Help me develop the Dark Globe multi-genre setting

Eske

I've been working on this setting called Dark Globe and would like some creative input, ie. fresh ideas, new angles or complete changes.

The setting is system-independent while it's in development, but in time, it will get its own system. Take a look at this intro text and let me know if you have any neat ideas.

DARK GLOBE is a multi-genre role-playing game setting. The concept of a multi-genre setting gives the Game Master the freedom to create stories in three distinct genres - fantasy, action-horror and sci-fi.

The different genres are divided temporally, not spatially. This means that the three settings are part of the same universe, only in different eras. Events in each era consequently have an impact on the other eras, which opens for some interesting campaign ideas.

The three distinct settings share a common phenomenon; mysterious, hidden spheres with an unlimited supply of energy and metaphysical properties. The spheres are of an unknown origin. They emit energies that can change space and time; their purpose is unknown, but they seem to influence humanity by corrupting and transforming living beings into disfigured and monstrous horrors. The spheres have a much wider range of effects; feel free to suggest some.

The three settings all take place on an alternate version of Earth, where the existence of the spheres has changed history. The fantasy setting takes place around 1300 AD in Europe. The horror setting is contemporary and can take place anywhere, while the sci-fi setting takes place in the near future.

NEWS:

Now that several people have contributed with valuable ideas, I've compiled a list of the elements in Dark Globe. It will be updated as the discussion continues.

1. There are countless mysterious orbs of different sizes hidden all over the world in Dark Globe
  2. Time Causality in the 3 eras: Medieval times 1300 AD, contemporary (now) and the future (2050)
  3. Dark Globe is a multi-genre setting. The eras provide background for any genre imaginable.
  4. The orbs were created by an alien, cosmic horror (yet unnamed).
  5. The origin and purpose of the orbs are unknown to most, except the Templars and the Black Sun Cult.
  6. Orbs emit metaphysical energy with various intensity and properties based on their size.
  7. PCs can learn to use the orb energy, but at a price; they may turn into abominations themselves.
  8. The orbs corrupt everything, the human mind and body. They create monstrous, evil beings.
  9. Some people get powers from orbs, but most of them are corrupted and turn to the Black Sun cult.
  10. The orbs act as dimensional ports for the alien race that hides in their own dimension.
  11. Some orbs can be used as time portals with fixed destinations in space-time.
  12. The PC belong to the Order of the Templar Knights;their one objective is to destroy the orbs.
  13. The cult of the Black Sun worships the orbs and their masters, and opposes the Templar Knights.
  14. There is a black orb in the sky called The Black Sun; it is worshipped by the cult of the same name.

Share your ideas if you have any - they will be appreciated! Feel free to be absolutely honest about weak parts of the setting; I wouldn't post the beta-version of Dark Globe if I didn't need some hard opinions on development.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello! :}

Could you give an example of an event in one era and the impact it has on another?

Well, it depends on how the campaign is run. But if you destroy a sphere in one era, it's gone for good. You would also know where known spheres are if you travel to another era - even though it might be hidden beneath a metropolis. And there's the whole medieval warrior walking tall on Main Street in 2014, having one thought alone: cut down the afflicted. Off with their heads.

Endgame is the sphere's destruction then? It would be interesting to see the organization from all three eras coming together to get rid of a sphere.

I don't think I have anything to add or contribute to make the story better >_< - but I'd love to see it unfold.

So I'm guessing that the spheres are set in one place and cannot be moved. Because of this I'm imagining the sci-fi future setting having bases around the spheres to harvest their powers for energy to power countries. Some countries have the government control these spheres which are used to power cities, while other countries are controlled by syndicates who have control over most cities. Most of the spheres in the planet have been discovered, and used in such ways, so in order to gain even more power they have turned into space travel in search for more spheres.

I also have the idea that because looking for spheres in the present/future is not only difficult due to the vast amount of them discover, but also expensive due to the great competition, some go back in time to search for spheres in the fantasy setting since it would be much easier.

For the powers that the spheres give people, it could work in a sort of time based effect. Meaning that the more you are exposed to the spheres the greater powers you get. However, if you stay too long you will start to be disfigured and, like you said, be transformed into monsters, and if you stay too long you'll end up looking like a Lovecraftian creature. They also could be semi-luck based. So if you are lucky, you can be exposed to them for a while and only get powers, but if you are unlucky you can start growing tentacles out of your forehead immediately.

The powers from the spheres could vary for each sphere. One sphere could give you control over the elements, another one could let you become invisible, and so on. So discovering a new sphere would be a leap of fate when it comes to getting its powers. Also, the more spheres to expose yourself to, the greater the change of being deformed becomes.

