Is there any new element that I could use?

sarc said:
In which case, control over one of the most fundamental properties of the universe probably isn't the best idea.
True. But I think control over time can still be limited in a reasonable fashion.

Riuma said:
As elements, ice and water are the exact same thing. Ice is simply water in a different form. But it's still water. If you have water manipulation, you can freeze water and draw water from ice by melting it or something related.
Similarly, as elements, light and darkness are the exact same thing. Darkness is nothing but an absence of light. Light Manipulation would allow control over dark. Think about it. If you manipulated light, you could get rid of all the light in the area. That creates darkness. And you can get rid of the darkness too.

The same applies to pretty much everything else. As elements, opposites of each other are the same element. Life and death are the same element. Light and darkness are the same element. Order and chaos are the same element. The list goes on.
Of course, you could say that each of them is on Earth (Day and night (light and darkness), earth, trees (nature), wildfires (fire), Antarctica (Ice), etc), so the Professor of Earth could include all the elements.

I did think about this when I created the characters, and decided to stay away from complications like that.

[QUOTE="Storm Guardian]Of course, you could say that each of them is on Earth (Day and night (light and darkness), earth, trees (nature), wildfires (fire), Antarctica (Ice), etc), so the Professor of Earth could include all the elements.
I did think about this when I created the characters, and decided to stay away from complications like that.

[/QUOTE]
But that doesn't make any sense. Earth is everything. Earth trumps all elements from Earth itself. You may want to change the Earth element to the earth element.

Earth is our planet and earth is the land surface of the world. So, dirt.

Last edited by a moderator:
Riuma said:
But that doesn't make any sense. Earth is everything. Earth trumps all elements from Earth itself. You may want to change the Earth element to the earth element.
But then again. Manipulating dirt still allows a lot of control. Over plant life, cities, and even bodies of water. But nothing compared to the Earth element.

Riuma said:
Eh? The Professor of Earth doesn't exist. The Professor of earth does, though.

Also, the Earth element allows a ton of control. Someone with mastery over it could change the atmosphere and kill us all.

[QUOTE="Storm Guardian]Eh? The Professor of Earth doesn't exist. The Professor of earth does, though.

[/QUOTE]
I suggest renaming him something like the Professor of Soil.

Can't we just keep this simple and use the intended meanings of the elements? There's no need to make things this massively complicated.

Riuma said:
Also, the Earth element allows a ton of control. Someone with mastery over it could change the atmosphere and kill us all.
Let's drop this. It's giving me a headache.

I meant for each of my "element" factors to be simple, not like a bunch of strange things that connect to each other. Even if it is possible that air and fire are the same because fire comes from air, I am not including that, because that is not a basic thing. It gets way deeper into science and theory than I'd like to.

[QUOTE="Storm Guardian]I had an idea, which I kinda wanted to check in with you guys.
Would Man-made things be a good idea? Like the elements that I said are all natural elements, we can find them all in the natural world at any time when Earth existed. But plastic and GMO products can't be found in the "natural" world, so do you think that would fit as an "element"?

[/QUOTE]
Abstract qualities like "man-made" are really difficult to define unambiguously (although probably not any more than stuff like "void").

Human beings are natural, so is anything we make. It's all the same stuff, just in a different configuration.

Also, there's the question of where to draw the line. If I pick up a pile of sand and put it somewhere else, is that pile of sand now man-made? How about if I carve a face into some marble? It's still the same marble, just in a different shape. If I take a bunch of wood and build a house out of it, at what point during construction does the wood go from being natural to man-made? As soon as I touch it? When I measure it? When I cut it? Maybe when I sand it down, or apply a coat of varnish?

sarc said:
Abstract qualities like "man-made" are really difficult to define unambiguously (although probably not any more than stuff like "void").
Human beings are natural, so is anything we make. It's all the same stuff, just in a different configuration.

Also, there's the question of where to draw the line. If I pick up a pile of sand and put it somewhere else, is that pile of sand now man-made? How about if I carve a face into some marble? It's still the same marble, just in a different shape. If I take a bunch of wood and build a house out of it, at what point during construction does the wood go from being natural to man-made? As soon as I touch it? When I measure it? When I cut it? Maybe when I sand it down, or apply a coat of varnish?
Ah.... I see your point. Well, screw that idea.

