samiel said:
Neat! I assume the "Add TOC" function is one of the options in the extended "Export to PDF" dialog?
No, this is a feature of OpenOffice (and Word, of course). It embeds the ToC in the .doc. There are addons to Word that can do things like turn heading styles into bookmarks during PDF export, but it doesn't look like OpenOffice is that sophisticated yet.

I've played around with a full version of Acrobat myself, but having not used other authoring software, I can't say which is more useful. I know Adobe products to be either golden, or a slug in the ass.

wordman said:
it doesn't look like OpenOffice is that sophisticated yet.
Careful you, you're about to speak sacrilage. Kindly recall which office suite was first to offer PDF export of the two? Yea, that's right, OO. The good one.

More seriously, you might want to suggest it to OO if it's a missing feature, or even code it yourself and send it in if you're feeling l33t. I know i couldn't..

Samiel said:
Kindly recall which office suite was first to offer PDF export of the two?
Um, that would be the first Mac OS X compatible version of Word.

As for more advanced PDF exporting to OO, looks like it's been done.

Hiss boo. It was actually more likely to be Staroffice, but between OO and MacWord I can't offer an opinion; I've never considered buying the latter. Certainly OO was the first sign of PDF export I saw, to my delight. Word for Windows was miles behind.

Samiel said:
Word for Windows was miles behind.
I think that's because Microsoft was forced to enhance the Mac release of Word. Mac users tend to demand useful software, for some damnable and unfathomable reason.

Mmm. Quality.

I tend to stick with Open Source where I can, and so far NeoOffice isn't letting the side down on Mac despite being a Beta.

The only biggies I ever encountered with OS are Firefox, where I just prefer Opera (Though Firefox is great), and 7-Zip which deleted my entire Exalted Book collection permenantly because of an error in archiving them. Never again.

I should really get back into learning Java so I can contribute or customise; I'd like to hack Anathema a little, but my fu is weak.

Flagg said:
I think that's because Microsoft was forced to enhance the Mac release of Word. Mac users tend to demand useful software, for some damnable and unfathomable reason.
There were a couple of other reasons for this, too. The main one was was that OS X (well, it's APIs, more correctly) gives a lot of stuff for free. For example, PDF manipulation uses a lot of built-in stuff. So the Mac Office team tried getting as many "freebies" like this as they could. In the initial release, nearly any feature that departed from the Win32 version could be traced to some feature of the Mac programming APIs.

Another reason is that the two prior Mac Office releases were unmitigated pieces of crap, and everyone including Microsoft knew it. Worse, they replaced some extremely good software that came before them. Word 5.1a, for example, might be the best word processor ever created for the Mac (certainly for the Motorola 68k series processors). Word 6, however, was nearly unusable and its follow up not much better. With the OS X stuff, Microsoft abandoned the "cross-compile" approach and built real Mac software again, I think with a whole new team assembled for the purpose.

As an FYI to gauge the popularity of your stuff, Jakk, there have been 178 requests for the Modernis Mundi PDF in the past 7 days. 59 for the map.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back