Do any of these ideas sound good?

You could compare the "organisation" to the Templars' Order - if you believe that they still exist. Fleshing it out will be very interesting - from 1300AD to 2050. 
In fact, why not take the Templars and use them as the main organisation? What do you think? 

augmentedspartan said:
So I'm guessing that the spheres are set in one place and cannot be moved. Because of this I'm imagining the sci-fi future setting having bases around the spheres to harvest their powers for energy to power countries. Some countries have the government control these spheres which are used to power cities, while other countries are controlled by syndicates who have control over most cities. Most of the spheres in the planet have been discovered, and used in such ways, so in order to gain even more power they have turned into space travel in search for more spheres.
I also have the idea that because looking for spheres in the present/future is not only difficult due to the vast amount of them discover, but also expensive due to the great competition, some go back in time to search for spheres in the fantasy setting since it would be much easier.

For the powers that the spheres give people, it could work in a sort of time based effect. Meaning that the more you are exposed to the spheres the greater powers you get. However, if you stay too long you will start to be disfigured and, like you said, be transformed into monsters, and if you stay too long you'll end up looking like a Lovecraftian creature. They also could be semi-luck based. So if you are lucky, you can be exposed to them for a while and only get powers, but if you are unlucky you can start growing tentacles out of your forehead immediately.

The powers from the spheres could vary for each sphere. One sphere could give you control over the elements, another one could let you become invisible, and so on. So discovering a new sphere would be a leap of fate when it comes to getting its powers. Also, the more spheres to expose yourself to, the greater the change of being deformed becomes.

Do any of these ideas sound good?
They absolutely do!

The idea of extended exposure is great - it makes total sense and will explain a lot of things. Also, travelling back and forth in time to find spheres is also a pretty awesome idea - although I don't know how well time travel fits this setting.

One thing though: The spheres do have unlimited power, but in essence, they broadcast corruption and evil. Some countries will try to tame them, some perhaps successfully, but the main theme of the setting is for the players to destroy the spheres, since they are corrupting the human race. That's just for the players, though; the rest of the world could easily be doing what you describe: exploiting the spheres.

The future settting: I imagine as a sci-fi war setting. The spheres are connected to some great evil, but I can't find the right kind; aliens? Cthulhu-like Elder Gods?

Somebody build the spheres; but who? Suggestions? 

Xan said:
Endgame is the sphere's destruction then? It would be interesting to see the organization from all three eras coming together to get rid of a sphere.
I don't think I have anything to add or contribute to make the story better >_< - but I'd love to see it unfold.
Yes, the players are supposed to destroy the spheres - but they might change their minds, depending on the rest of the setting.

It's ok if you don't have anything specific to add, but maybe you could give me your opinion on stuff instead? How about having the organisation be the Templars, a real order, very powerful and associated with religion and the supernatural?

Also, who would you like to see as the villains who built the spheres? A humanoid race from Thau Ceti? Great Elder Gods who've slept at the buttom of the seas, waiting for their time? or maybe something like War of the Worlds, where the spheres construct machines to "farm" people?

I think time travel needs to play a big part in the story. In fact, for the story to hold together, I think the future organization's immediate goal (first campaign perhaps?), is to find a way to travel to the past. Having a portal open where one can go back and forth lessens the tension and sort of waters down the story. What's to stop the future from pouring into the past and just destroying the spheres? They'd have more information on them by then, and probably has amassed enough firepower and manpower to destroy (or control) the spheres.

Still thinking :}

Eske said:
The idea of extended exposure is great - it makes total sense and will explain a lot of things. Also, travelling back and forth in time to find spheres is also a pretty awesome idea - although I don't know how well time travel fits this setting.
Maybe time travel is something really hard to achieve. In the fantasy setting, it would happen extremely rarely in the fantasy and present setting. For fantasy if a sphere is used too much, it could glitch or something and send someone into a random time. The present has more control over them, but it still not an exact science, so sending someone is doable, but still complicated. Meanwhile, the future knows what they are doing, so for them sending people back and forth is rather common.

I do agree with Xan, time travel seems important for this setting. Maybe not the main part, but a big part of the story.

Eske said:
One thing though: The spheres do have unlimited power, but in essence, they broadcast corruption and evil. Some countries will try to tame them, some perhaps successfully, but the main theme of the setting is for the players to destroy the spheres, since they are corrupting the human race. That's just for the players, though; the rest of the world could easily be doing what you describe: exploiting the spheres.
Well, in that case, the fact that some countries use them as a source of power means that they become corrupted. While the more developed countries could hold the corruption at bay, the less developed ones only have the more rudimental use of them, which could drive the country into anarchy and chaos. Also, very much like the powers, the corruption is also timed based. So the more powers one gets, the more corrupted one becomes. So the good guys could have weak/simple powers and look human, while the evil corrupted ones have much stronger powers and look deformed.

