Jade - Stone or Metal?

Moonsilver

Is Jade a stone that is formed into a metal like alloy for weapons and armour, using alchemy and magitech? Or is it a metal in the Exalted world?

Because it's made out of solidified elemental essence, that's why. And that's why Red Jade can always feels warm and Green Jade can bend.

... though the only illustration (in colour) of Jade I remember had the jade being green. Then, that might just be tradition shining through on the part of the artist.

Which variety does the Realm mint coins from? All of them? Has it ever been established?
White Jade.

The illustration Solf is refering to does exist, but is highly inaccurate.

Metals ARE Stones...
All of them.
Not really. Metal ores are stones. Then you take them and process them and then they become metal. Saying metals are stones is like saying ashes are wood.

Solfi said:
... though the only illustration (in colour) of Jade I remember had the jade being green. Then, that might just be tradition shining through on the part of the artist.
As far as I know the onyl type of Jade IRL that exist is green jade, or just jade. If it's magic or not I can't say, my power quest first start next week ;)

skafte said:
Solfi said:
As far as I know the onyl type of Jade IRL that exist is green jade, or just jade. If it's magic or not I can't say, my power quest first start next week ;)
Not really. There are white jade, black jade, blue jade, and red jade. They are simply extremely rare compared to jade, which is rare already as is.

EDIT: Actually, the Internets have informed me, after a summary research into the black depths of Wikipedia, that red jade is artificial. But it's the heat which gives jade a red hue, and I doubt that earth lacks enough heat to emulate something like that. Also there exists naturally occurring yellow jade as well.

Jukashi said:
Metals ARE Stones...
All of them.
Not really. Metal ores are stones. Then you take them and process them and then they become metal. Saying metals are stones is like saying ashes are wood.
I was thinking more of a chemical standpoint, really. (It still is an overstatement but not by much)

Most metals appear naturally as some kind of ore or stone.

I was thinking more of a chemical standpoint' date=' really.[/quote']
From a chemical standpoint, they're even less like stones. Stones are all compounds of various elements; calcium carbonate, for example. Metals are either purified (like copper, magnesium, etc.) or alloyed (put through a process that chemically alters them). A metal ore is, by definition, not a metal. If it were a metal, it would not be an ore.

The only way metals are like stones, in fact, is that you take them out of stones.

Jade, from what I have read, is a stone that is ground up from it's pure stone form and mixed with metals to create the Artifacts.

BTW:  Jukashi, When did you become an Elemental Dragon?

Back on topic  :shock:

I think you should see it as in the real world, where you can just find natural jade, there are veins of natural jade in the exalted world, and they use metals to alloy it with in order to create the jade for magical artefacts.

I'm sure somebody who has done science studies can tell you the exact definition of jade, but seeing it forms "naturally" I'm inclined to think of it as a stone type..

Jade forms differently in Exalted. Black Jade forms in the ocean and at the bottom of deep lakes, green jade is found in the roots of huge trees,, white jade under mountains, Red in volcanoes, and blue... well, I forget where blue forms. It's essentially made from concentrated element.

Blue Jade forms in the glacial wastes of the North and on the peak of the Imperial Mountain.  Places of pure air and extreme cold.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back