Grey

Dialectical Hermeticist
Stay away from open windows!

And put the telephone down.

Can you run as fast as this house will fall

When the alarm bell sounds?

Now, I was never much of a dancer

But I know enough to know

You've got to move your idiot body around.

And you can't, can't settle down

Until the idiot in your blood... settles down.

So move around!

I'll post some additional, helpful chargen info in four hours after I get some sleap.

I may or may not get onto chargen assuming standard Crucible, modified for autoMaging.

Like I said, I'm looking at a slightly obnoxious Guardian- stoic, unbending, skinny, and the kind of guy you really want to punch in the face... but know you shouldn't.

It is standard gen, aside from Auto-Logos 3

And you can sit there aggravating like a motherfucker until someone punches you and hits stone, if it pleases you.

A bit of clever ritual casting and that'll be easy if... a tad shortsighted.

'Oh my! A wizard's staff really does have a knob on the end!"

"Wait, that's where your hand has been all this time?"

I'm thinking more "Annoyed guy? What annoyed guy? Nah, there's just this suspicious new crevice in the ground."

Depends on the situation, of course, and LOL I R ROCK is a tool in the arsenal.

Aha, I have an idea. I'm going to play a guy who is totally cool and laid back and happy and cheerful. I'm kinda basing this on an actual Solar whom I made but never got to play, so he's all beautiful golden godchild, in the region of 15 to 17 years old, from a wealthy background. Well educated, well dressed, volumes of poetry tucked into his satchel, more knives than he can count tucked away under his elegant (unfortunately somewhat sun-bleached) silk clothes.

There was another concept kicking round my head last night. I'd been thinking about it already- a Chronomancer who essentially wants to see the world, maybe find out how all the other Magi are managing their domains, and then settle down with his own tower and village of serfs, and continue travelling. With the tower and the village of serfs. Possibly in a moving valley, that may or may not be larger than its borders indicate.

Then last night, I was thinking about what you could do to wander farly freely, and thought "Yeah, maybe a wandering mortal healer before he got his magic."

So he'd be a doctor who wanders round with power over time and space.

I may have to play that one. It won't be a straight rip-off, don't worry...

I'm going for the concept of the combat mage. Agile and fast, packing a massive punch in potent combat magics.

Hmmm, well my interest in being a Necromancer stands, especially when those cool examples I'd seen earlier. Admittedly even the more basic uses also draw me in because who wouldn't want to build a vast legion of undead minions to do their bidding?

The concept of ghost guns sound awesome as well, but the issue I have is ammo. Do the ghosts continually fuel it or are the spent each time you fire it?

Do you have a .PDF of the rulebook, Dingo?

If not I'll provide one, and a truncated rundown of the Magic system will be posted here for quick reference.

And for VERY quick reference:

Conflagrant: A Magus who uses fire, heat, and passion in their powers. (Good for combat)

Cryolyte: A Magus with powers of ice and water, prone to cruelty.

Communer: A Magus with the power to shape flesh and bone, making them strong and resilient. (Good for combat)

Chronomancer: A Magus able to twist time and space. (Good for combat)

Conduit: A Magus able to access all Patterns at a risk, and capable of nulifying Magic.

Guardian: A Magus with power over earth and metals. (Good for combat)

Heartwright: A Magus who can control emotions, and later, even minds.

Necromancer: A Magus with power over dead matter and the essence of souls.

Seer: A Magus able to manipulate Fate (Good for combat)

Stormlord: A Magus with power over weather and electricity

Shadow: A Magus with a rather mysterious power over darkness and shadow.

Torchbearer: A Magus with powers of light, insight, and revelation.

Orzhov said:
Hmmm, well my interest in being a Necromancer stands, especially when those cool examples I'd seen earlier. Admittedly even the more basic uses also draw me in because who wouldn't want to build a vast legion of undead minions to do their bidding?
The concept of ghost guns sound awesome as well, but the issue I have is ammo. Do the ghosts continually fuel it or are the spent each time you fire it?
It depends. More complex ones may be able to re-use the imprisoned ghost, but more often the trick for smaller ones is to trap the ghosts of animals in knucklebones. Fortunately you can just buy them if you need to, in this version of the setting.

The smallest caliber ghostgun looks like a bitching baroque revolver that chambers knucklebones, by the way.

Once, for giggles, I had a Roland Deschain expy Necromancer as an NPC.

Hold on, Conflagrants use passion in their magic? I'd missed that, that's gonna come in handy...

(Players of this game looking at a Conflagrant: FEAR NOT! That's an unrelated character, I think I'm going with the Chronomancer who wants to see the world here.)

I'm hesitating to create a Heartwright aiming to create independent minds... within the minds of his subjects, so that nobody suffers from loneliness!

Or a Shadow who wants to animate everybody's shadow into their own (obedient?) familiar...

Mmmh... or a Communer who wants to grow (friendly?) sentient cysts into everyone's body...

All of those are viable and horrifying in their own unique way.

Is there a reason this character is so disturbingly bent on ending loneliness?

He was often punished by his parents because he claimed to see things... stuck in a closet for days... until he awakened to his magic and did some very vengeful, spiteful things to his parents who left him all alone.

The making of a sociopath :lol:

Still trying to think about it.

I'll be posting a series of threads called Spellbooks tomorrow, when I am not semi-functional owing to sleep deprivation, that might help.

Grey said:
Do you have a .PDF of the rulebook, Dingo?
If not I'll provide one, and a truncated rundown of the Magic system will be posted here for quick reference.

And for VERY quick reference:

Conflagrant: A Magus who uses fire, heat, and passion in their powers. (Good for combat)

Cryolyte: A Magus with powers of ice and water, prone to cruelty.

