Limit on Hearthstones

Forn Clakes

ECR Refugee
Ok, despite playing Exalted for over a year, i'm unsure to the answer for this question, so, sorry for being a dumbass  :roll:

Is there a limit to the amount of hearthstones a character can carry, or the amount of manses they can attune to?

Cheers,

~FC.

Is there a limit to the amount of hearthstones a character can carry' date=' or the amount of manses they can attune to?[/quote']
No. However a single character can only benefit from the Essence regeneration of one Hearthstone/Manse at a time, whichever happens to be the highest.

-S

Stillborn said:
Is there a limit to the amount of hearthstones a character can carry' date=' or the amount of manses they can attune to?[/quote']
No. However a single character can only benefit from the Essence regeneration of one Hearthstone/Manse at a time, whichever happens to be the highest.

-S
does anyone else see the link between Hearthstones and Materia from Final fantasy VII? Except that Materia is way cooler and more practical.

Marquis said:
does anyone else see the link between Hearthstones and Materia from Final fantasy VII? Except that Materia is way cooler and more practical.
No, nobody else did.

Hearthstones are pretty practical, and can be quite powerful in their effect - look at some of the four- and five-dot stones in published material.  They may not summon Knights of the Round, but that's over the top even for Exalted.

They can still get the essence form the hearthstone/manse to power items though.  So you could have a level 2 attaches to a Daikliave paying the attunement costs for you and still have a level 4 attached to an artifact holder  tht gives you a personal regeneration of 8 an hour.

memesis said:
Marquis said:
No, nobody else did.

Hearthstones are pretty practical, and can be quite powerful in their effect - look at some of the four- and five-dot stones in published material.  They may not summon Knights of the Round, but that's over the top even for Exalted.
this was really more intended to be a joke.

sorry, maybe i should have added a:  :roll:  just to drive that point home.

psychoph said:
They can still get the essence form the hearthstone/manse to power items though.  So you could have a level 2 attaches to a Daikliave paying the attunement costs for you and still have a level 4 attached to an artifact holder  tht gives you a personal regeneration of 8 an hour.
That's a neat trick.  Where does it say you can pay the attunement cost for items via hearthstone?

Stillborn said:

-S
Cool, thanks.

Just one more thing: how about the effects granted by hearthstones?  Can a character have multiple effects on at once?

~FC.

Stillborn said:

-S
Cool, thanks.

Just one more thing: how about the effects granted by hearthstones?  Can a character have multiple effects on at once?

~FC.
As many as they have slots for.

memesis said:
psychoph said:
That's a neat trick.  Where does it say you can pay the attunement cost for items via hearthstone?
Could have swore that was in savant and sorcerer as part of the build your own artifact.  Maybe attunement is the wrong word I keep getting that and activation mixed up.  I also got that impression from Ruins of Rathless for the sky ships that take a level 3 hearthstone to power up.

I don't have my book on me so i can't really look it up I could defintiely be wrong since I haven't even beem playing a year, more like 2 weeks.

psychoph said:
Could have swore that was in savant and sorcerer as part of the build your own artifact.  Maybe attunement is the wrong word I keep getting that and activation mixed up.  I also got that impression from Ruins of Rathless for the sky ships that take a level 3 hearthstone to power up.
You can BUILD artifacts that are hearthstone-powered, yes.  But they must be built that way.

After rereadingthe main book I am utterly and absolutely wrong.  page 338 of the corebook states:

Many items made of the Five Magical Materials have

sockets in them, for the mounting of these crystals. When

an Exalted is attuned to a Manse, places that Manse's

Hearthstone into an item made with one of the Five

Magical Materials and then invests Essence in the item to

attune its resonance to her own, the Hearthstone resonates

as well.

So you actually only get the hearthstone benefits if you are attuned to the magical item.  The stuff about the SKyships must have been that they require a hearthstone to run and that you don't get the benefits of that hearthstone.

Stillborn said:
No. However a single character can only benefit from the Essence regeneration of one Hearthstone/Manse at a time, whichever happens to be the highest.-S
This just came up in my game, but I can't find were in the book it says only 1 or only the highest.  Could you point out a page number please?  WW, vague as usual.

uteck said:
This just came up in my game, but I can't find were in the book it says only 1 or only the highest.  Could you point out a page number please?  WW, vague as usual.
I know it's stated somewhere, be it in a book or errata, but I can't find it at the moment.

-S

p. 145:

In its raw state, the Hearthstone causes the Exalted to regain twice the Manse's rating in Essence per hour.  The Hearthstone must be touching skin to do this, and only one Hearthstone may grant this benefit at a time.

Thanks, that will clear it up.  Figures they have this importat piece of info not in the sction that it applies to.  :roll:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back