[In the Service of the Senate] [IC] Act 1.1 : An invitation to misbehave...

"Oh?" A perfectly stylized eyebrow rose at Advocate of Truth and Justice. "And why would you say that?"

Castellan Artagnan

Artagnan watched the scene slowly devolve. Even the briefing would not be peaceful, especially with this many Fae in this Coterie.

Then he realized that so far, this was only a "Coterie" because he was here.

Closing his eyes, and taking a deep breath, he decided that it was time to act for the sake of the mission that hadn't even started yet.

Opening his eyes again, not looking at anyone in particular, keeping his voice clear, and even keel, and wearing that immovable, unreadable mask of his.

"I am certain that each one of the esteemed members of this Coterie will have their own ideas as to how to best handle That Which Must Never Be." he says, "However, we are certain to fail if we are unable to coexist peacefully and respect each others' differences of opinion. This mission is more important than myself, and any one of us. We must cooperate, for the sake of our mission, or That Which Must Never Be will instead become That Which Has Come To Pass."

After letting the words sink in for a moment, he turns to the Chancellor.

Coolly, he decides to ask what is on his mind. Politely, he addresses the Chancellor with all of the respect and deference one must show to the rightfully elected Leader of the Senate of the Realm:

"Lord Chancellor. Do we have any conjecture or other information at all regarding this...Rift...Which Must Never Be? Anything at all given previous experience that may aid our task? And how would we go about sealing, or locking this rift?"

Taking a deep breath, he then closes his eyes and also states the question that has been uneasily setting upon his mind.

"I have also noticed that this Coterie is, so far, only one such because of myself. I beg for your pardon, but I must ask this: Why was I selected to be the only Child of the Dragons in this Coterie? I had expected...more, of my brethren in blood to be in attendence."

His features remained placid as he asked this, conveying nothing save the slightest hints of simple, honest curiosity. Inwardly, to say he was feeling a bit out of place amongst all of these Raksha would be an understatement.

Ultimately, it shouldn't matter....Should it? he thought.

"Ah yes, thank you for reminding me, Castellan... The That Which Must Never Be is located in the untamed woods east of the Summer Mountains," The chancellor gestured to the side where a rather large map of the territories of Harborhead appeared in a flash of light and floated as if drawn upon a pane of glass.

"We have narrowed it down to a region of a hundred or so miles right... here." Another gesture, and a red circle formed over a region of the jungles. Said region was easily five hundred miles from the summer mountains. It was also disturbing near certain territories scratched out by moon anathema, and certain raksha households not affiliated with the Realm.

"As for sealing and warding the That Which Must Not Be, since our seers and astrologers have determined from the stars that it is a gate," Here he smiled. Cold as a serpent and just as vicious. "We had an ancient treasure retrieved from the senate's Vault. All that needs to be done is to... plant it at the entrance of the gate, feed it gossamer and motes... and it'll do the rest by calling upon the shinma Nirupadhika."

That was when he gestured at behind them.

Turning to look back revealed a staff which looked more like lantern mounted upon a pitted iron staff, but which wasn't given the way it glistened with all the colors of the rainbow as if coated with a dark oil.

Close observation of the lantern, its name was clear and obvious; the "Lantern of Ever Lighted Lamp", despite it being an artifact said to be lost to time and space. There is also a moment of confusion as if the staff was surrounded by countless environments; from forests, to snowy plains and mountains, to endless deserts of burning sand, to cities where people walked around the lantern without seeing or perceiving it. An endlessly changing environment that writhed/occurred within the span of a heartbeat.

OOC

- For raksha, who may have done this before, there IS a reason why you can't remember using the artifact... despite likely having used it before for a similar mission with regards closing That Which Must Never Be.

"Violence is like the Wyld. Unpredictable, dangerous, deadly and in the end completely useless without form." he said calmly, "Just as form is predictable, stable and equally deadly, but just like violence in the end completely useless without the Wyld."

He paused for a moment. "Plotting, planing and preparation are only worth something when you have have the ability to enact change. And what more brutal change there is than violence. Rage, impulsiveness and bloodshed are only worth something when you have the ability to enact stability afterward. So both were right and both were wrong."

