I found something interesting...

Like the idea?

• YES! Let me make dysfunctional babies with you!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NO! Get your sci-fi out of my high fantasy!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ooky Spooky

I was digging around the internets, when I came across this little gem. After people came over to see what I as screaming about, I immediately thought "Spooky my boy, you must run this someday. If you don't you will fail as an Epic High Fantasy RPG player for all time."

Blatant said:
This is the world of Exalted, but instead of setting it in Creation it is set in infinite space. Each city is a full blown Planet. The Fair Folk are beings coming from the edges of the known universe.
The Dragon Blooded are the rulers of the Blessed Sector. The Lunars are 'barbarians' at the gates of the Empire, and the Solars are the reborn heroes of the world.

Within the world, the dead have a dimension of their own, occasionally slipping over into the Universe. In another dimension the ancient battleships of the Yozi and their servants lurk.

The Gods are also in existence, beings of energy living on yet another different dimension, much closer tied to the Universe.

This is the world of Exalted, where massive spaceships, warstriders, and heroes do battle against a plethora of enemies.
Would there be any interest here, at all, in a game based in this setting?

Mmm...I've always thought about running a similar game myself, so I'd definately play.

Spaceships powered by Sorcery was one of my big conceits--hard speed caps based on the Circle, playing both into the division of the Exalted powers, the problem with eliminating/ostracising the greatest Sorcerers of Creation, and also plays faithfully to the love Exalted has for precious means of fast travel.

That's actually a neat idea. Engines would probably run on thamaturgy-based principals, or possibly bound demons of some kind. There could easily be a Sorcery effect that alters the way the universe runs so ships get there faster. In the First Age, the Solars had the Gates of Auspicious Passage that networked the universe together, then the relays broke and the Dragon Blooded had to make due.

Sorcery?

Space ships?

Huge ass swords?

Solar Sorcery?

Solar Sorcery powered space ships?

Boarding parties with huge swords led by solar commanders?

I'm SO in.

Dude. :!:

I love starwars and Babylon 5.

I have long regretted that spelljammer was a dead venue before I started gaming.

I mourned the death of third ed and the Open gaming license that meant there would be no more DragonStar.

I'm running, a Dragonstar game on alternating sundays.

I too, am sooo in.

:mrgreen:

Hmm...If I might make a suggestion towards a world building thread to start (unless you don't mind all the heavy lifting of setting such a departure from the standard....)

Edit: oooh....Just thought, Use Thaum for the basis of space travel that way even mortals could ply the spaceways, and demon powered ships are faster based on the circle of the bound demon (perhaps a progression of 150%, 200%, and 250%). The Blessed sector's fleets are greatly feared for the few remaining third circle class and elemental dragon class ships left over from the first age. Also it makes the yozi cults (and banished fleets) slightly more powerful as their masters (when they can make it to the World) can zip them about at otherwise un-catchable speeds. Other spirits might be usable though if that is the case essence rather than circle would be the speed determining factor.

Or perhaps something along the lines of spelljammer's Spelljamming Helms, instead of using spell levels the speed is based on the Captain's (or whoever is attuned to the helm) Essence and the Helm's artifact level, a bound demon or elemental adds it's own essence to the captains for this calculation.... (unfortunatly this relagates space flight to those with at least awakened essence, though considering the number of methods mortals can achieve such it's not too bad)

Hmm, I think a new SpaceFaring Art of thaumaturgy might be necessary.

You're asking me if I want to play a celestial Jedi ?

Well of course I'm in !

It's so horrible...but my gods I can't resist. The issue is, of course the Underworld and Yu-shan, which are other dimensions entirely. Not to mention totally reworking the Craft system. Other than that, it's a pretty easy transfer with some creativity. Maybe War peoples will get some use out of all the space-naval combat.

I'm not sure Craft would really need to change...well, at least not anymore than it already does.

...I just got the horrible image of Lunar/Solar manses actually being built on moons/suns. Or at least in orbit around them. Space station manses for everyone.

Hmm...If I might make a suggestion towards a world building thread to start (unless you don't mind all the heavy lifting of setting such a departure from the standard....)
I think I'll open one in the discussion forums. That way I can get things in order, and if people want to chime in with ideas, there's a place for it.

Gryffon said:
...I just got the horrible image of Lunar/Solar manses actually being built on moons/suns. Or at least in orbit around them. Space station manses for everyone.
So it was spoken, so shall it be!

One of the biggest questions would probably have to be how you want to balance the SciFi-to-Fantasy ratio:

Is outer space an airless, irradiated vacuum utterly inhospitable to all but the most secure of vessels, or can you just sail right on in because magic is magic? Is Magitech hi-tech, or still more Magitech? Stuff in that vein.

...Hmm...how does the Mountain Folk Great Geas change when there's not just one sun? For that matter, how does the Unconquered fellow himself change when, presumably, there are multiple solar systems? Is he just in many places at once, but multiplied?

Yep. There's a lot of history associated with what happens between the breaking of Creation and the present setting for the game that you may not necessarily find to your fitting (especially the breakdown of names, people, places, and how that all developed), but it offers a nice shell to work from regardless. I personally like it because it still maintains a good bit of Exalted's original feeling in setting and such, but that may also be less high technology-based from where you were seemed to be working from.