Communer: A Magus with the power to shape flesh and bone, making them strong and resilient. (Good for combat)

Chronomancer: A Magus able to twist time and space. (Good for combat)

Conduit: A Magus able to access all Patterns at a risk, and capable of nulifying Magic.

Guardian: A Magus with power over earth and metals. (Good for combat)

Heartwright: A Magus who can control emotions, and later, even minds.

Necromancer: A Magus with power over dead matter and the essence of souls.

Seer: A Magus able to manipulate Fate (Good for combat)

Stormlord: A Magus with power over weather and electricity

Shadow: A Magus with a rather mysterious power over darkness and shadow.

Torchbearer: A Magus with powers of light, insight, and revelation.
No, I don't have a pdf of the rulebook.

And I have four mind's eye pictures right now for possible characters

- Conflagrant: Think Avatar (the cartoon) and Fire Nation

- Communer: For some reason I'm thinking Tzimice (VtM)

- Seer: Rutger Hauer in Blind Fury (the old movie)

- Stormlord: (I think you missed that one) A mix of Raiden (the storm god character from Mortal Combat (the movie)), Janna (if you play Leagues of Legends you know what I mean), and Iroh (once again from Avatar).

Communers frequently have a very Tzimisce vibe, to be honest.

Those're all valid character choices. I'll post a link to the latest build of the rules momentarily.

Ah, here it is.

Background, yo!

It can be a hard life under the Magocracy. Disease and malnutrition might be ignored, cured or encouraged at the whim of one's master, and there's very little that can be done about it.

Of course, there are those who know how to deal with it. Communers of the Silver Tree often have a great deal of skill with maladies, but they'll always need research assistants, and a helper with a quick mind can pick up a lot.

Matthias Wayfarer- once Matthias of Seldis- was once such an assistant. Aerin Seldis was a Communer and the master of the town that bore her name, and her speciality was infections- both treatment and creation. But, of course, a Mage can't be everywhere at once, so she needed research assistants; hardy enough to survive occasional contact with one of her new strains, observant enough to note down any changes, and sensible enough not to interfere with her experiments. Matthias was merely one of many at this point- watching the test subjects, bringing their food, and noting down their symptoms.

He was a conscientious worker, though, and tough enough to survive the few infections he did pick up, and she slowly came to rely on him- so when one of her latest diseases was performing well and she wanted to move on to the next stage of testing, Matthias was a sensible choice to assist her.

This stage of testing involved seeing how it responded to treatment by non-Magi. Any Communer would almost certainly be able to save a patient, naturally, but a disease is far less useful if the minions can cure it themselves. This particular infection- originally a mild strain of chickenpox, but with significantly more explosive results- turned out to be vulnerable to many common plant extracts, and so the search for the perfect infection went on.

And Matthas was always there, making notes on what worked and what didn't. The Mistress didn't complain that he spent what little free time using the knowledge he'd picked up to help his family and friends over the illnesses they caught from sources other than her own work- as long as it ddn't interfere with her research, she had no reason to object. An unconventional education in medicine, certainly, but an effective one.

Still, all things come to an end, and Seldis' end came in ice. A nearby Mage, known as the King of the Frozen Citadel, had decided that the small town should be part of his domain. Aerin Seldis set out to face him, pitting her skills against his- and finding them wanting. She was defeated, and her lands annexed.

Matthias managed to escape notice by the new master, remaining unseen and helping the people of his town when he could. He saw a distinct difference between the former ruler's distracted, vague benevolence (though the test subjects would dispute that assessment...) and the cruel tyranny of the King, and it sparked his own interest. Was there any consistency between the ways of the different Magi- and were there those who needed his skill at medicine more?

His decision was eventually made after another of the King of the Frozen Citadel's famous parties, in which several local youths were the centerpiece- as magnificent ice sculptures. Having taught much of what he knew to several acquaintances, Matthias decided to get out- partly to avoid notice himself, and partly to find if there was anyone worse out there.

His wanderings took him many places- the Iron Forest of Khaled, Felyard's Seven Crystal Towers, the shores of Merain's Kingdom Beneath the Waves, and others- though he never stayed long. It became his quest to see the domains of every Mage- perhaps an impossible task, given the not uncommon occurrence of an old domain falling or a new one rising. And somewhere along the way, as his contemplation of the steps he had taken stretching out back along his path- back in space, and back in time- he found the edge of the Glass Desert within himself.

Still he has remained aside from the matters of others, wandering his way, healing those who need it and leaving where he is unwanted, and watching, always watching. At the back of his mind is the possibility of finding a place and people of his own one day- but who knows where his path will lead him next?

So, former lab technician turned wandering healer turned wandering Chronomantic healer. I have a few ideas for using chronomancy in medicine- speeding up recovery times, maybe playing with the shape of things to spread medicine more effectively, that sort of thing.

How much can I do by playing with General Relativity? Since gravity can be represented as a twisting of spacetime, can Chronomancers play with gravity?

Alright, yes, you can muck with the fabric of the universe to a considerable degree.

But I want you to think long and hard about how good an idea that is.

The Machine is likely to dispatch... troubleshooters.

Tell me, Morkais, are you familiar with The Shrike?

Noooo... No, I'm not.

Is Matthias likely to be turned inside out by unimaginably vast cosmic auditors for, let's say, using a localised distortion to stick someone to a ceiling?

Also, teleporting?

Teleporting is fine. If risky.

Background is great, too.

Anyway, Matthias doesn't know about the potential for an audit, so we'll have to see what's a terrible idea in-game, eh? ^_^

Cool, that's fine by me.

Chronomancy's possibly the best one for me to think of truly bizarre uses for, seein' as it's related to what quite possibly may be my job in a few years. I may have to find a reason to justify using words like "topology".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back