A beating heart which slows down inexorably until there is nothing but the slowing pulse and then resplendent silence which is as short as it is intense and wonderful. From this the rising tension unlike anything else ever recorded, spreading across the walls and crawling across the floor and creeping along the ceiling invisible yet physical to such an extent that it would push even the mightiest god to their knees were it only for the whim of the great presence to turn all its attention on one single target.

Impossible and inevitable, numb limbs decaying into putrid black ooze which swirl in toxic fumes and slip quietly into the still form. The stolen breath that could never be retrieved, sealed away as it is in another world where baleful horrors wax poetic on cruel existence, this shaped form assaulted by unimaginable dread.

And yet it all came to a sudden stop before anything could be made of it with but simple words. Magdalene did not stop because she had to, but instead because of the realisation that although she could certainly remind this small fool of his place, there was no way that she would obtain the support of everyone else in this coterie that was pushed on her so callously. Definitely a burden, there could be no other justification.

She would endure it, for now, if only because she could simply not allow herself to waste any more time on petty bickering with the obtuse "You." she stares at the High Lord with cold inhuman disdain "You speak the blasphemy of eternal form as if it were nothing more than a blessing, you forget yourself and sell your own spirit for the triffle of banality. The Wyld's form is shifting sand, to have it any other way is simply unreasonable. I do not allow myself to be blinded by aesthetic concerns and debates best left to those who's youth speak volumes of their ignorance. You would do well to do the same, lest any here present question my dedication once more and force my hands." she lightly hold up a strand of perfect hair from her doll "That I cannot allow." she appears sincere if far less involved in the debate now.

In time she turns her gaze toward the Chancellor "I will give this plan three days. You must understand that any more than that, should the Sultana prove impossible to treat with, would threaten so much more than we can allow. Is that acceptable?" she compromises, if only because time is of the essence and wasteful words bored her tremendously.

She lightly holds one hand forward, strings of gossamer forming from thin air as if they had always been there, yet still imperceptible if clearly felt, they were all around every single creature and object present in the room after all. With but the slightest twitch of one finger, the staff lunges into her waiting hand as she observes it silently, barely listening to the Chancellor's words in response to her own proposition.

This felt oddly familiar, but clearly she'd never used any such object, how befuddling. Still she left it to stand above the ground with no visible support, to float simply because she deigned it to be so.

"Let this go to one who will be able to use it properly." she states bluntly and with no real design upon the object, her dim curiosity now satiated.

"Youth!" the High Lord bellowed, his voice rumbling so hard that the ground shook with awe as he watched the fop with amused anger. "You dare speak of youth to one who has watched this Creation for an eternity ? You dare speak of youth, where you show all the rashness of a Creation born barely free from the teat of it's mother ?"

His outburst was awe-inspiring to behold, yet at the same time it was merely an amusing part he was playing.

OOC: A new fantasy.

The law is terrible to behold in all it's glory.

Causes the ground to tremble with every word he speaks with force.

Socialize + Charisma: 15d10 → [7,4,4,5,10,7,5,10,2,2,5,6,3,3,9] = 7 successes

Somewhere in the midst of the shouting and rumbling, The Cyan Nassak has gotten up from his seat and has managed to get his hands on the Lantern, which he is casually twirling in one hand like a baton, the glass he had been holding is now hovering where the Ringmaster had left the artifact.

"I don't suppose you could tack on an extra day or two, perhaps? Just that three days of business, whether sneaking or killing, leaves very little time in the way of picking up souveneirs. Well, at least souveneirs that aren't likely to have cracked or shattered or melted or whatnot in the latter case." He pauses for a moment, and reverses the spin of the staff. "I suppose the sneaking would allow it better, but it seems rather uncouth to pick up presents while plotting and such."

Shrugging, he moves onward. "Isn't that the way things are supposed to go, anyway? You go in politely, wander about for a bit, and then for no apparent reason tribal assassins weilding bamboo spears... or whatever native plantlife can be adequitely shaped into weaponry..." The Eshu turned to the Chancelor. "Is that mentioned in the dossier? I would hardly want to be expecting bamboo weaponry when it ends up being something like oak or hickory...