Man, this sounds like it could be awfully cool...

Not that I really have time the time and creativity to join another game right now, but this is still tempting.

I am totally having visions of a Fair Folk warrior riding around on a space-behemoth and getting into sword fights with spaceships.

heh...

Xenomorphs would be the darkbreeds banished to the center of the planets of creation and fought by the Core-Folk (rather than mountain folk)

Yautjas would be a particularly disturbing looking tribe of fringers from the outer reaches (read; beast men from the bordermarches), their society built on the hunt

and of course, the beamklaives seems the obvious corraltion here for a lightsaber.

By the way, All though I like the idea of Exalted in space on further thought, it strikes me that an attempt to make spaceflight any realler than say....the spelljammer level, will remove too much of the original flavor, at least in my opinion....to be precise..Technology does not exist in Exalted.....I don't think it should....Specifically, ships should be magitech, blasters should be essence weapons or (perhaps advanced) firewands, robots/droids are golems and similar automotons....

Besides having to stat out the mechanics of...well, mechanics...technology seems to me inherently vulnerable in a galaxy where so many weild essence, thus it doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would actually receive much research. Artifacts on the other hand are tried and true....

Also for the suggestion box, perhaps it might be an idea to add 2 zeros to the totals for each exalt type (including DBs) It keeps the ratio of power well in favor of the terrestrials but still keeps the solars, lunars, siddies, abbies, and infernals from being outright squished. Either that or keep the numbers for all exalted as they are just spread thinner, including the DBs. That means a planet might on the fringe might have a Dragon blooded represenative from the imperium or some such, but mostly it would be unexalted patricians in the beuracracy of the blessed sector.

Someone made the comment about there being a black hole in the center of the galaxy...while this might be true of a 'real' galaxy this is not neccesarily the case here, perhaps the center of the galaxy could be a giant sun, or perhaps even a hollow super giant planet bigger than a sun, held together simply by the decree of the gods and the hard work of the elementals. Kind of like a dyson sphere without a sun inside, in the underworld of course there is a blackhole in here, the mouth of the abyss. This might also be where some darkbreed behemoths (of the sort of thing that might be used as spaceships. See; Tyranid Hive Fleet and Bug mother ship) are banished, waiting the day when they can burst through the core folk blockades to ravage an unsuspecting universe....

heh...
Xenomorphs would be the darkbreeds banished to the center of the planets of creation and fought by the Core-Folk (rather than mountain folk)

Yautjas would be a particularly disturbing looking tribe of fringers from the outer reaches (read; beast men from the bordermarches), their society built on the hunt

and of course, the beamklaives seems the obvious corraltion here for a lightsaber.

By the way, All though I like the idea of Exalted in space on further thought, it strikes me that an attempt to make spaceflight any realler than say....the spelljammer level, will remove too much of the original flavor, at least in my opinion....to be precise..Technology does not exist in Exalted.....I don't think it should....Specifically, ships should be magitech, blasters should be essence weapons or (perhaps advanced) firewands, robots/droids are golems and similar automotons....

Besides having to stat out the mechanics of...well, mechanics...technology seems to me inherently vulnerable in a galaxy where so many weild essence, thus it doesn't seem like the sort of thing that would actually receive much research. Artifacts on the other hand are tried and true....

Also for the suggestion box, perhaps it might be an idea to add 2 zeros to the totals for each exalt type (including DBs) It keeps the ratio of power well in favor of the terrestrials but still keeps the solars, lunars, siddies, abbies, and infernals from being outright squished. Either that or keep the numbers for all exalted as they are just spread thinner, including the DBs. That means a planet might on the fringe might have a Dragon blooded represenative from the imperium or some such, but mostly it would be unexalted patricians in the beuracracy of the blessed sector.

Someone made the comment about there being a black hole in the center of the galaxy...while this might be true of a 'real' galaxy this is not neccesarily the case here, perhaps the center of the galaxy could be a giant sun, or perhaps even a hollow super giant planet bigger than a sun, held together simply by the decree of the gods and the hard work of the elementals. Kind of like a dyson sphere without a sun inside, in the underworld of course there is a blackhole in here, the mouth of the abyss. This might also be where some darkbreed behemoths (of the sort of thing that might be used as spaceships. See; Tyranid Hive Fleet and Bug mother ship) are banished, waiting the day when they can burst through the core folk blockades to ravage an unsuspecting universe....
Take a look at this.

Exalted is a game where you can feasibly surf down an exploding mountain on the robo-dinosaur you cobbled together out of rocks at the top, the reason you are surfing rather than riding would be that one of it's legs was disabled in the on-fire-super-swords duel you had with the magical unformed beings from beyond time and space who were riding THEIR (non robo) dinosaurs down the mountain. The duel you had WHILE riding the robo-dinosaur.

Now you are proposing to take all this...if not the EXACT scenario, then certainly the flavor, and put it in space.

This is inherently awesome. I only question how White Wolf themselves missed this.

Frankly, so long as your willing to blatantly ignore certain technologies (advanced guns of any sort that could be wielded by individuals) then the only change I see is that travel becomes more regulated, with un-scheduled launches/landings being investigated, so Anathema on a ship would have to adopt some disguise/business so they aren't just tracked down by their shipping records...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back