Opinion I carry a sword, is that odd?

Sensei Fox

Eater of Goldfish Crackers
I do carry a sword when I go out in public. I don't keep it on me while I'm at work because it would be entirely too cumbersome and not useful. I do keep a smaller knife on me however for work. When I go around in public I have a traditional tanto made by Paul Chen called the Tori. You can Google a picture of it for yourself if you're curious. It is an attractive blade. It's a little over 17 inches long in the Saya and I do have a black Obi sash that I secure the sword in. I use my actual belt sometimes as well. The laws in my area don't have a ban against it and no laws against the length so it's legal that I carry it as long as I don't start challenging people to duel for their honor.

I do carry it as a weapon, because it is, but also as a matter of mindset. I studied martial arts since I was extremely young and was into knights and samurais and all that stuff. Naturally I came around to the different warrior codes and the relationship between the warrior and the sword. I carry it more for those reasons than anything else. Application is of course a function of carrying it in case I do come across a situation that warrants its use, thankfully I haven't had one.

My question is, is this odd? I am aware that people don't carry swords anymore, even short swords, due to laws or just the lack of knowledge in how to use one where a firearm is easier to learn and has a longer range of effectiveness. Is it odd to believe in these moral codes today as well as keeping a sword on person in accordance with the codes? Let me be clear that I won't stop carrying my sword whatever the general opinion appears to be. I fully intend to carry a blade with me until we enter a time in which it doesn't have practical application. My question pertains to the carrying of swords in public and if it really is an odd thing to do.

Maybe to some people but I thinks that's pretty awesome. If I had a sword, I would definitely consider carrying it around. If only to show it off. I would very much like to see it!

I'll google a quick picture for you.

51EBy-4-7KL._SY355_.jpg

Of course they have confronted me before. They were friendly of course and more curious than anything. I had actually checked with an officer about the legality of my carrying before I began to carry. They are alright with it and after I explained why I carry it and they seem satisfied enough with my reasoning. Mainly any opposition I get from carrying it are from store owners and other people with the constitution of a chicken nugget. Generally people are just curious about it when they ask and leave with a smile by the end of our conversation. As for the store owners, if their grounds prohibit weapons I do follow the law and disarm myself before entering their establishment. However, if it is unmarked then I will carry it. If confronted I'll explain myself and the laws protecting my ability to carry.

Hmm. Thats actually really cool I think. I'm glad that you don't have much problem doing it either. I've been thinking of obtaining a katana. But as long as I'm under my parent's roof it probably won't happen. Maybe someday.

Well I was taught and given a good example by both my parents on how to speak to authorities respectfully if they confront me as opposed to what we see on the the news all too often of a person trying to appear dominant to the authorities through yelling and other rude means. As for a katana, I don't think I would carry one in today's world unless I walked absolutely everywhere. Most places I go are indoors and therefore confined by both people and objects. Using the katana to any effect in a situation would be difficult and more cumbersome than actually helpful. A wakizashi would be a step down but for my purposes would still be a little too long for confined indoor use. You could get away with it but if you find yourself in a narrow corridor or in a crowd you may suffer some collateral damage or a limited range of movement. That's why I went with the tanto. It's smaller but still very effective in modern situations. You'll still have more reach over most other hand weapons and you can deploy it with deadly effect with practice. You'll be less restricted by small spaces and crowds as well.

Oh I agree with you. I live in a somewhat crowded small town. And just the way people are around here, it would definitely be troublesome. When I get out of my parents house, I'd really like to get out to an area more open and with fewer people.

Interesting. Although I still don't quite understand your reasoning for carrying a sword. For self-defense?

Personally, I come from two countries that have much stricter rules about carrying weapons. You need a proper license and permission for possessing them. Even carrying pepper spray could get you a fine. This is because in a dangerous situation any weapons that you're carrying could be used against you. It doesn't matter how much martial arts you do, each situation is different and you can never know how it will go and whether someone is going to get hurt. Even if you're the one getting assaulted, if you respond by attacking with a sword and possibly harm/kill your aggressor, you're the one going to jail, not your aggressor.

I wouldn't say it's odd, I just find it quite frightening that people feel the need to carry around weapons. I can understand collecting them and admiring them, but a civilian carrying a weapon in public sounds pretty scary to me.

