Keychain #191 - #195

You've got that comic-shrinking issue, again.

Only, because this is a short comic it's become a comic-expanding issue. Four pixels too tall, specifically.

I've heard the Immaculate Order and Exalted summarized as: "Now here's *awesome* powers -- but don't use them! Or color-coded, shaolin power rangers will show up and kick your ass."

Nice to see Marena get a big slice of Humble Pie she's rather overdue for. It'll be sweet to see her sister save her (presumably the source of her Dawn exaltation).

Jukashi said:
I'll desticky the old one' date=' but it's not my place to make the new one.[/quote']
:3

Now who do I need to poke with a stick to get a new poll?
It's up to the people who actually obsess over the comic to make their own blasted poll.
Just make sure it's complete if you make it.

Jtuxyan said:
I've heard the Immaculate Order and Exalted summarized as: "Now here's *awesome* powers -- but don't use them! Or color-coded, shaolin power rangers will show up and kick your ass."
Teehee, mahvelous. Made my day this

Jtuxyan said:
I've heard the Immaculate Order and Exalted summarized as: "Now here's *awesome* powers -- but don't use them!
Pretty much any 'good-aligned' organization that gives you special training operates like this. If they didn't, they'd have a lot less opposition because all the power-hungry sick freaks would join their ranks.

If you look at the members of the Immaculate Order, you'll notice that they don't operate like that at all. They're a bunch of lowlifes.

Jtuxyan said:
Nice to see Marena get a big slice of Humble Pie she's rather overdue for. It'll be sweet to see her sister save her (presumably the source of her Dawn exaltation).
Man, I just realized -- having two Anathema in such a short time must've been sort of embarrassing for her family. To put it mildly.
(Of course, her mother is a half-caste celestial. Is that even something you can be without getting executed in the Realm?)

Aquillion said:
(Of course, her mother is a half-caste celestial. Is that even something you can be without getting executed in the Realm?)
That is, a god-blooded descendant of a celestial god, i.e. one that lives in Yu-Shan. And god-blooded are permitted in the Realm; it's their parents who get in trouble, not them, and that's only if they're mortal.

Jukashi said:
It occurs to me that perhaps I show my characters getting beaten up a little too often for supposedly invincible divine champions. Writing stories where their power is emphasised, however, is tricky, considering they generally need to have some threat to them to make the story interesting.
I shall see what I can do.
My suggestion is to make use of the Inverse Ninja Principle - a lone ninja is clearly a badass, but an army of a thousand ninjas is composed of wusses and is a trivial threat.

So far, we've mostly seen the characters up against relatively potent enemies - Abyssals, a high Essence Alchemical, etc - lone ninjas. But what we haven't really seen is them carve through armies of extras. Sure, there were those bandits or whatever they killed around the start of the Alchemical story arc, but that was just a handful.

My suggestion would be to have them face off against some petty tyrant of supernatural power - a terrestrial god, perhaps, or a corrupt Lunar, or an Infernal - who has an army. Set the characters against that army and watch the five of them destroy it.

Zeikfried said:
My suggestion is to make use of the Inverse Ninja Principle - a lone ninja is clearly a badass, but an army of a thousand ninjas is composed of wusses and is a trivial threat.
So far, we've mostly seen the characters up against relatively potent enemies - Abyssals, a high Essence Alchemical, etc - lone ninjas. But what we haven't really seen is them carve through armies of extras. Sure, there were those bandits or whatever they killed around the start of the Alchemical story arc, but that was just a handful.

My suggestion would be to have them face off against some petty tyrant of supernatural power - a terrestrial god, perhaps, or a corrupt Lunar, or an Infernal - who has an army. Set the characters against that army and watch the five of them destroy it.
My suggestion, Jukashi, is to use your new character.

You've put together a highly unorthodox group of Exalts -- a pacifist Solar, a non-combat Lunar, an incompetent Abyssal, and a "Dragon-Blooded" who resolutely stays out of most conflicts. Of course they get beat up all the time: every single one of them is playing against type.