"But in any case we'd just end up rushed anyway, so isn't it better to add more time to be rushed in? Leaving ourselves too little time to be rushed in would just be incautious, and oh dear... Everyone duck!"

That last comment was made as the quickly spinning Lantern slipped out of his hand and cartwheeled through the empty air.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Was asked to make a Wits+Occult roll... 4 suxx

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2582045/

The chancellor seems to have displayed a keen sense of self survival and, likely, more experience with The Cyan Nassak than one would desire as he ducked at the 'duck' from the Eshu.

Thankfully, the staff didn't fly very far.

It also didn't seem to enjoy being thrown or dropped like was done here. Which likely accounted for the way it slipped into a gap in midair. A gap of utter darkness, and populated by staring eyes, that vanished within moments.

Thankfully, the staff seemed to have returned to where it was originally standing as if it had never been touched.

Castellan Artagnan

He didn't answer my last question... he thinks, just before Magdalene and High Lord Advocate start going at it again.

He takes another deep breath and closes his eyes for a moment. So much for his words being heeded.

Then the Lantern flies off wildly.

Feeling the staff whoosh right past him, his eye begins to twitch noticeably. When it reappears where it was originally standing, Artagnan rises from his chair sharply, robes flowing around his body, hair flowing in the wind as he makes a beeline for the staff.

When he reaches it, he snatches it with one arm and holds it next to his body.

Raksha. It seems as though they always either take nothing seriously, or they are total overbearing sticks in the mud...

"I will hang onto this." Artagnan says to The Cyan Nassak and Magdalene with a cold glare. This particular piece of equipment was too important to be left in the hands of those who would treat it as just another trinket.

Turning to the bickering Raksha, he states the following in a voice not unlike his usual tone, but with a hint of ice in it...:

"I am disappointed in you. The Honorable and Mighty High Lord Advocate of Truth and Justice behaving like a common thug who has been slighted. The Elegant and Noble Lady Magdalene Farandole, throwing a tantrum not unlike that of a schoolchild who has been refused a cookie. The Honorable Senator Silvanus Zeitgeist's tactless and polarizing argument against the warpath. The Fortunate Cyan Nassak more concerned with shopping for souvenirs than ensuring That Which Must Never Be remains That Which Has Not Come To Pass. The Beautiful and Talented Xytrisae has a point. We must act, and quickly so, but we must conversely ensure that we are not simply rushing in with not plan nor strategy."

"Our deliberations must be productive. We do not have any further time to waste on this pointless infighting. We are a Coterie of the Realm. We are strong. We represent the best that the Realm has to offer. We must not, can not, and therefore -will not- fail."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another Shaping Effect:

All discourse in my presence shall be civil, orderly, and respectful. No voices shall be raised in anger, nor shall any discourse that is meant only to harm another's ego come to pass.

Rolling 2 Charisma+2 Socialize +3 Stunt die. Expending 1 Willpower to channel 5 Temperance.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2582433/

9 Successes.

Silvanus watches the next events play out and frowns some for all the things going on. He admittedly was annoyed with Magdalene but that wasn't going to change as she was unlikely to change. He looked a little annoyed at the High Lord Advocate but then his eyes widened in panic at the staff going airborne. He breathes a sigh of relief as the staff is back where is should be. He then watched the dragon-blooded go to it and take it.

He listened quietly to what had to be said and liking this Castellan Artagnan all the more. He generally liked the denizens of Creation more than his own kind a great deal of the time anyways, but his initiative was appreciated. This would hopefully draw things to a more productive conclusion.

"Well spoken, I must admit I am not helping things. It would seem that the only one here with a clear view of things is this noble dragon-blooded. We have a task, we must work towards it," Silvanus voiced his support of Artagnan's point. He ever preferred to let someone else take the lead, but if they were worth giving support to he would give it. This was such a case in his opinion. The Realm was threatened and they had to succeed.

"Oh, but you are quite mistaken, Sir Castellan," The Cyan Nassak corrects as he retrieves his glass from the air. "I am quite interested in the matter of the 'That Which Must Never Be.' Indeed, I am certainly of a mind on that very subject, and it coincides with my interests." He strides over to the Dragon-blooded and taps on the Lantern with the his drink, producing a chiming noise.