Eske said:
The future settting: I imagine as a sci-fi war setting. The spheres are connected to some great evil, but I can't find the right kind; aliens? Cthulhu-like Elder Gods?
Somebody build the spheres; but who? Suggestions?
Oh, Lovecraftian Eldritch Abominations for sure. Not physically like Cthulhu, but more like Azathoth or Shub-Niggurath, completely deformed and masses of limbs and tentacles and other such things. I'm thinking that these ugly deformed beasts sent those spheres throughout the galaxy to get more into their ranks. With enough exposure, living creatures would become as powerful, evil, and deformed as these beasts. I also have the idea that after aeons the planet itself would become a huge Eldritch Abomination itself (think of the necromorph moon from dead space 3). So the spheres were spread out by these beings to turn everyone into one of them and take control over the universe.

On a side note, the physical corruption could semi-random, so that even if you are exposed to the same amount of power as someone else, you could look completely different. You could be a walking mass of arms or tentacles, while another could have eyes all over him.

augmentedspartan said:
Maybe time travel is something really hard to achieve. In the fantasy setting, it would happen extremely rarely in the fantasy and present setting. For fantasy if a sphere is used too much, it could glitch or something and send someone into a random time. The present has more control over them, but it still not an exact science, so sending someone is doable, but still complicated. Meanwhile, the future knows what they are doing, so for them sending people back and forth is rather common.
I do agree with Xan, time travel seems important for this setting. Maybe not the main part, but a big part of the story.

Well, in that case, the fact that some countries use them as a source of power means that they become corrupted. While the more developed countries could hold the corruption at bay, the less developed ones only have the more rudimental use of them, which could drive the country into anarchy and chaos. Also, very much like the powers, the corruption is also timed based. So the more powers one gets, the more corrupted one becomes. So the good guys could have weak/simple powers and look human, while the evil corrupted ones have much stronger powers and look deformed.

Oh, Lovecraftian Eldritch Abominations for sure. Not physically like Cthulhu, but more like Azathoth or Shub-Niggurath, completely deformed and masses of limbs and tentacles and other such things. I'm thinking that these ugly deformed beasts sent those spheres throughout the galaxy to get more into their ranks. With enough exposure, living creatures would become as powerful, evil, and deformed as these beasts. I also have the idea that after aeons the planet itself would become a huge Eldritch Abomination itself (think of the necromorph moon from dead space 3). So the spheres were spread out by these beings to turn everyone into one of them and take control over the universe.

On a side note, the physical corruption could semi-random, so that even if you are exposed to the same amount of power as someone else, you could look completely different. You could be a walking mass of arms or tentacles, while another could have eyes all over him.
Good ideas!

Yes, the countries would become corrupted; I foresee a global conflict where corrupted countries (full of monsters and transformed peope) lose control after using the sphere and attacks everyone in sight that isn't corrupted.

This is a good idea, I think! Global warfare - good vs. bad.

And yes, the effects of the spheres should definitely vary; some turn into deformed giant demon-like monsters, while others turn into people with mental abilities or other skills.

I'm taking your idea about the creatures who build the spheres to create more; it's great. The spheres are weapons of hitherto unknown type; when humankind realises what they do, it's too late....almost!

Would this mean then that the three eras are in a time of war? And I don't mean civil unrest here and there - I mean full-scale epic battles. Because that's what it's sounding like with abominations walking the earth.

I like @augmentedspartan 's idea about a sphere 'glitching' and sending someone to another time period. It's a huge plot development tool. For example, in the future, the human race could be fighting a losing battle against the monsters, and maybe a person (who happens to be the last surviving member of the Organization) gets sent to the past by accident.

The past now knows that the evil persists in the future and if nothing is done, humanity will soon go extinct. They can learn as much as they can from the 'future person' (who conveniently dies before revealing everything) - so now the 'present organization' will have records that carry on to the future organization.

And yes, time travel should be hard. I don't know about it being common, even in the future. You risk altering all 3 eras with even one little change.

Time to talk about who the players will play....Take a look, @Xan.

The contemporary Dark Globe setting unfolds in a world where darkness and corruption reigns. The stories are set in fictional cities where the players are member of the Order of the Templars, an organisation with an objective; to clean the cities of the people who have been influenced by the supernatural corruption that grows every day.

