• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Looking for those interested in a 3.5 D&D adventure

Ixidor92

Game master
I'm just doing a quick interest check on how many people would be interested in doing a D&D adventure using 3.5 rules. It's my favorite version, but I don't see anyone currently using it, with 5th edition being all the rage. I'm pretty open to different settings and allow just about all expansions.

I'd be interested in playing a Human Wizard. As much as I'm currently enjoying 5e, I'd like to try out 3.5 while I have the chance ( ;) )

@dr xenon

I don't have a plot in place yet, this was an interest check in those who would want to play D&D 3.5

As for general ideas, I basically use the base ideas for dungeons and dragons 3.5, and add allow pretty much every single expansion that exists. The world is usually one I've made to allow for multiple nations that have different populations and different focuses on what classes are normally present.

You still need a person? If ya do, gimme a shout. I play a hilarious barbarian.

xD I'm a bit rusty, but yes, that was my role in the last campaign I was in! I always went first, greatsword out, with the cleric leader right behind me.

@JayTee

@welian

@dr xenon

@alcoholiccat

I thank all of your for your interest, and I think we have enough people to actually make a decent party. As I have no overarching adventure plot planned yet, I thought I would pose the question to all of you, starting with overall level and character strength.

Option 1: start at level 1, end somewhere around level 15. Characters will start out as nothing out of the ordinary (adventuring wise anyway) but will become great as they grow.

Option 2: Start at level 8, end somewhere around level 23. Characters already have many years of experience under their belts, and the campaign will likely end with a villain that threatens the entire material plane if not more.

Option 3: Start at level 15, end somewhere ridiculous. Characters are already heroes, but end up on a quest through the different planes. Warning: I do not have that much experience dealing with characters of this level, so the mileage may vary.

The villains and scope of the adventures largely depends on what level you start at, so what preferences does everyone have?

Option 2 sounds pretty good. We're already cool guys (or gals), but we have the potential to be gods!

Any house rules we should be aware of? Are you willing to accept house rule suggestions?

Um, I do use a couple of house rules. I'll try to get them all out here

1: As in pathfinder, cantrips and orisons are not used up when you cast them. I don't find this game-breaking since most of the time it just means you can use detect magic and read magic without preparing them multiple times.

2: Clerics automatically gain proficiency in their deity's favored weapon. This is more of a theme change than anything else.

3: I don't know if this really counts as a house rule, but I'm going to put it up here: I don't use hard and fast rules when it comes to dealing with NPC's. I will call for diplomacy checks, bluff checks, etc. But the DC I determine based on how you've interacted with them up to that point and what you're saying. In other words, I don't use the: hostile-unfriendly-indifferent-friendly-helpful system, but rather try to figure it out organically. If you've been nice to someone, the DC for convincing them will be lower. If they're meek, then an intimidate check will be more effective. That sort of thing.

4: With regards to racial choice: I allow pretty much ANY race that has a level adjustment no higher than +1. So you could be an Aasimar or a half-giant, but not a thri-keen or a minotaur. However, I ignore the level adjustment when it's that low. So yes, at level one this causes a bit of a power spike, but at higher levels it doesn't cause enough for me to worry about. It is worth noting there are some races that I will not allow even if their adjustment is +1 or +0. For example: I don't allow the dvati, because the idea of one soul sharing two bodies opens up a giant can of worms I really don't want to deal with.

As for house rule suggestions: I am fully willing to listen to any ideas you have used previously, but don't be offended if I turn them down.

The cantrip and social interaction rules both are really nice, I like them (especially the cantrip one, as a caster ( ;) ))

I'm hoping I can use the spell point variant rule for my Wizard. Considering how people can memorize the alphabet, the presidents, US states + capitals, and Pi up to the thirty million digits, the memorization rules never made any sense to me.

I'm hoping we can waive the xp cost for crafting magical items, since I am the arcane scientist/engineer, I like to craft magic items for the group, but don't want to gimp myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay: On the XP cost, yes. That's something I've used before. You'll have to work on materials for everyone I imagine, and it will still have normal gold and spell costs. Spells will still have XP costs though. Can't have you spamming things like wish and meteor swarm whenever.

One the spell points, sorry no. There are a two major reasons for this: One, I am not that familiar with how the exact converting of spells to points goes. The second is the big sticking point for me. I use psionics in my campaigns, and I like to have a very clear dividing line between the two, to the point where psionics/magic transparency is only half-effective. (IE: if someone uses detect magic on a psionic item, they will only read half of its normal strength. If someone uses intellect fortress to reduce damage from powers, it will only be half as effective against spells) but the bottom line is they are very different forms of supernatural power. Since psionics already uses a power point system, I would prefer to lock that to psionics, while magic uses the memorization system.

Would you allow me to port over the spell preparation rules from 5E, then? It always seemed incredibly strange to have to memorize, for example, Haste, twice if I wanted to buff our front liners more than once. Those rules feel more organic to me, and are different enough from psionics that the two remain distinct.

I would say yes . . . but then that would largely invalidate choosing to play a spontaneous spell caster over one who prepares spells. If you are able to prepare a suite of spells, then choose from them at will, you are essentially playing a sorcerer, except you have access to a much larger pool of spells in exchange for not getting quite as many spells each day. I'd say if you don't want to use the preparation rules, go for a spontaneous caster instead of a wizard.

What I CAN do, is offer some spontaneous casting features to the wizard from some of the expansions I have. How attached are you to having a familiar?

Not very, haha. I find them very useful at lower levels, but once you get access to 3rd level spells, their usefulness tapers off pretty fast.

Okay, give me a few minutes (or several) to look up the specifics on this, but the short of it is that you gain a spontaneous casting ability similar to what the cleric and druid have in exchange for not having a familiar. You can channel the spell energy of one of your prepared spells into a spell of the same level. For clerics it's the cure spell for that level (3rd level spell becomes cure serious wounds) and for druids it's summon nature's ally. For this alternate option, it depends on your wizard specialization. So an enchanter would get spontaneous access to things like suggestion and charm monster, while an evoker would get things like burning hands and fireball most likely. Like I said, need to look at specifics.

That's very generous, thank you! I was thinking of using Uncanny Forethought, as well, but it's a little cheesy, so I wont argue if you decide to ban that.

Okay, so looking through the expansions did not exactly give me what I was looking for. Just a quick check, how familiar are you with wizard specialization in 3.5?

Fairly familiar as I'm a power gamer at heart (with a focus on empowering the party as a whole, not just myself) so I try to do my research.

Okay, so here's what I think I can do. There is a variant of wizard called the "domain wizard". In this, you pick a domain of arcane magic, much like a cleric chooses domains. Instead of getting an extra specialization spell, you get one domain spell, like a cleric. This domain spell is based on what domain you choose. There are domains for every school of magic, as well as a few others (Fire, storm, cold, etc.) You automatically learn the domain spells, they do not count against your 2 spells learned every level. In addition, your domain spell is cast at +1 caster level (regardless of whether you cast it from the domain slot or prepared it in a normal slot). NOW. What I could allow, feasibly, is for you to be able to spontaneously cast your domain spell, though if you did so I would remove the +1 caster level in exchange for the flexibility. Also, using this, you don't choose forbidden schools.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back