Opinion I carry a sword, is that odd?

What "collateral damage" are you worried about with a sword? It's not hard to be mindful of what's within two or three feet of you. For that matter, if you're in a situation where you have to fight someone with a sword, smacking a TV is the last thing I'd be worried about.

The Water Scroll doesn't actually say anything about whether swords are already drawn or even what your opponent is wielding; in fact, the book as a whole is very generalized and the techniques are designed to be applied to as many situations as possible, because the author lauded adaptability, not "tailoring techniques to their purpose". Again, you'd know this if you'd actually read it, and I recommend you do, because the Book of Five Rings is probably the most famous book on Japanese swordsmanship and strategy.

Also stated in the book's Earth Scroll was that a long sword can be applied to any situation. Stabbing the Heart is an example of how it can be used as such.

Also, the tanto was supplanted by the wakizashi around the time the katana became popular. The wakizashi was actually found the most suitable for indoor combat (but was still second to the katana as a war sword), and the tanto became a more ornate weapon, primarily used for suicides, especially a woman's suicide.

While we're on the subject of BoFR, the Wind Scroll states that over-relying on just a shorter blade is actually a sign of weak martial arts. I can pull up the exact passage, if you'd like.

But it seems as if you've already decided to ignore my posts and pretend your word can stand against that of Miyamoto Musashi.

I agree with ComradeSenpai that a katana can be easily used in confined spaces, though I completely disagree with his approach. If you want to debate this, do so respectfully.

I have used short swords, and I know that they could be preferable in confined spaces if you are trained with them, and I have no doubt that you know what you are doing. That aside, hate short swords. My friend and I both love swords. We train with our swords, But We don't use practice swords. He has a Claymore that he uses and I have a longsword that I use. We have trained enough to be able to have some pretty epic battles. Just a couple weeks ago, We battled for about 30 minutes straight, both of us wondering who was going to lose an arm. We have both sustained injuries from it (I actually just left a pretty Good gash in his hand about 8 hours ago), though We are both very confident that We could defend ourselves if We ended up in a situation where We had to use out swords (Obviously not if someone tried to mug us with a gun or something, you get the point). I have used short swords in our battles, and I personally hate them. Leaves too much room to fuck up, considering How close you have to get to strike. But if you are trained to use one, that is great, and all the power to you.

Okay. So I know nothing about swords, but I'd like to comment on this "using this sword or that sword" indoors. Discussion is cool, but there's no reason to get heated over anything unless it directly deals with life/death or someones well-being. I realize that writings of esteemed practitioners of the trade are being cited. However, their writings are just opinions about what they discovered. To take their opinions, no matter how logical and right they may seem, and push it onto someone as if it were fact, is not in good taste. Sensei did advise earlier that the weapon was a symbol as well as for self-defense. The tanto is personal to him.

With that said, take these ancient opinions with a grain of salt. Everyone has a different way to go about things. Effectiveness really comes down to the practitioner. If there was one best way for everything, then in the arena of Pro martial arts, everyone would have the same style. With the name being Mixed-Martial-Arts, this is clearly not the case.

Sensei! I think your sword-carrying is very unique. I don't quite understand why you do it since I was never involved in your background, but kudos! We all have our things.

Did you just call a martial art an opinion? I don't think you understand what an opinion is. It's as if you'd think football is an opinion, or that how to wash food properly is an opinion.

Niten style, Licthenauer's school of fencing, Italian school of fencing, Elizabethan fencing, boxing, wrestling, and even modern martial arts and combat techniques used by the soldiers defending your own country today were developed by men through constant training, fighting, and experience, then taught to duelists and soldiers who proved their effectiveness in combat. Miyamoto Musashi and his writings are held in high regard for a reason. He won over sixty duels in his life on top of participating in several battles, so his word on the subject isn't something you take lightly. The same goes for any other master of a martial art.

Frankly, it's disgusting you'd handwave the lives of countless men away with "That's just like your opinion".

You already admitted you don't know anything about swords, so consider what I said your first lesson. Go study for a few years, then come back.

@ComradeSenpai

Sorry. I had no idea you felt so strongly about the subject. I'd never just wave off lives like that, please don't think that was my intent. Well as you've said, I know nothing about swords and you're right. Just putting in my thoughts to keep a discussion from turning ugly.

It's fine. You're right; individual skill does matter, but a martial art isn't an opinion or fact; it's a martial art. And if you've got a guy who's renowned as an expert in the field like Musashi or Lichtenauer, then those are the people you should think firstly about with the subject.

ComradeSenpai said:
It's fine. You're right; individual skill does matter, but a martial art isn't an opinion or fact; it's a martial art. And if you've got a guy who's renowned as an expert in the field like Musashi or Lichtenauer, then those are the people you should think firstly about with the subject.
Haha. This is true. I love playing devil's advocate so in the future, I'd like to argue with you about that xD Don't want to blow up Sensei's thread though ( :x ). Let me know when you're down.

Martial art is not an opinion. But it is a teaching that can differ from other teachings, and that about puts it on the same level of an opinion. If I were to take classes to learn How to fight, I would take as many different classes as I could, and put my own technique together. I would never rely on the teachings of one person.

He wasn't "handwaving" the lives of countless men. He was simply trying to prevent any further argument. But if We want to get into the topic of "handwaving", what about religion? Christianity, for example, is teachings that came from whoever wrote the Bible. If you are Christian, then are Muslims "handwaving" your opinion by believing that God doesn't exist, and Allah exists instead? Let's put it in a different perspective, if you are Muslim, and have been told your whole life that Allah is the Almighty, are Christians just "handwaving" your opinion? Accepting one man's writing as fact is fine if you believe it is true, But denying other writings that differ is simply illogical. Just because you worship Musashi doesn't make him all-wise, all-knowing, and all-powerful. Everyone has their own opinion on martial arts, so Masquerade is right in saying that it is an opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back