I don't need a new edition

Xar

Dice Roller
I just need more campaign material. Seriously has always been the problem with WW games. In ten years, how many published adventures do we have for exalted? 3? We mostly play DnD, because I have so much material we'll never get through half of it. It comes down to 20 minutes of prep time for a 4 hour game.

We love exalted - but it is too much work. Lots of ideas, but I don't have the time.

With Exalted, like many games, you get out what you put in. I've never been a fan of published adventures in RP games, because they seem too rigid in their nature, both for the ST and the players.

Captain Hesperus

Exalted has never been friendly to traditional pre-generated scenarios. However, EX3 will definitely be filled to the brim with story hooks to make it friendlier for coming up with your own, and combined with our experience and the new everything for the game, good scenarios may be more likely. Lea's quickstart may be a good signpost for that. (None of the latter part of this is a spoiler or especially informed guesstimation even.)

There is 5 published adventure for 2nd edition exalted (not sure for 1st edition but from what I heard its books were brimming with adventure ideas even if not specifically pre-generated) excluding 'return of tomb of five corner' however each published book (both hardcover and softcover) has many ideas for adventures (especially Return of Scarlet Empress has so many ideas for different parts of creation) and with scroll of exalts you can use some quick concept characters with little to no tweaking.

One of the things I like to do is have world building sessions, typically the first one of any game. We build factions and things together that have motivations and plots and are doing things/trying to shape the world even when they are not on screen.

After building everything together, the plot/story just typically happens to fall into place.

Exalted desperately needs a mechanics overhaul.

The setting is a whole, giant plot hook, any prefab story would make me feel I'm back to DnD, especially given that the average Exalted char is far larger than the plot itself.

Well Exalted is getting an overhaul. And yes I agree the average Exalted character is larger than the plot which is why you need you need to make the plot bigger to go with that bigger character.

More than a flaw, I see it as a feature of WW games. I myself don't like pregenerated adventures when there are so many good ideas to connect as I like on the published material.

I've never been run through a pre gen adventure, but I've taken a few and looked at them to mine for ideas. The one I read for exalted..Daughter of Nexus? had some good ideas so I see where Xar is coming from...that adventure was pretty solid. Though that may be more to the fact that the setting is so rife with ideas. Exalted is one of my favorite settings and a lot of the books have great info in them.

However, I think having a 3rd edition should be a good thing. Expanding on the setting, and hopefully addressing some of the mechanics. I'd love to try running the game again for some friends, but sometimes dealing with the mechanics seems a little too daunting.

Well, part of the reason the new edition is attractive to me is the fact that it should significantly reduce prep time for GM, assuming all we've been promised comes to pass. With combat that's more forgiving and quick-gen rules for NPCs, you won't have to spend quite so much time precisely calibrating encounters for your players. At least such is my hope.

[QUOTE="el pinko grande]Well, part of the reason the new edition is attractive to me is the fact that it should significantly reduce prep time for GM, assuming all we've been promised comes to pass. With combat that's more forgiving and quick-gen rules for NPCs, you won't have to spend quite so much time precisely calibrating encounters for your players. At least such is my hope.

[/QUOTE]
Amen.

I'm looking forward to being able to quickly stat Exalted NPCs, I find as awesome as it is, that must of my preparation for my games is that I run are stating characters.

I'm also really interested to seeing the quick stat npcs. Hopefully with that it will make planning encounters for pc's that much faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back