LegoLad659 said:
Can't we just keep this simple and use the intended meanings of the elements? There's no need to make things this massively complicated.
No, we can't, since nobody has defined what the various elements are, or what control over them actually entails.

sarc said:
No, we can't, since nobody has defined what the various elements are, or what control over them actually entails.
Even so, it doesn't need to be complicated. We could be here all day if we included elements and their connection to other elements, and their connection to even more elements, etc. Keep it simple, or we'll become so lost in trying to define these things that nothing will make sense at all.

LegoLad659 said:
Even so, it doesn't need to be complicated. We could be here all day if we included elements and their connection to other elements, and their connection to even more elements, etc. Keep it simple, or we'll become so lost in trying to define these things that nothing will make sense at all.
What is the simple interpretation of abstract elements, including those that only exist in fiction?

sarc said:
Now see, that's just unreasonable.

Fine, we can't keep this simple.

"Mom! Hey, mom! Can you get the calculations sheet for masses of light and darkness to prove that they're the same or different! Get the calculations on how fast time flies in a black hole! What? You don't have it? Alright, ask Einstein. What? Still can't? Oh shiitake mushrooms!"

That's because my characters are meant for a fantasy roleplay. So: Drop it.

[QUOTE="Storm Guardian]That's because my characters are meant for a fantasy roleplay. So: Drop it.

[/QUOTE]
Exactly this. It's not grounded in reality, so it doesn't have to conform to the laws of reality exactly as we know them ( :P )

[QUOTE="Storm Guardian]"Mom! Hey, mom! Can you get the calculations sheet for masses of light and darkness to prove that they're the same or different! Get the calculations on how fast time flies in a black hole! What? You don't have it? Alright, ask Einstein. What? Still can't? Oh shiitake mushrooms!"

[/QUOTE]
....(>A>)

Are you serious

Riuma said:
....(>A>)
Are you serious
Yes, I am serious! I don't need an irl scientist. I am a fantasy roleplayer! Do you see....

Uh... I need to update my preferences. One moment.

Do you see Sci-fi or Modern in my roleplay preferences? No. I am not interested in those types of roleplays!

So,
giphy.gif

We on the same page? (Uh... two meanings. First meaning is what you're thinking. Second is, did you reload the page to see my preference changes?)

[QUOTE="Storm Guardian]Yes, I am serious! I don't need an irl scientist. I am a fantasy roleplayer! Do you see....

Do you see Sci-fi or Modern in my roleplay preferences? No. I am not interested in those types of roleplays!

So,
giphy.gif

We on the same page? (Uh... two meanings. First meaning is what you're thinking. Second is, did you reload the page to see my preference changes?)

[/QUOTE]
Books, the internet.

Those are just two things.

[QUOTE="Storm Guardian]Yes, I am serious! I don't need an irl scientist. I am a fantasy roleplayer! Do you see....

So,
giphy.gif

[/QUOTE]
Um... Excuse my French, but...

The [EFF!] is that thing?! O.o

[QUOTE="Storm Guardian]Seems like we aren't on the same page.

[/QUOTE]
You are in a different book entirely. One that was made from water and not trees.

Riuma said:
You are in a different book entirely. One that was made from water and not trees.
Then let the pages be made of water. I personally would prefer it that way, if it means that we get to conserve the trees.

That is figuratively speaking. In real language, I mean to say "Alright, then let it be that way. I'd not prefer it any other way"

So please. For the third and final time, drop this thing. I mean this for fandom and fantasy roleplay stuff, not any complicated things. If your unhappy, go check out a different place to ask for advice! I'm personally done with this. I came for advice on something to make, and you're telling me to destroy the basis of what my characters are made from. So, in conclusion, stop.

[QUOTE="Storm Guardian]Now see, that's just unreasonable.
Fine, we can't keep this simple.

"Mom! Hey, mom! Can you get the calculations sheet for masses of light and darkness to prove that they're the same or different! Get the calculations on how fast time flies in a black hole! What? You don't have it? Alright, ask Einstein. What? Still can't? Oh shiitake mushrooms!"

That's because my characters are meant for a fantasy roleplay. So: Drop it.

[/QUOTE]
LegoLad659 said:
Exactly this. It's not grounded in reality, so it doesn't have to conform to the laws of reality exactly as we know them ( :P )

[/QUOTE]
If you don't define what "control" means, or what "void" (for example) actually is, and then write "has control over void" on your character sheet, no one you're playing with will actually know what your character is capable of.

Which, I would assume, is at least part of the point of having a character sheet in the first place, rather than just making stuff up as you go along.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back