But Marena's sister doesn't have to. She's a mute girl with a Dawn caste mark stamped on her forehead and a sword longer than she is tall. If she doesn't play against type like the rest of them do, she's your excuse to show what a combat-focused Solar is capable of.

Waitaminute...

Dude, you read KoC?

Fucking awesome! Jukashi, you know you're on the track of something made of shining Oricalcum Win when the guy who wrote the fluff reads your comic and responds.

As for playing against type... It can be, on occasion, hilarious.

Such as my group now. Unfortunately, I'm hemmoraging players (>_< And the one I really liked, too!) due to the dreaded Behemoth known as Real Life, but so far I have a grou pf players, almost none of whom play to type, and some of whom play hilariously against type.

Such as the Eclipse. (One of them.) He's an Immaculate Monk/Gunslinger. (Yes, you read that right.) He spreads his own edited version of the Philosophy, all the while trying to make his way back to the Immaculate Sorceress he felt in love with (and about whom convincing her to renounce her vows and run away to love him prompted his Exaltation as an Eclipse,) and redeem himself and the Celestial Exalted in her eyes. And did I mention the dual-wielding Plasma Tongue Repeaters and ensuing mastery of Righteous Devil Style?

Off-type doesn't have to mean 'not badass'.

That said, this is a problem not limited to writing for the Exalted. It's hard to show their power and provide a dramatic backdrop, since drama implies adversity, and adversity implies something which one cannot simply carve through with one hand while yawning with the other on their way to breakfast. My problem was figuring out how to have various faerie bigbads be a legitimate difficulty - finally I appealed to OOC greed and IC compassion - by defeating the encounters with normal fighting, they 'can' get through, but if they kill the bad guys the 'hard' way, they drop artifacts that the players wouldn't otherwise get off them.

The players were relatively pleased with having acquired the Headless Horseman's Steed, for example. :)

I dunno how to make that apply to a story, though. Perhaps contrive a situation where the characters have to choose between solving a dire situation at the expense of hardship to themselves, or letting something bad go on under their noses without doing anything about it - or at least, being restricted to non-obvious magic.

The easy way to do this, of course, is to have the Wyld Hunt nearby and provide a rioting mob. Sure, they could just carve the mob up, or use an Obvious Social Charm to halt them in their tracks, but it would get the Wyld Hunt onto them. Make it clear that the easy soloution is there, but is a poor choice since it means the Shao-Lin Power Rangers come after them.

And then force them to do it the Easy Way anyway.

Mwahahaha!

that eclipse sounds awesome, tell him he needs to get some golden exhalation style up in there, some of the charms are way more useful than the righteous devil ones. like, for instance, the form charm

I liked the Immaculate's "oh crap" reaction to Karen suddenly Exalting.

-cdi

cdi said:
I liked the Immaculate's "oh crap" reaction to Karen suddenly Exalting.
-cdi
As is the proper reaction of a mere Terrestrial who suddenly finds himself on the wrong end of a pissed-off Dawn Caste, let alone one who's in the process of Exalting.

ShadowDragon8685 said:
Waitaminute...
Dude, you read KoC?

Fucking awesome! Jukashi, you know you're on the track of something made of shining Oricalcum Win when the guy who wrote the fluff reads your comic and responds.
I don't write it anymore, dude. And I've always self-identified as an Internet fan first and foremost.

Stephenls said:
ShadowDragon8685 said:
Waitaminute...
Dude, you read KoC?

I don't write it anymore, dude. And I've always self-identified as an Internet fan first and foremost.
Written like a true messiah. :P

Anyway, today's comic... Is #196, so I'll start a new thread.

You mean other than Luna apearing "normal" in a stick figure comic, Marena's Tell apearing, and the shifting nature of her Caste Mark?

If it has to do with the night's sky, I can't decide if any of your constellations are meant to aproximate anything cannonical.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back