Misericorde

“So it’s settled then.” Mason would comment boldly. “We’ll meet up at least every Saturday sometime?” This of course would probably end up with them discussing plans and times or if they were busy or not. Hopefully finding a day and time they could all agree to once a week at the very least. Mason actually had a day planner of sorts, willing to write off mostly anyone for this group only.

IF the convo got to any of Jesse’s grounding situation again Mason would, after awhile get an idea. Grinning he suggested allowing Jesse to let him test his powers on his father and brother maybe? It would be the perfect test after all. Getting Jesse ungrounded somehow, of course this meant they would have to talk in private some over what the main goal was, and what Mason was going to try to say and attempt. It ended with a comment from Mason. “Who knows, even if I don’t have powers, maybe I can work some sort of deal out with them.”

Over all he was happy to have them back, although in truth he felt a tad abandoned by them as well. He was just waiting for some excuse for them to run off again. He managed to keep everyone else close, yet the group he wanted closes to the most. They had slipped from his hands like grains of sand, one by one. By the time it was just him and Jesse the fear of the last one leaving him had drove him away first. Sure he felt shameful for running in away, but they probably would never understand even if he tried to explain.

Mason was probably the only one who thought a horror movie was a bad idea in their situation. He easily gave in never the less. Horror movies always seeming too fake for the most part for him to connect with, cheesy in ways, even after a devil started to share his body. It was just the fact that the people seemed so stupid in their actions. It was midway through the movie that he was semi deep into his own thoughts, thinking over their own horror of sorts of a night. Was the horror movie they were in more a comedy base . . . or was it going to get bad real fast real soon.

After the movie Mason pulled himself a moment alone to call his parents and let them know he was fine and out with some friends. Sure it seemed like a dork move but . . . after Halloween and such it was the least he could do, and if they didn’t accept at least this part of him . . . When he caught up and was asked about the movie Mason just shook his head. “I never did get the whole horror movie thing. Maybe if the characters in it had a bit more common sense I could enjoy it more.”

Of course he was a touch surprised when Angel spoke of not wanting to go home. Wondering why, but allowing that thought to quickly pass. “I can stay out as late as needed. I may just need to phone my folks back letting them know I am spending the night somewhere.” He easily could find places to crash if need be, and if desperate the park had nice benches. He had crashed there a few times after doing a few stupid popular things due to peer pressure.

Dinner and movie were a bit strange for Jesse, but not as much as it may have felt for the others. Jesse was used to feeling awkward and out of place, used to having little conversation between himself and others that was not direct orders or insults, and so he was, if not comfortable, somewhat content. Just to be with the others at all, to be included, was a huge step up from his usual daily routine, and he couldn't deny that he was excited for the future.

Being the horror movie enthuiast that he was, Jesse thoroughly enjoyed the film, and especially was intrigued by how frightened Angel seemed to be by it. Each time he watched her squirm and cringe and hide her eyes, he wished he was sitting beside her and not Mason, that he had the nerve to take her hand or put an arm around her. Next time...definitely next time...if he had the guts. However, he was disappointed to note that no one else shared the same interest. So a next time might not even come.

He was encouraged to hear that their meeting would now be a regular thing, however, and he told himself that no matter what,he would make sure he wasn't grounded on Saturdays anymore.

"You would do that? That would be really, really cool of you," he said with surprise to Mason's offer to try to "persuade" his father and brother to release him from his punishment. "Um...there are a lot of other things you could convince them to do too, maybe. If you wanted to."

When Angel mentioned not wanting to go home, and Mason said he could stay out late, the last thing he wanted to tell them was he was probably already in quite a lot of trouble for not coming home after school. Instead he nodded, saying, "Yeah, I can too. Well...I will, anyway. Stay out. If you guys are."

(Sorry for the wait. The muses just aren't speaking to me.)

Lucy was quiet. She didn't really have much to say. So they saw a movie together. It wasn't as if they were magically friends again. They were still at square one. It was dark and quiet, with only the voices of the other three to be heard for what seemed like miles. "I can't do this every Saturday. My brother and I have band practice most weekends." It was just Max, her and two other guys, friends of her brother. They weren't anything impressive yet but they were rapidly improving. Practice was taken rather seriously. Though she was only a bass player. It probably wasn't necessary that she be there.

She took a peek over at Jesse. She wanted to spend more time with him but . . . "What about your dad? If Mason doesn't really have a mind control ability or if he can't negotiate for you, what's going to happen?" She didn't want Jesse to get in any more trouble. She knew how ruthless his dad and brother could be, even if they never really touched him.

As the four continued walking, Lucy noticed how eerily still and quiet it was. Normally on a Friday night, there would be at least a few teenagers out on the streets making the mistakes of a lifetime. Yet she couldn't see or hear anyone. A few street lamps above them, began to flicker for a bit. Ending as soon as it started. It was eerie. A chill crawled up Lucy's spine and she shuddered. She swatted a fly that seemed intent on buzzing around her ear.

Frustrated, she smacked the insect against a lamp post, killing it on impact. But more came to replace it. It was a bit much, considering that there was no garbage or corpses near the group. What were so many flies doing together? She kept swatting violently at the mass. Finally the cloud parted and before the group was a lone old woman standing underneath the light of the street lamp. She stood there, unmoving for a while before turning to the teens. "Oh, good evening to you. It's a lovely night, isn't it?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back