Concerning katanas, I've been to Japan numerous times and lived there for a longer period of time and I have to say they have very strict rules about weapons and firearms. You absolutely have to get a license for a real katana in Japan, otherwise they will definitely confiscate it. Not sure about replicas, I guess it would depend on the country where the replica was made.

I do carry it or self defense and as a bit of a symbol for lack of a better word. Having a sword is a commitment to what I believe. With a sword I can end a life easily and with that it shouldn't be taken lightly. Practice in martial arts is more than learning fancy moves and how to win, it's about knowing when to fight and when not to. You cold say that I carry it so that I don't have to use it. If I can talk down a situation, I will. Bushido puts that principal well.

"Rectitude is one’s power to decide upon a course of conduct in accordance with reason, without wavering; to die when to die is right, to strike when to strike is right."

If I were confronted in a situation where the use of my sword would be warranted, it would be in the last line of choices. Only when life is truly on the line would the sword be drawn. Even after drawn, whoever my opponent would be would be given a chance to back down unless they had already engaged in a threat of life. Even after that, if they pursue my goal is disabling rather than killing. Having given them every chance to leave the fight alone and still pursuing a threat to my own or another's life then I would have to pursue a lethal course. Self control is always taught with any art as well as the weight of a life. My sword would only be used in self defense and in the defense of others.

Living in America, I do have the right to carry my sword without a license. I also have the right to defend myself to an appropriate degree. As I mentioned before, taking a life is not and will never be my first course of action. There will always be alternatives. If taking a life can be avoided it will be.

As for situations always being different, this is correct. Learning fancy moves and whatnot will only take you so far. However, piecing together these teaching into combatives is what keeps you alive. That is why there is sparring between two people. It is one way of teaching how to think on your feet in a situation that is ever changing. The human mind is capable of these things despite popular belief.

People have always needed to carry weapons. The truth of the world is that there are people that mean you harm. Without some way of protecting yourself and without people protecting each other, the criminals of the world flourish. I'm not saying everyone on the street should be armed with swords and other means of weaponry. What I do believe is that people who have been trained properly to use their weapon with sound judgement should have their weapon ready at all times to defend themselves and others who do not have such means. To sum that up again: Professionals should practice what they preach, others that don't want to learn or can't should not carry the weapons of professionals. The latter can however trust that those with the ability would help them should the need arise.

From what I can get from your post is that you're immensely worried about your own safety. Do you live in a bad neighborhood? I've done martial arts myself, specifically aikido, so I definitely know it's not about winning. I did it to protect myself, in case I find myself in a difficult situation. However, I've found that prevention is the best way to protect yourself, not carrying a weapon that requires a license and could very potentially be used against you.

My opinion is, unless you are in the law enforcement or military, there is no legitimate reason for you to carry a weapon. You mentioned you come from America, which explains a lot to me because your Constitution is quite different in that regard. I'm not against owning weapons or having a hobby that has something to do with them, as long as those weapons are not carried around casually or used outside that hobby. The problem in this world today is that people do not take enough precautions and are not taught how to be careful. As a woman living in a big city, I know how to avoid risky situations and should it come down to one, I also know how to act. I don't need to a sword and certainly not a gun to protect myself.

People have always needed to carry weapons. The truth of the world is that there are people that mean you harm. Without some way of protecting yourself and without people protecting each other, the criminals of the world flourish.
I disagree with this. You do not need a weapon to protect yourself, as I stated above. The fact that you carry a weapon sounds like you're looking to engage. Not only that, you are sending people a message that you are a potentially dangerous person. In public, random people don't care how professional or unprofessional you are. If you carry a weapon, it will spread fear and suspicion, because that's not the norm today. Law enforcement obviously carries a weapon, but anyone outside of that shouldn't, not outside their house and their hobby at least. Speaking of the police, I know recently the US there has been evidence of how crooked the law enforcement there is, however, where I come from they do their job and citizens can count on them. I don't need another civilian to protect me, it's not their job.

Also, ate the age of eighteen, would you honestly consider yourself as a professional? Don't take this the wrong way, but even people twice your age handling swords and carrying weapons in public don't exactly make me feel any safer than I already feel. If anything, you're bringing those weapons to public and giving people an opportunity to use them against you or provoke you. Don't give them that opportunity, take precautions and have your common sense with you, learn to act in difficult situations and take basic martial arts and I honestly think you are just fine.

