[Invasion] UNAC Embassy, Reykjavik

TomSefton

Writer
The Union of North Atlantic Countries' Embassy in Reykjavik is the first port of call for any diplomat wanting to get through to the UNAC Assembly or the national government of any of the Union's member states. Iceland, far from any alien-occupied zones and protected by a large detachment of MilCom, is one of the world's safer areas, post-invasion.

Diplomats can stay and meet in comfort in what was once the UNAC Assembly building and the upper house of the Icelandic parliament, now a specifically purposed office of the UNAC Foreign Commission.

Through it, diplomats can contact:

The UNAC Assembely

MilCom

People's Council of Great Britain

People's Council of the Republic of Ireland

The Icelandic People's Althing

The government of Greenland

A Federation diplomatic envoy has requested to be seen by the British government.

The Federation's request has been received and confirmed. The envoys will be met by a representative of the People's Council of Great Britain (PCGB) and of the UNAC Assembly.

Please use the prearranged approach into Reykjavik, and landing pad will be assigned by air traffic control on your arrival.

Regards,

The Office of the Ambassador

The two Union officials were out by landing pad C, the largest and closest to the embassy complex. Above them, a red flag, and the old flag of Iceland were being pummeled by the icy North wind. Eric Blair, the PCGB's Councillor for Foreign Affairs pulled his coat a little tighter around him, plunging his hands into his pockets with a bitter moan. He had only been in Reykjavic for a week or so, and was still adapting to the cold.

The other person, a woman, looked over at him. She was Bjork Jonnson, a native, and the Vice-Chairwoman of UNAC's ruling body. She smiled at him, flashing her teeth.

'Don't worry, you'll get used to it.'

'Yeah, yeah' muttered Eric, checking his watch. 'They should be here any moment now'. A particularly strong gust of wind hit him as he spoke, drowning out his words. He shrugged, and paused for a moment. Above the noise of the storm, he could make out the sound of aircraft engines. 'Well, here we go...' he took his hands out of his jacket, and the two envoys looked up into the sky, attempting to make out the Federation flyer. The guards posted near the landing pad came to attention, more for show than anything else.

'All set?'

'Of course,' came the womans reply. She smiled again.

An Inuit Federation citizen approached, properly dressed for the weather at hand. Rehnquist Waverly had grown up on the ice, he was more than able to deal with this kind of weather. He found his new military outfit (and position) rather unbefitting for his role and experience, but it was within his skillset, and he had volunteered to become an Officer. As such, he was glad that he was assigned as a military diplomat and liaison.

"Thank you for having me," he said once he was out of the whipping cold, "The Federation thanks you for seeing me on such short notice."

Once they were in a more welcoming environment inside, Rehnquist shed his jacket, and they could see that he held the rank of Captain on his uniform. The Federation and, indeed, everyone in the world were sorely short of officers, and the Federation needed Officers that understood the meaning and worth of sacrifice of oneself for one's society. Rehnquist was one of these such people.

"I don't know what the situation here the UNAC is like. But the Federation...We lost a lot of land and people. A lot of infrastructure. We also believe that the alien enemy has been planning this whole thing. And President Calvert has a plan for a multinational military organization, one that draws upon resources it collects, recruits it gathers, and is directed by the participating nations.

"To start it, however, it needs infrastructure, infrastructure we can't give it right now. It needs to collect its own resources and connections. So the President wants to begin with that. A resistance terrorist organization that fights human cooperation and the aliens themselves, designed to function independently of each other, and designed to grow."

Not a problem, Captain, it's a pleasure to have you,' said Eric as they made their way inside, removing his long coat with a sigh of relief, leaving it at reception. He straightened his tie, and led the group though to one of the old council chambers. It was a small, comfortable room, with a oak conference table running its length, lined with leather backed chairs and a few jugs of iced water were placed along the centre. There were a few flags were draped on the wall opposite the door, those of the UNAC countries. The rest were a little out of date.

'It's always good to know there are still people out there. That they don't want to shoot us straight away is a bonus, too,' He smiled at the Citizen, offering the man a seat and taking one opposite him. The old leather creaked as he sat. He took a couple of beakers, filling them with water, offering one to Waverly. 'I could say the same for the Federation, but it sounds bad,' said Björk, 'we were half-lucky, you might to say. The aliens only really hit London...but, then again, back then everything was in London - the British government, the UNAC Assembly and our military headquarters. Nothing survived.'

'Or,' said Eric, looking down at the desk briefly, 'what did survive is now occupied. The rest of UNAC was lucky though, we made it through without too much major damage to most of our road and rail networks. The only problem is with our military. It was unfortunate that the aliens attacked when they did: there was a meeting of the MilCom leaders. Only a few comrades made it. On top of the men we lost defending the capital, the loss of leadership crippled our armed forces. I mean, a new People’s Council and UNAC Assembly were voted in nearly immediately, but it’s different. We're attempting to knock the chain of command up a few notches - but it's just not the same. We need time…They need experience.' He shook his head for a moment, looking up at the envoy, ‘Apologies, I’m sure you’re dealing with the same sorts of problems, Captain.’ The People’s Councillor took a drink, and sat silent for a moment. The woman looked over at him for a moment before opening a file she had in front of her and wrote a quick note.

