How Uber Should Artifact 5 Be?

One of my players wanted an artifact that destroys soulsteel but frees the souls within to pass into lethe rather than oblivion.

It takes time, investment of essence, and I think a hearthstone if I'm feeling naughty, and it's going to be quite large and thus non-portable.

But I think I'd have it at five points anyway because it changes dramatically the theme of exalted: Oblivion is not the invariable end of the souls forged thus.

I'd say more, but that flagrant metagamer Jack is poaching my posts...

What kind of niftiness could a level five artifact accomplish in regards to aiding sorcery if did nothing else?  

I have a hard time creating anything over level three.  Guess I'm just a Terrestrial gamer.

Kyrn said:
What kind of niftiness could a level five artifact accomplish in regards to aiding sorcery if did nothing else?
Perhaps it could allow a sorceror to cast completely ad-libbed spells?

-S

That would be extremely nifty.  But how?  I mean, would you just free form it based on the spells the character already knows, vaguely like Mage's spheres?

I was thinking of something more free-form than Mage's system -- like you just think up an effect, and boom, it works. Variable costs, and a roll to succeed, of course.

The Eye of Autocthon seems to have something akin to this effect, but I get the impression that it costs no essence, since mortals are able to use it.

-S

I like that, but I have this niggling idea that it would be artifact N/A.  Possibly restricting it to the list of possibilities from Bo3C for Terrestrial Circle, but even then it would need some drawback.  

Vestment of Arg Resil

Crafted from the flayed hide of a radically oriented sorceror from the First Age this garment bonds (painfully) with the wearer over a (period of some sort) ritual requiring (stuff) and (more stuff).  At the end of this ritual the wearer (who must possess Terrestrial Circle Sorcery or higher) is able to create sorcerous effects in a freeform style.  These effects are not to surpass the limitations inherent to the Terrestrial Circle of Sorcery.  (obligatory "It is rumored that a version of this artifact exists that enables the weilder to manipulate higher circles of sorcery" sentence)

I don't know about it being clothing though.  A ring would be cool, but you don't see too many artifact rings in Exalted.  I guess they're not super-anime-flashy-cool enough.  Which is a shame, because a ring similar to Thoth-Amon's would be pretty wicked.  What the Hell was it called again?

Kyrn said:
I have a hard time creating anything over level three.  Guess I'm just a Terrestrial gamer.
Look at Bridgit's mantel to get a feel for sorcery aiding and artifact level, Book of three Circles

Stillborn said:
The Eye of Autocthon seems to have something akin to this effect, but I get the impression that it costs no essence, since mortals are able to use it.
-S
I personally think that Ikerre could channel essence, and the realm's people just don't want to admit a puny mortal could do it. She could have been a god-blood or something. I mean, is that her in the chapter art with the Eye in the Storyteller's Companion? If so, well, she has horns.

That kind of artifact would very likely be NA, I mean admittedly it is not as powerful as the eye but the eye needs a shitload of essence to operate.

Right now I am a bit uncomfortable with an artifact introducing free form sorcery as I on the one hand think that regaining lost spells/power is a considerable part  of exalted and I think the mechanics of it might slow down the game at the table. This is not meant as an attack of course it just does not fit to my table.

An artifact I might be comfortable with could for example draw essence out of the air to power sourcerous effects, effectively reducing the spellcost and at the same time the artifact might increase the essence of the wielder for the purpose of spell effect calculation. Then make it a cool looking shoulderpiece and you got everything for a cool artifact.

Jukashi said:
I mean, is that her in the chapter art with the Eye in the Storyteller's Companion? If so, well, she has horns.
I think that's Random Fantasty Character, not Ikerre,

-S

A couple of good examples from our own forumites' date=' here and here.
In my mind, there aren't really any decent examples from the main books, but then gain, a level 5 artifact should be a rare prize and have a legendary history behind it, which almost eclipses the actual abilities of the item itself.

~FC.
Forn Clakes, I feel insulted you didn't mention me. :(

http://patternspider.net:8080/exalted/lore5/show.php?class=Artifact&id=51

I envision it liek this:

Level 1: An item that you don't typically ever take into account in planning a game.

Level 2: An item of power that you take notice of.

Level 3: An item that you take into consideration for planning.

Level 4: An item that you begin planning around, taking it into consideration everytime.

Level 5: An item that, if you forgot about, is going to fuck your game up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back