I do live in an area where violence does happen frequently. People here will have less than swords but is several different hands. A sword against several knives does even the playing field in terms of combat. My sword does not require a license and I've been trained to keep retention of the blade. It's a simple movement of pivoting the arm if contested.

Being careful only takes you so far. An entirely normal situation in a usually safe area can turn into a violent situation very quickly. I think it's better to have the sword when the time comes for it to be used than be caught without it. I don't believe I would have my life hindered by fear either. Avoiding situations has merit but letting it dictate how my life is conducted day to day is not something I'll stand for.

I carry a weapon if engagement starts. It is defense after all. There are certain lines to be crossed before it would be implemented. Any doubts of my character by onlookers can be solved with a simple conversation. I also try to keep my appearance as clean cut as possible. I do try not to seem dangerous looking. Even the sword I carry is more beautiful than intimidating. Yes people will be afraid seeing a sword in public but again, simple conversation can clear up those details. The norm today is carrying a gun. However, the gun replaced the sword. If not for the gun, the sword would still be the norm. Law enforcement here is meant to keep peace and protect if the situation presents itself. However response times and how thinly they are spread out can make their job more investigative as they crime has already happened by the time they arrive. There are some corrupt police officers like there are corrupt people in any other line of work. Most officers are good people though. That being said, they still can't be everywhere at once. My belief is to take matters that can be handled by myself into my hands. If a violent crime can be stopped, or at least slowed until proper authorities arrive, then that is a civilian duty. The police really can only do so much. Citizens have their role in keeping order as well.

Experience is experience. I've had my share of bokkens to the ribs. Starting at the age of five still gives me 13 years of experience in blade arts and philosophy behind the blade. Using my blade against me would require one to enter the space which I consider close enough to create distance from that person before incident. If not my blade, they'll use another weapon. They'll use a hammer, a knife, a machete, an ice pick, a gun. There is a long list of things that can come into play against me other than my guarded sword. Provokation is a threat to one's mental health and can cause unwanted actions as a reaction. However, being set in training and philosophy helps guard from these things. The opportunity for violence is ever present with or without my sword. The fact that I have my sword is the precaution. Training is my common sense. Basic martial arts only carry you so far. Learning moves and throws with basic tenants behind them will only reach so far. A proper mind conditioned by year's of experience with a proper tool is a greater safety than relying on a system of protection dependant on where you are when a situation arises.

I think it's better to have the sword when the time comes for it to be used than be caught without it.
This logic doesn't make any sense to me. With this same logic you could basically say people should always be materially prepared for absolutely everything. That's not possible, nor is it a healthy way of life. I would say it's much more beneficial to make precautions part of your daily routine. You know, not going somewhere alone, not walking alone late at night, checking inside your car before you get in, etc etc. Rather than carry an actual weapon around that could turn things very ugly not just for your aggressor but also for yourself.

I do try not to seem dangerous looking. Even the sword I carry is more beautiful than intimidating. Yes people will be afraid seeing a sword in public but again, simple conversation can clear up those details.
Just like the actual aggressors, in other words. They don't try to appear suspicious or dangerous looking either. No one is going to make an accurate judgment based on your appearance, certainly not if you're carrying a sword. It really does send a message and it's not a very good one. Not many are willing to approach you just to ask, that's just how society is. If I see someone with a weapon, I don't care how good or honest looking they are, they are still a potential threat since they bring their weapon into public.

The norm today is carrying a gun. However, the gun replaced the sword. If not for the gun, the sword would still be the norm.
The only thing I can say to this is that this is where cultural differences separate you and me. If you step outside the US, you'll realize carrying a weapon is anything but a norm. This is something that is seen very specific to the US and it is definitely not universal. So, no, you are wrong by stating it is a norm. For many years now, people have given up on carrying weapons, because that 'privilege' belongs to the law enforcement and to the military or self-defense forces, not to the civilians. To me it sounds like you live in a world of the past.