"All I was saying is that, while our main mission is something of a time sensitive matter, we need to be... fluid..." He flings the remaining liquor into the air, where it glistens like a fire snake and streams back into the container. "We need to assess the 'That Which Must Never Be' in a timely fashion, and as chances might result a permanent one." He nods towards the Ringmaster. "Concerning what this may be, a certain... heavy hand would likely be needed, and all the fun that entails.

"That said, however... It should be noted that if we approach with too... hrm... too much of an visible inclination to use said heavy hand would perchance speed up any who would wish to curtail our investigation, if not their own usage of the thing." At this he raised his glass to Silvanus and the High Lord. "A suitable midpoint between each is what I asked."

He drained the remains of his drink. "Though I do need something for the foyer in my personal Freehold," he says as he smiles and walks away back to his seat.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

And was requested to make another Wits+Occult... no idea what these are for, but I somehow managed 8 suxx on 8 dice.

http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/2582475/

"Well said," The lord chancellor Serpentine nodded at both Artagnan and The Cyan Nassak. "But I must ask that you stop playing with the Lantern of Ever Lighted Lamp. If you do manage to break that, the results would be... unpleasant. Most unpleasant for all concerned. Including you."

Castellan Artagnan

"Perhaps then, you could explain what this is and how it works?" Castellan Artagnan says to the Chancellor.

"That my dear lad is the Lantern of Ever Lighted Lamp," The tone of voice indicated that it's perfectly clear what he meant, that its purpose should be obvious, really. Even without need of explaining. Still, far be it from him to not enlighten the child of the dragons. "The light within is that of Nirupadhika itself."

The basic theories of the shinma were known to those who bore 'genteel' education of the Realm. As such, all knew that the shinma Nirupadhika defined space and location. It exists in no place and all places. Its mad eyes regard all things in the Wyld and beyond with disorienting simultaneity. It would speak, but it has no voice. It would act, but it has no space in which to act. Compressed to nothingness and stretched in all directions, it wails the agony of its existence, and that agony is travel.

Meanwhile in another dime.... *coughs* locale, a certain raksha noble is enjoying herself.

Sipping at vaguely alcoholic and rather colorful drinks, and lying upon a towel on a beach where the sand was as find as powder and just as white, Ciara Nami certainly was living the life of a carefree noble as she gestured for one of the number of pretty cabana boys to oil her up under the noonday sun.

Contentious Sword's impenetrable aura of nobility vanished, the usual omnipresent breeze through his hair quited, and his eyes widened. Their charge went from important and prestigious to integral and legendary. Deep inside he smiled at the power entrusted to him and his colleagues.

"Does anyone have any further questions or concerns?" The look on the chancellor's face indicated that he was bored and thought that the coterie had sufficient information.

Castellan Artagnan

Castellan Artagnan couldn't help but feel that, for just a second or so, something or someone else rendered events here completely trivial...

Shaking it off, Artagnan refocuses himself upon the task at hand.

The Lamp's purpose was clear. Their mission, detailed. Known obstacles, declared.

This mission would either be simple, or difficult. Regardless of which, the only acceptable outcome is victory.

So that would be the outcome. No matter the cost.

Turning towards the Chancellor, robes and hair flowing around him in a picture-perfect bishounen moment, Artagnan steels his gaze before the Chancellor, and asks the final question.

"When do we begin?"

"Why, I thought it was obvious," the chancellor gestured with his hands, as if to encompass the world with the slightest of motions. "Here and now."

The wide smile could be deemed to be... shark-like or perhaps serpent-like was more accurate. It seemed quite predatory. "So, go... march forth, oh heroes of the Realm. Secure the primacy and safety of our reality. The story of the eternal Realm under the enlightened rule of its Lords and Ladies."

"Then perhaps it is time for us to depart since it seems we are using up the Chancellors valuable time," Silvanus said.

He looks around at the others knowing that they were facing a serious threat now. He was just hoping they would be able to do what was asked of them and protect their realm.

OOC

Right... this thread is now officially closed.

Everyone in the scene gets 28 xp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back