‘As for your proposal,’ she said, closing the folder, ‘that will definitely be considered. It will have to go through the Assembly, of course, but any and all ideas or policies to strike back against the aliens are generally well received. There are few people these days who haven’t lost someone…who hasn’t been affected – popular support will not, and indeed, is not a problem.’ Eric nodded as the Vice-Chairwoman continued, ‘The need to fight the invaders is not something we ever need to be reminded of…they’re on our doorstep, after all. The creation of an independent resistance movement would be an ideal way to start a proper retaliation while we build up our conventional armed forces. You can count us in.’

"We understand what it's like to have aliens on your doorstep. I live in San Jose. I live every day just a couple of miles from the maritime border with the Occupied Zone of Los Angeles. My home state of Alaska, well, we're in the process of dealing with Alaska. My family, if they're still alive, are still there. I was lucky to be in Mexico at a conference with South American Federationists. Just a quick drive across the border to Phoenix, and I was in the Retreat Zone.

"This organization that the President has in mind will need establishment all over the world. We'll handle North America, if you handle Europe. We're int he process of talking to JADE about their involvement."

'Yes,' said Eric, 'no one escaped, did they?'

'

We'd be more than happy to handle Europe. What we can get at, anyway. We're in the process of trying to get a few teams onto the mainland to see what's what...we've really no idea what we're going to be dealing with on the continent, just rough ideas of where the aliens hit. We're definitely not the only Europeans to have made it, though, there's plenty of radio activity up in Scandinavia. Have you heard anything from around those parts?'

"My family? My wife and daughter got out. My wife didn't make it. President Calvert has been generous in making sure my daughter's safe.

"The North Baltic Coalition survived, actually. they're offering assistance in our campaign in Alaska. I doubt they'll get there in time to do anything. So it's safe to say that UNAC would be willing to assist in creating this army, and the organization that will found and fund it? The President is excited to begin."

'I'm sorry to hear that,' said Björk,and Eric shok his head.

'Yes, you can count on the Union to play it's part, that's for sure. After this meeting after we inform, our leader, Chairman Dove will be informed, who can produce an offical document outlining our intent. Speaking of which, Comrade Dove has given us our own agenda, which goes beyond plans for dealing with the threat of the invaders.' He smiled briefly, knotting his hands together and placing them under his chin as he spoke.

'It is his, and there UNAC's, intention to prioritise the opening of diplomatic channels with other survivor-states - if not talks of alliances,' he gestured with an open palm, 'then talks of neutrality. Before the invasion, Earth was on the brink of creating a true global government. We believe it will be nigh on impossible to counter the alien threat without something that at least approaches that sense of unity.'

The Vice-Chairwoman nodded, 'Yes, we're out to attain some evidence of trust...that we'll both be attacking the invaders, and not each other, if you will. Dove believes that from there better global relations can be rebuilt.'

"It's been rough, but we've been dealing.

"The Federation has never been sold on the idea of a world government. That's always been true, really. You can attest that to the independent mind of Americans. Global cooperation and function is something we can get behind. Our sovereignty? Never. That's one of the main points of this plan: We are not giving up our sovereignty to this organization. We're not even giving up our military for it. Its purpose is to react to alien incursion and conduct anti-alien operations. The nations will liberate, while this army will protect."

'Oh, no, Captain. Don't think what our leader has in mind is anything even close to a surrender of the Federation's sovereignty. That's perhaps an extreme of international co-operation. As far as UNAC was behind world government before the invasion, that was then...it would be completely impracticable now, and perhaps not even beneficial. No, what we're looking for is ways to strengthen the global resistance as it grows, and to reestablish international relations that were considered the norm less than a year ago... agreeing trade links and security arrangements, that sort of thing.'

"Which reminds me. The President was hoping for trade deals with UNAC.

"Also, the Federation wants to affirm its old borders as still being ours. No successor state or foreign power has legitimate hold in Federation territory. If any of them bother UNAC, don't hesitate to retaliate, but please let us handle that sort of thing.

Eric smiled, taking another sip from his water, 'That's exactly what we had in mind. We're fine for now, but without trade, the long term effects on our economy could be severe. And yes, don't worry about that, as far as UNAC policy stands for the time being, we are only recognising the pre-war world order until full communications have been established. Also, we will not engage in any hostilities with any human group or unless the people of UNAC are threatened by their actions. If any power from within Federal territory does prove a problem, we would be willing to defer the situation to the Citizen's Federation.'

"Very well then. I'll have favorable reports to make to the President. Was there anything else you wanted?"

Eric nodded, 'I'm glad to hear it, Captain.' The diplomat reached inside his folder, bringing out a heavy, brown envelope, sliding it across the conference table, 'This is the letter from Comrade Dove...just a formality really, an official 'hello' from Britain and UNAC. I'm sure a more recent version will follow in light of our meeting.'

He scratched his chin, smiling, 'No, nothing just yet.'

"I'll have it delivered. The President was hoping to have an embassy exchange, as well, for faster communications and heightened relations."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back