My belief is to take matters that can be handled by myself into my hands. If a violent crime can be stopped, or at least slowed until proper authorities arrive, then that is a civilian duty. The police really can only do so much. Citizens have their role in keeping order as well.
As I said above, you do not need a weapon to handle a situation like this. You do not need a weapon to help another person. The simple fact that someone else is around and you start screaming and attract their attention can save someone's life. To give you a real life example, my friend had the unfortunate experience to be assaulted by a man late at night. He attempted to take her clothes off and rape her, and she reacted by screaming and trashing around. That reaction saved her life, because the guy freaked out since people nearby heard her and ran away. You'd be surprised to know most aggressors expect their victim to be too scared to act in that moment. So, yes, you can help others, you can help yourself, but by no means does it require any type of weapon. If anything, precaution should be the norm. Common sense should be the norm. There are plenty of tips and tricks out there, you just need to learn them and make them part of your routine. I would say it's much less stressful than carrying a weapon around that, and I say this for the tenth time, can very well be used against you.

To comment on your last statement about citizens having a role in keeping order, yes, by respecting the laws and by having common sense. And yet again, no weapon is needed for that.

The opportunity for violence is ever present with or without my sword. The fact that I have my sword is the precaution. Training is my common sense.
Having a weapon is a bad precaution for reasons that I've already stated above. You might consider yourself an expert in something, but literally anything can happen. Precaution is something you do to avoid even getting into a situation like that. I stated some examples above, but there are plenty more. There are also tips on how to act in situations where someone is threatening you with a knife and asking for your money. And in none of those situations you need a weapon. Concretely, what are you even going to do with a sword? Slash the person and potentially hit an artery? I don't see how that is an admirable thing to do, if anything it sounds just as violent to me as someone attacking an innocent person.

Training does not give you common sense, training teaches you how to act and react in very specific, controlled situations, which is the place where you train. In real life, there are many other factors that come into play that influence the situation. Training does not prepare you for it adequately. Common sense is something shared by all people, trained or untrained, to make judgments on situations when you are in them or before accidentally entering one. It's a basic human instinct and everybody has it, so it is not a matter of training, it is a matter of listening to yourself and not going to a place where you could potentially end up in a violent situation.

The training-to-be-a-cop side of me was pretty wary at first, but as long as your intent isn't to cause trouble and you're not breaking the law, I'd say it's fine. This is a free nation, you're allowed to be weird.

I would like to start by saying that I think it is awesome that you carry a sword in today's society. I have a few swords, and my best friend and I are always sparring for practice. I have carried my sword into town many times, and my best friend and I have sparred in the middle of the streets, though we do it for fun, as we do Live-action Roleplay. We were stopped by a cop once when we also had airsoft guns, and the cop said he noticed that mine had the orange tip, but my friends didn't and that he needed to get one, and said absolutely nothing about the two big medieval swords that were plainly obvious. The cop knew that the swords were legal and he had no problem with us carrying them. The only reason he even stopped us was because someone saw us and was scared because they had their kid with them. But I have never even considered carrying a sword around like you do. I might actually do that.

Even in indoor places, a full length katana can still be safely used, especially using reverse grip. With reverse grip, the pivot point of the blade is more towards the middle, confining you to a smaller range, and allowing you to fight even in a doorway.

As for your comments, @Stone Fox , I completely disagree with you. When I read "a civilian carrying a weapon in public sounds pretty scary to me", I laughed. I understand that you come from a completely different society, and things may be different there, but you are trying to fuse the two together. Maybe in your society, a civilian carrying a weapon is scary. In America, I am more scared of the cop carrying the gun than the civilian. There is a reason we have the second amendment. Our founding fathers gave us the right to bear arms because they knew that the government could become too powerful, and they wanted us to be able to protect ourselves if that day comes. The "privilege" of carrying a gun you say the police have, is not a privilege. It is a basic human right here in America. My dad does not leave his house without his gun. You never know when someone is going to try to rob the bank you are in or mug you in the streets. If the police where you live are doing their job and protecting the citizens, that is great. You don't need a weapon, then. Here in America, we do. Our police are taking our rights away, and they do nothing to protect citizens. Our police are not required to protect individual citizens, they are required to protect society. There was a case of a serial killer on a subway with a knife, and there were two cops ON THE SUBWAY hiding in the conductors area, staking out to arrest the guy. When he decided to stab someone on the train with his big butchers knife, the guy decided to fight back. In the process of wrestling the knife out of the killers hand, the guy got stabbed in the cheek, in the back of the head multiple times, and also on his back multiple times. While he was doing this, where were the cops? About five feet away behind a big metal door to protect them from the knife they saw when they opened the door to help, immediately closing it because two cops with guns and tazers and night-sticks couldn't take out a guy with a knife. After the guy had wrestled the knife out of the killers hand, the cops came out and arrested him, days later going on the news to talk about how they wrestled the knife out of his hands and arrested him. When the guy tried to sue the cops, he lost because the supreme court ruled that cops have no requirement to protect individual citizens.