The Order is connected to most things in the city. It knows what happens within the city borders. The Order seeks out corrupted individuals and either pacify or eliminate them.

The player characters are part of the League’s Legion, units of people with specific skill sets that put them apart from normal people. They are trained to deescalate the chaos that the spheres in the city causes. They are all unique in their own way, and they all have specific roles they must fill.

Units have different specialities. Some are pure combat-based, while others have investigators, profilers and psychiatrists. Depending on which roles the players choose, their unit will be asked to perform appropriate tasks. Sometimes things go wrong so fast that units are ordered to deal with situations they are not prepared for; but the member of the League are devoted to the cause, and sees all-out war as the only solution.

The spheres provide the metaphysical and magical aspects of the fantasy setting. Wizards derive their magical energy from the spheres. The belief is that magical entities built the spheres for religious reasons. This gives rise to the marriage of true magic and religion.

A great catastrophe in the 1400s deactivates and hides the spheres from human touch, but the 100 years of interaction with the spheres has created a cultural history unlike our own. The texts from this period provide the research field of the horror genre setting.

The horror setting portrays a contemporary world, where the hidden spheres begin to corrupt and destroy human civilization through terror and chaos. The spheres have been lost since the 1400s, but the discovery and activation of a single sphere triggers a series of consequences and unleash chaotic horror upon the modern world. Spheres are either operating on their own, or they are used for evil by cults and power-hungry maniacs. Corporations are interested due to the value of the sphere’s powers. Stories revolve around finding the necessary information to stop the evil that leaks from the spheres. You can play the setting any way you want; psychological horror, action-horror, investigative horror or a mix of those.

The sci-fi setting continues this line of ideas, but introduces an alien race, the antagonists of the setting and throws a future Earth into a struggle against an enemy with superior weapons and understanding of the universe. Humanity has learned how to harvest the energy of the spheres, and even replicating them in other forms usable as power sources and a way to travel the stars. The spheres transcend dimensions and bends space as needed.

Soon after humanity learned to harvest the power of the Spheres, the ripple effect of the spheres attracted the enemy and other more terrifying, barbaric races. Earth became a target for these aliens 
PCs have the ability to draw energy from spheres which helps them defeat their enemies. The ability must be trained, and slowly the PC becomes stronger and stronger ... but with the constant risk of full contamination and a transformation into something truly horrible.

It's important that the PCs have interesting abilities - I think this fits the bill :)

That sounds like a good idea. Each setting being played different and with a different story that still connect with each other. Would the main characters be the same throughout the entirety of the RP, or would there be different characters for each setting?

augmentedspartan said:
That sounds like a good idea. Each setting being played different and with a different story that still connect with each other. Would the main characters be the same throughout the entirety of the RP, or would there be different characters for each setting?
Both options are viable. The main campaign would have descendants of the fantasy era as PCs in the contemporary and future era. But PCs can also travel through time so you play the same PC all the way through 3 eras (unless it breaks the game somehow?)

I think it should be open regarding which era players want to start in; as long as they are all welldefined, and that the appropriate locks against breaking are in place, people can play any era and not think about the other ones.

I think it would work depending on the rules you set for time traveling. How do you travel back and forth? Who's allowed? Is there a device involved? Is it the sphere? Is time travel an acquired ability? Is there a trade off?

Eske said:
Both options are viable. The main campaign would have descendants of the fantasy era as PCs in the contemporary and future era. But PCs can also travel through time so you play the same PC all the way through 3 eras (unless it breaks the game somehow?)
I think it should be open regarding which era players want to start in; as long as they are all welldefined, and that the appropriate locks against breaking are in place, people can play any era and not think about the other ones.
That is a really awesome idea.

Xan said:
I think it would work depending on the rules you set for time traveling. How do you travel back and forth? Who's allowed? Is there a device involved? Is it the sphere? Is time travel an acquired ability? Is there a trade off?
Well the spheres would be the main reason why time travel is possible. It could be from glitches, or from the sci-fi setting in which they have some control over them. Probably a machine used to use the power from the spheres to travel. I'm guessing anyone could travel, if you are unlucky enough to get caught in a glitch, or if you are sent from the future. It could also be acquired by someone, who could either be able to control it, or be randomly teleported throughout the eras. While in the fantasy and current setting it would be rather random change that you travel, in the future it would be more selective and common.

Xan said:
You are smashing the ball out of the park. Most important queestions...

The players are allowed to travel WHEN they have achieved a level of sphere power that is enough for them to cross time through the spheres. That means they become very close to being turned.

