Heavy Metal: A Mecha Game For Mecha Fans

lordofthestorm said:
I know there's a handful of people who were curious about or saw/worked with my alpha build of Heavy Metal, a mecha RPG based on the anime crossover game Super Robot Wars.
Well, since then, I've finally have a tentatively completed idea of character design, and I'm looking for feedback. The link is below.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HF2NLjQYvedmS-8DgoLfYc81GUHVp8emdjGRVRUpVA0/edit?usp=sharing
I like it, but i'm not really one to judge mechanics and stuff though.

Is this the same system you used for that game before? Forgive me for forgetting, it was a fun idea. I liked the system, and this looks close to it. But like all things. I'm a poor person who can't see how things interact until I see them in work.

You know I'd be interested in playtesting this at any Point...

And if it's super Robot War's, I'd be very interested....

That said- like these two, I'm bad at Analyzing Mechanics before trying them out.

Myllinnia said:
Is this the same system you used for that game before? Forgive me for forgetting, it was a fun idea. I liked the system, and this looks close to it. But like all things. I'm a poor person who can't see how things interact until I see them in work.
Yes it is, actually. I was kind of unimpressed with the Nature system so I decided to revamp the system to include something more original, so Nature is gone and I replaced it with the Pillar system.

Yeah... the Pillar system. IE:

Charachter: Kamina

Core: Raw, Pure, Manliness

Positive: Ludicrously Brave

Negative: Does not believe in the Phrase, "Unwinnable battle"

It actually might look more like this... [Core] (Elements)

(Cape) - - - - - (Father's cape)

(Sunglasses)

[Raw Pure Manliness]

Positive: Kamina is the bravest soul you'll ever meet. Attempts at scaring him are usually met with cockiness and will fail most of the time.

Negative: Kamina tends to be bull-headed. He will not run from any battle, even if he would be getting his ass kicked pillar-to-post.

Theoretically, this would allow the player to tap into either side of his personality during play and give him bonuses/increase his Will, while the GM could use the info to inflict penalties. It's kinda based on Lady Blackbird and its Key system in that regard.

Because I'm basing this off of Super Robot Wars, I'm basically using this as a means to make a road map for GM characters, in particular established characters from other series.

I know it's technically not a thing GMs would prefer to do, but it wouldn't feel like a Super Robot Wars game if you couldn't put in other characters. Besides, who cares about changing characters or plots? SRW does that all the time, and many times for the better.

....Spinzaku and Lelouch. Sorry, what? Er.. Suzaku, sorry. Everyone call's him Spinzaku.. because.. uh...

[media]

[/media]
Well, clearly from your profile pic you know exactly who I'm talking about.

Yeah. Sorry, you mentioned Charachters from other series, and Mecha, and my mind just..

From what I can tell, there's passing interest in the game. What I'm lacking right now is to put it through some worthwhile Q and A testing.

There was a game that I was running with the system here on the site, it just fell apart after couple of weeks (Myllinia was a part of that game). However, I have an idea to run with something a bit more simple...well, more simple than I was attempting. Because the original Super Robot Wars FD was, in my mind, going to be a full-fledged Super Robot Wars-style game. But that's too ambitious for an untested system.

So I'm going to change tack and try and run something a bit simpler with the system to put it through its paces, assuming people are willing to bear with me.

Three words: Gundam Build Fighters.

I finally managed to catch up with Gundam Build Fighters after the holidays, so I decided to get back into it and I felt that that was a great opportunity to use that as a jumping off point for Heavy Metal. One franchise, but a whole world to base the game on and explore other ideas that were offered by the original OVAs that helped to bring it about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back