So if your cops are doing their job right, then as I said, great for you. But here in America, we need our guns to protect ourselves from our tyrannical government and police officers, and anyone out their who wants to hurt us.

And how can you say that he was wrong in saying that carrying a gun is the norm? He wasn't saying that it is a worldwide norm, he was saying that it is the norm here in America.

When I read "a civilian carrying a weapon in public sounds pretty scary to me", I laughed.
In America, I am more scared of the cop carrying the gun than the civilian.
It is a basic human right here in America
Here in America, we do
But here in America, we need our guns to protect ourselves from our tyrannical government and police officers, and anyone out their who wants to hurt us.
He wasn't saying that it is a worldwide norm, he was saying that it is the norm here in America
@Todd McKenzie So since everything revolves around America, I guess this conversation is over for me since I'm from Europe? At what point was the discussion limited to American opinions only? I was simply expressing my own, which is very widely shared outside your country. My point is that something you might consider completely normal is outrageous to many, many others (and justifiably so), and we're doing just fine without a constitution guaranteeing any rights to carry weapons. Him saying it's the norm to me sounded like he was making an assumption about the entire world. Why limit the conversation to the US? It's not the only country in the world, after all.

Stone Fox] [URL="https://www.rpnation.com/profile/12276-todd-mckenzie/ said:
@Todd McKenzie[/URL] So since everything revolves around America, I guess this conversation is over for me since I'm from Europe? At what point was the discussion limited to American opinions only? I was simply expressing my own, which is very widely shared outside your country. My point is that something you might consider completely normal is outrageous to many, many others (and justifiably so), and we're doing just fine without a constitution guaranteeing any rights to carry weapons. Him saying it's the norm to me sounded like he was making an assumption about the entire world. Why limit the conversation to the US? It's not the only country in the world, after all.
You're right, it isn't the only country in the world. But it is the country he is in, and it is America's laws that he must follow. So saying that he shouldn't carry it because the police officers in your country are doing their jobs correctly makes no sense. I understand that it may be scary in Europe to imagine a citizen carrying a gun. Your society is different and I get that. But here in America, when shit hits the fan and the government tries to take over, the citizens without guns are going to be thankful we have citizens that do carry guns. Stating your opinion is perfectly fine, I was just trying to point out that our societies are different, and trying to mix the values of each together makes for a flawed argument.

I know very well that our societies are different, which makes the conversation even more interesting. What you consider an obvious human right is considered by many European countries an unhealthy obsession with weapons. I know there are some very dangerous cities in the US, but that doesn't mean I'm not not going to say what I honestly think of citizens carrying a gun. It doesn't matter to me. I speak generally, I don't limit myself to the laws and customs of one single country. And I'm not advancing my opinions as a way to insult anyone, I simply think every country deserves outside criticism, because it is valuable and provides a more objective point of view.

I have a double nationality and I hate and love my both countries equally. I haven't been fully immersed in either country entirely, so it definitely gives me a chance to be objective and point out flaws based on my own individual value system. This conversation isn't any different. It could be about me asking whether it's normal that politicians in France are so corrupted or whether it's normal in Finland that there's still no full separation of church and state in 21st century, and you would be giving your objective point of view on the matter. Of course, it's hard to be fully unbiased, but when you haven't been fully immersed in any society in particular, I believe it gets easier to look at things critically. That's what I'm doing here, essentially. Giving you an outside point of you regardless of the fact that I know our societies are different. You don't have to accept it, but at least hear me out. Give it a thought.