Tradeoff: oneway trip? Back and forth very hard? Perhaps more sphere power needed? Maybe you lose all your sphere powers when you travel through time? 
If we finish this setting, you guys are getting credits for helping out :) I really think it could be something special.

I tend to ask a lot of questions :}

If a jump in time requires considerable power ("they become very close to being turned" - I like that. Believable.)

then a one way trip is a good.

Or - to give players a choice and make it more interesting - you can jump twice. One jump lands you in a different era. A jump back means you get turned. And hey, people might have reasons for wanting to go back in their own time (even though death awaits them).

Eske said:
If we finish this setting, you guys are getting credits for helping out :) I really think it could be something special.
Glad I could help. This is one really cool idea you started up with.

Xan said:
If a jump in time requires considerable power ("they become very close to being turned" - I like that. Believable.)

Or - to give players a choice and make it more interesting - you can jump twice. One jump lands you in a different era. A jump back means you get turned. And hey, people might have reasons for wanting to go back in their own time (even though death awaits them).
What if instead of a set number, its by luck? Very much like getting powers or turning, you could either be lucky and be able to do 3 consecutive jumps and have little to no change, or be unlucky and get changed as soon as you jump for the first time. So let's say they make a jump to the future, but they need to go back because of reasons. Then you have a gamble. You can risk it, and jump, or you could stay. Maybe the less you are exposed to the spheres, the less chance you'll turn in the first few jumps.

augmentedspartan said:
Glad I could help. This is one really cool idea you started up with.
What if instead of a set number, its by luck? Very much like getting powers or turning, you could either be lucky and be able to do 3 consecutive jumps and have little to no change, or be unlucky and get changed as soon as you jump for the first time. So let's say they make a jump to the future, but they need to go back because of reasons. Then you have a gamble. You can risk it, and jump, or you could stay. Maybe the less you are exposed to the spheres, the less chance you'll turn in the first few jumps.
I've actually developed a mechanic that is perfect for this. Let's say a player has a high sphere power and tries to time travel, he makes a skill roll (or similar roll). If he fails, he can choose to either be lost in the void, be turned or the GM can offer a success, but at a price: deformations, mind deterioration, handicaps, etc. How high this price should be is up for discussion.

I like that risk.

Though if you're less exposed, you're less likely to travel in time (from what I understood). 
Ohh perfect. Dice rolls to determine luck! :D

Xan said:

You ask the right questions - that's the important thing.

I agree, the more you jump, the worse the consequences, See my post above for a suggestion.

Eske said:
I've actually developed a mechanic that is perfect for this. Let's say a player has a high sphere power and tries to time travel, he makes a skill roll (or similar roll). If he fails, he can choose to either be lost in the void, be turned or the GM can offer a success, but at a price: deformations, mind deterioration, handicaps, etc. How high this price should be is up for discussion.
Oh, that is perfect. By the way, when you mean turned, do you mean into the Eldritch Abomination itself, or just beyond human. Because I have the idea that when the transformation is complete, you would have a huge Lovecraftian looking beast that is composed of millions of humans fused together.

Are the eras happening simultaneously or do you plan on proceeding in a more linear fashion?

Xan said:
I like that risk.
Though if you're less exposed, you're less likely to travel in time (from what I understood). 
Ohh perfect. Dice rolls to determine luck! :D
If by less exposed you mean far from being turned (and thus not very powerful), then I think yes. The PCs should only make jumps when they're ready - when they have found their mission in the future. It could be destroying spheres - or kill someone who has a catastrophic impact on later eras.

So the players have to travel the lands of Europe with the Order and destroy evil (totally different from the real Europe) until they are strong enough to travel in time.

Does that work? 

augmentedspartan said:
Oh, that is perfect. By the way, when you mean turned, do you mean into the Eldritch Abomination itself, or just beyond human. Because I have the idea that when the transformation is complete, you would have a huge Lovecraftian looking beast that is composed of millions of humans fused together.
I'm not sure - I agree that when total transformation takes place, something truly terrible emerges....like you described. But perhaps PCs can be turned against their group but still be saved if they are fast enough? 

Xan said:
Are the eras happening simultaneously or do you plan on proceeding in a more linear fashion?
Good question! I think we should strive to keep the group in one era at a time. Maybe they need the combined power of the group to travel in time?

Changes in the timeline should be immediate. If the PCs go back in time and destroys a village that would have turned into Paris in the current era, Paris is gone.

This goes for the villains too; if they see an option to destroy something, like an Order stronghold by going back in time, they can do so. The players should get the chance to save it though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back