Keep patternspider.net alive

Flagg

The Most Electrifying Man in Sports Entertainment
Hi folks,

I got a new job at an awesome company recently, but the downside to leaving my old job is that my server colocation is no longer free, which it has been for the past 3.5 years. My old boss is offering to let me keep the server there for $40/mo, which is a totally reasonable cost, but more than I'm willing to take on right now. I'd be more willing to chip in to the tune of $20, but I need a way to cover the rest.

One idea I had is to set up a paypal donation account, and if people like the site(s) and want to keep using them, I'd ask for a small donation in return. Rather than try to pull in exactly $20 a month from you guys, I'd use the account more like a fund, which I'd use to pay the bills until it ran low, then I'd get back on here to harass people again for more money.

Does that sound OK to everyone? Are any of you willing to chip in a couple three bucks here and there?

Thanks.

Please click here to donate via paypal. Thanks!

Unless someone else chimes up to offer to host the site for less, then it seems like the only option. I'd throw a few bucks into a Paypal donation.

Sounds good, especially since it would mean keeping the best sounding board for Exalted material I've found alive.

Sounds like a plan, but why do it cost that much? compared to must webhotels here that is a very high price to pay.

I use this hotel, which cost me 1.25€ a month.

Because it's a dedicated server.

The forums could move to a much cheaper shared hosting, sure, but that'd mean the IRC would die.

Flagg said:
wordman said:
What type of load does the whole site place on the box?
By what metrics?
Hand-wavy ones.

Like "at peak times it brings the box to its knees" or "the box never really notices the forum is even running". If the domain were to be moved to, for example, an existing 1&1 root server I already run from some rack in Kansas, how much would it drag down what is already on the box?

I sure could spend a buck or two on this one... dunno if my visa still works though.

One of the few disadvantages of not earning electronic money. :mrgreen:

wordman said:
Hand-wavy ones.
Like "at peak times it brings the box to its knees" or "the box never really notices the forum is even running". If the domain were to be moved to, for example, an existing 1&1 root server I already run from some rack in Kansas, how much would it drag down what is already on the box?
The patternspider.net sites consume the lion's share of bandwidth and disk space on the server by a large margin, but it's nothing that the server can't accommodate. I've contacted a couple of the people whose sites I've been hosting for free, and they're willing to chip in as well, so it should be fairly easy for everyone involved (them, myself, and anyone here who cares to contribute) to cover the costs.

I'll worry about it when I get the bill. I'll update here.

Yeah. I'm getting billed, I've just been too distracted/lazy to actually hit people up for money yet. Soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back