What you consider an unhealthy obsession with weapons is what you see from the stupid rednecks in our country. What you are failing to understand is that, in our society, guns are necessary. In Switzerland, adults are issued a rifle and are required to keep it in their home. Switzerland has one of the lowest rates of gun related crimes in the world. During World War 2, Japan had plans to attack the land mass of the US. The reason they decided not to was because they knew that almost every citizen was armed. Think about that. Japan was not afraid of our armies, but they were afraid of our citizens. When a mass shooting is stopped by police, the average number of deaths is 18. When a mass shooting is stopped by an armed citizen, the average number of deaths is 2.

Sensei Fox how do you not know how to use a full length katana indoors. You can even use a European longsword indoors if you take five minutes to research, and those are significantly larger than the typical Japanese sword.

Come on any martial artist worth his salt knows this.

ComradeSenpai said:
Sensei Fox how do you not know how to use a full length katana indoors. You can even use a European longsword indoors if you take five minutes to research, and those are significantly larger than the typical Japanese sword.
Come on any martial artist worth his salt knows this.
Then please do some research for me and prove your point rather than just saying it's true. By the way I was taught, the shorter sword was used indoors. If you are in a spacious building you can use a katana to effect but in a small environment where there is possibility of hurting a non-combatant, the use of a shorter weapon in preferred. It is more responsible to have the shorter tanto rather than the katana for that fact. With the smaller weapon I am less limited in movement while still retaining a superior weapon.

[QUOTE="Sensei Fox]Then please do some research for me and prove your point rather than just saying it's true. By the way I was taught, the shorter sword was used indoors. If you are in a spacious building you can use a katana to effect but in a small environment where there is possibility of hurting a non-combatant, the use of a shorter weapon in preferred. It is more responsible to have the shorter tanto rather than the katana for that fact. With the smaller weapon I am less limited in movement while still retaining a superior weapon.

[/QUOTE]
Book of Five Rings, Water scroll, Stabbing the Heart technique, if we're going just by the katana.

And in the West, Germany's school of fencing's halbschwert.

ComradeSenpai said:
Book of Five Rings, Water scroll, Stabbing the Heart technique, if we're going just by the katana.
And in the West, Germany's school of fencing's halbschwert.
That is a single thrust when using a long sword and can't be stretched as a fit-all technique. The time drawing and orienting the sword properly without hitting anything around the user is much more than that of drawing the tanto. The book details this before the section you've chosen in The Way of the Long sword. The tanto is faster and more flexible to the urban environment.

If you want to draw a long sword without hitting anything, you just need basic spatial awareness.

Secondly, katana are pretty well known for their ability to be drawn quickly; if you can't draw and ready it quickly then you don't practice enough. Even if drawing and slashing is impossible in the allotted time, you can still attack without drawing the sword, by using a pommel strike, which can also be done in a drawing motion.

And it's not a "single thrust"; it's a thrust. And of course it's not a fit-all technique; that section specifically states it's a strategy for cramped quarters.

Of course, you'd know that if you'd actually read the book.

ComradeSenpai said:
If you want to draw a long sword without hitting anything, you just need basic spatial awareness.
Secondly, katana are pretty well known for their ability to be drawn quickly; if you can't draw and ready it quickly then you don't practice enough. Even if drawing and slashing is impossible in the allotted time, you can still attack without drawing the sword, by using a pommel strike, which can also be done in a drawing motion.

And it's not a "single thrust"; it's a thrust. And of course it's not a fit-all technique; that section specifically states it's a strategy for cramped quarters.

Of course, you'd know that if you'd actually read the book.
Spacial awareness is the use of the proper sword at the proper time. Drawing a katana is quicker than most other swords but drawing a tanto is faster still and achieves the same effect with less risk of collateral damage. The design of the blades are meant as a slashing weapon that also allows good thrusting. Using a tanto gives me the range if both a slash and stab should either be needed. The section state's what you're detailing with the sword already drawn and assuming the opponent also has a long sword. Now with your final sentence I'm deeming you a baiting troll and I don't believe you actually know what you're talking about. A katana is not the preferred weapon to use indoors or in other tight spaces. It was not made for that purpose. The tanto was made for that purpose. The techniques governing each are tailored to their purpose. Take this as your lesson not to leave your bait around. You'll find yourself ignored on my posts now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back