Infernal spoilers.

Ha, Infernals remember their previous lives to a T. They remember the Sidereals and their existence. Oh my. Apparently, the Siddies have zero idea there are fifty Infernals right now. However, the God of World Shattering Events has steadily been growing in power for the past five years. Eep.

Oh wow. I was thinking this is incredibly soon, then I realized April is next month. I would think that was really close to their last hardback, but GWM was pushed back five years.

I was thinking about pasting the specific spoilers to this thread, so people don't have to dig through people bitching about Sorcery,etc over at rpg.net? You all cool with that?

I am. There are also a couple on the official WW board that I didn't see on the RPG.net thread. Specifically how their Excellencies work.

Gah. Fricken meta plot crap. I do see why on some of the rpgnet thread there are bitter flamewars between the 1e purists who only like the Exalted line before the OutCaste book appeared.

If you've been reading the material since 1e, there is definately a metaplot. Not as bad as oWoD... But it's there. WW just can't help themselves it seems.
There is, "information on the setting and timeline up to where to corebook introduces the reader to it." Future supplements add more information to that. Exalted's storyline hasn't moved foreward. There's no metaplot.

If the return of the Empress is released as a boxed set or fatsplat, it would be an advancement in metaplot, no?

Then again, WW could use the Locust Crusade model and offer different takes on the Return...with no set canon advancement, there is no metaplot.

There -is- metaplot to Exalted, if you see the revelation of Arianna and the Lover's connection, the possibility of the Locust Crusade and the existence of the Infernals as such. Surely, the fact that such exist does not change anything in the game's setting, but it does move forward a player's perception of the game setting.

There -is- metaplot to Exalted, if you see the revelation of Arianna and the Lover's connection, the possibility of the Locust Crusade and the existence of the Infernals as such. Surely, the fact that such exist does not change anything in the game's setting, but it does move forward a player's perception of the game setting.
By the definition of metaplot, none of that is a metaplot.

MrMephistopheles said:
If you've been reading the material since 1e, there is definately a metaplot. Not as bad as oWoD... But it's there. WW just can't help themselves it seems.
There is, "information on the setting and timeline up to where to corebook introduces the reader to it." Future supplements add more information to that. Exalted's storyline hasn't moved foreward. There's no metaplot.
Future supplements always seem to be implying new and interesting things happening to the signature characters... Implying a movement of time, hence, as far as I'm concerned a metaplot. I.e GoD II, implies the wedding of the Ebon Dragon to the Empress. News to me, makes me feel like the plot is moving forward. Maybe they haven't changed the official "date" that the default games are supposed to start in... But that seems to be superfluous.

Future supplements always seem to be implying new and interesting things happening to the signature characters... Implying a movement of time, hence, as far as I'm concerned a metaplot.
Everything canonical(not the comics) so far detailed in sourcebooks is up to start date for the game. So it's not metaplot.

Code:
I.e GoD II, implies the wedding of the Ebon Dragon to the Empress. News to me, makes me feel like the plot is moving forward. Maybe they haven't changed the official "date" that the default games are supposed to start in... But that seems to be superfluous.

Avoiding definitions to suite an argument sounds superfluous to me. By definition, there is no Exalted metaplot. Never was. And still isn't.

And trying to call it metaplot by that simply does not work. By that criteria no sourcebooks can come out if there is no metaplot.

MrMephistopheles said:
If you've been reading the material since 1e' date=' there is definately a metaplot. Not as bad as oWoD... But it's there. WW just can't help themselves it seems.[/quote']
Future supplements always seem to be implying new and interesting things happening to the signature characters... Implying a movement of time, hence, as far as I'm concerned a metaplot. I.e GoD II, implies the wedding of the Ebon Dragon to the Empress. News to me, makes me feel like the plot is moving forward. Maybe they haven't changed the official "date" that the default games are supposed to start in... But that seems to be superfluous.
That was in the First Dragon-Blooded book, man. Not news to anyone.

Oh, boo hoo. All Solars aren't sorcerers anyhow by a long stretch. Someone at rpg.net explained it nicely that way. They're not all sorcerers as all Lunars are shapechangers or Sidereals being all astrologers. Besides, I'm well in the camp of the Primoridals gave Solars sorcery. And that's pretty much true if you read the tale of Brigid. Seriously. So who cares that the Primordials infantry have it too? Boohoo. That's like crying that your Sidereals don't get SMA all to themselves when every ST and their mom throws it Solar PCs.

MrMephistopheles said:
By the definition of metaplot, none of that is a metaplot.
The story is moving forward in the player's perception, which I count to be more important than what the creators actually intended. From the setting's point of view, all the plot threads co-exist simultaneously without really moving on forward since the setting has been released to the players. However, to the players, previously hidden details (such as the fact that the Silver Prince is actually a Deathlord or that the Green Lady is playing with multiple Deathlords) imply they are unresolved and therefore possible to develop in different manners. As such, the resolution/revelations are future events, something that has yet to happen in terms of narrative. By concluding such possibility by revealing that setting bit later on than it was first presented, the players get the feeling that the setting is alive, changing and growing. While it's not metaplot per se, it is received as metaplot advancement.

Really, before they (not really but sorta kinda blatantly) revealed that the FA incarnations of the Solar sigs became major Deathlords in the Dreams of the First Age, I doubt anyone really expected any plot future between the sigs and the Deathlords to be more plausible than any other. Maybe the developers intended this to happen from the very start of the setting--but the manner it was presented gives the players the idea that story elements are being developed and resolved.

The story is moving forward in the player's perception, which I count to be more important than what the creators actually intended.
I would perhaps agree, or at least sympathize some except that the vast majority of such discussions are simply from people not knowing about any given piece of information we've received about the game setting's present and backstory.

If someone wants to complain and THINK it's moved forward, ok. But it hasn't.

From the setting's point of view, all the plot threads co-exist simultaneously without really moving on forward since the setting has been released to the players. However, to the players, previously hidden details (such as the fact that the Silver Prince is actually a Deathlord or that the Green Lady is playing with multiple Deathlords) imply they are unresolved and therefore possible to develop in different manners. As such, the resolution/revelations are future events, something that has yet to happen in terms of narrative. By concluding such possibility by revealing that setting bit later on than it was first presented, the players get the feeling that the setting is alive, changing and growing. While it's not metaplot per se, it is received as metaplot advancement.
And they'd be wrong. But I wonder exactly what I can objectively take from all that. If certain details of previously little known elements are expounded upon in a way that some people are dissatisfied with(and some very happy with and everything in between), what should I care? It boils down to, supplements give new information previously unknown about the setting.

It's inevitable. And companies like to stay in business. I can understand not liking everything, and that's the fun of an RPG. You can twist and shape it until it's yours, but familiar enough you can talk to other people about the setting. That doesn't make it metaplot.

Really, before they (not really but sorta kinda blatantly) revealed that the FA incarnations of the Solar sigs became major Deathlords in the Dreams of the First Age, I doubt anyone really expected any plot future between the sigs and the Deathlords to be more plausible than any other. Maybe the developers intended this to happen from the very start of the setting--but the manner it was presented gives the players the idea that story elements are being developed and resolved.
Currently ONE Deathlord's previous Solar identity is known, with one other strongly implied because of his connection to that Deathlord. Hooks have been written strongly at least into one other, but the write ups were also intentionally left vague enough that an ST can go in whatever direction they want just fine. And if details about present players in the setting are revealed. That isn't metaplot. That's knowing more than you previously did about the present.

So...wonderfully horribly tangent. Hopefully we'll get some juicy new spoilers to concentrate on.

Back to the spoileriffic original topic...

I notice a lack of mention of Kimberry. Do we learn much about her or her Infernals in this book? We know she has at least one...

--Kkat

Kkat said:
Back to the spoileriffic original topic...
I notice a lack of mention of Kimberry. Do we learn much about her or her Infernals in this book? We know she has at least one...

--Kkat
From what I have heared there is a sidebar explaining that more info on Kimberrys charms will appear in a later published book, must likely CoCD 5: Malfean.

Of course.
KkatDozey.gif

--Kkat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back