Handling "less skilled" Roleplayers

AAndroidD

Analogue Android Dream means Sheep
This is an issue that has been nagging at the back of my head since I first began role playing, but I feel it's at a point where I really need to raise some issues that impact my role playing experience.

When I say "less skilled" I don't, in any way, refer to writing ability. I refer to players that seem to not proofread their posts and end up with sentences that are either confusing or conflict with other info in the same post. I refer to Roleplayers who give minimal consideration to the setting and "take a few steps" across an entire room. I refer to players who ignore parts of the post they are replying to, leaving their fellow RPers feeling left behind and helpless to impact the one in question.

Unfortunately, this kind of roleplayer is all too common, and I don't wish to police Roleplayers' right to enjoy taking part in these wonderful worlds. However, I'm at a loss of how to deal with repeat offenders, who receive complaints or constructive criticism then continue along without changing what they do.

The work required to get around this type of player is high, to adapt to their nigh uninfluencable character saps the fun from RPing heavily for me.

All that said, what exactly is there to be done about this? It's not right to punish them, nor is it right to boot them from an RP in my eyes, however as I've established, the type of player I've mentioned rarely improves from others' feedback. Which leaves us at a point where it seems absolutely nothing can be done, save abandoning the RP and hoping not to encounter that kind of player in your next.

Does anyone have any idea of how to handle this kind of player, whether it be from a GM or an RPers perspective?

I don't know; refusing to respond to requests and criticism, while continuing to create more trouble for everyone else, seems like grounds to be kicked.

Then again, I stick to very structured roleplays where ignoring things like setting detail will get a character killed or maimed.

In the perspective of someone who is just another member in someone else's roleplay, I let the GM decide. It is their roleplay, after all, so it all boils down to their rules.

Personally, if I were the GM, and they were not meeting the needs of the roleplay, then I would politely ask them to leave. No one should ever take that kind of request in any personal manner. Everyone has their preferences. Everyone is trying to find their niche and their flow. It's just how it works. You should never have to "punish" someone for their roleplaying skills, especially on here.

If you are the GM, and you do not feel it is necessary to remove someone from a roleplay in this situation, then my only suggestion is to keep trying to point them in the right direction.

If you are not the GM, then I wouldn't stress about it. The owner of the roleplay will do what they feel is best. ( :) )

I'm new (or... returning, actually) to forum RP, so my experience elsewhere might not translate perfectly, asking somebody to leave an rp was just not an option where I got most my rp.

My usual approach is to sort of ignore the character. Ignoring them all the way is childish, and you may as well ask them to leave at that point anyway, but that doesn't mean you need to make interacting with them your focus. As you say, the extra effort needed to interact with such a player is huge, it's not unreasonable that you'd be less inclined to interact with them in the first place. Unless your characters are all in the same place at the same time, you are often (in character) directly seeking out other people to talk with. Just... don't seek out theirs. This leaves them two options to keep playing. Either they can put in the extra effort to find, follow, and engage the other characters or they do something interesting enough and thought-out enough on their own that it warrants tracking them down yourself. Or they can leave, I suppose.

That said, I agree with Grey. If they are refusing to listen to warnings and criticism, that seems like plenty of reason to ask them to leave. The whole point of this is to have fun, in the end. If one person is making it unfun for the rest of the group, they have to go.

When it comes to this sort of thing, the issue can be quite complex. I think it is all about perspective. They may be on the younger scale, or could in fact not take RP as seriously as we do. However, who are we to say we are the best at roleplay? I personally think one can learn from anyone one thing to improve on. Consider it a recycling of ideas: person A lacks trait B, and person B lacks trait A. Why can't A teach person B trait A and vice versa?

Also, I think we ought to be less of "right and wrong" or "correct or incorrect", but we should be more coach-like for the less experienced. We are all unique, but all it takes is a bit of teaching of fundamentals to really see how people are. My old community was centered around standards. You character MUST be this, your edits MUST be in black and white. There were no admins, but the people who controlled the site were ruthless to others. They would constantly shame and embarrass those who didn't have good grammar, or good edits. They also'd use the typical "I'm older than you" argument on people.

I do primarily 1x1 roleplays and I have learned through trial and error to just be upfront with people.

If I see an issue in their post or character that is contradictory to previous information they’ve given to me. Or if I see that they’re character is having trouble keeping the story going I will say something.

In the case of the contradictory information I will point out the specific issues I see. In the case of posts I’ll offer suggestions or ideas on how their character could react.

I will never indicate that I think they are BAD or WRONG just that there are some issues I see and this is why they concern me.

It’s pretty straightforward and simple.

Now this really only works in 1x1s and when your not affraid to offend someone.

I’ve gotten to the point where I’d rather risk hurting your feelings than try to roleplay with someone whose posts I can’t understand. Or whose character is all over the place and doesn’t fit the plot.

But that’s just me and I know there are plenty of people who prefer softer approaches.

But still as I tell my partners all the time : I can’t fix a problem I don’t know about.

So if you have an issue with someone it’s always better just to let them know because otherwise how are they meant to change it or explain themselves?

One issue I have in 1x1 roleplays is when the other person completely takes control of the storyline. I feel like it sort of kills my creativity because they will have a problem with any curve I may throw at them because they 'already know the plot'.

Another thing is one-liners. If it's a casual roleplay no problem, but if I dole out a paragraph or more I expect at least a few sentences if not more. I feel like that kills the RP really quickly.

Lastly hodmodding my character. I like to be given a chance to react. I'm not too picky about little things but it's the big guns, like a crucial emotional moment or a fight sequence where I feel like I need the freedom and time to react.

What if this were a physical sport instead of roleplaying? If you had a player who couldn't kick the ball very far, or ran in the wrong direction, or didn't show up on time or in uniform, what would you do? First you'd try to bring them up to speed, solve the behavior. If you couldn't -- then you'd politely drop them from the team. If they were doing everything correctly but not doing it well, then you might send them to another team for players of their skill level.

I don't see anything wrong with advanced players wanting to play on a particular level. But I'd try to be gentle with them; they might not be playing on your level, but that's still a person. On the mud that I admin we have players from all parts of the globe and for some of them English is a second language, so we tend to give them a pass on minor linguistic issues.

Maybe a lot of this could be handled by a RP ranking system to keep roleplayers of similar skill together. But I'd hope there would be possibilities for medium-level roleplayers to cut their teeth in the 'big leagues' and maybe get some more experience. That's where a skillful DM would come into play -- don't give the key roles to the players that are less skilled. Give those players roles where a stumble or two won't harm the overall story.

@Krogenar there actually is a ranking system INFO - Prefixes List (Updated)

It's in all the different genre forums.

But I do agree sometimes you just have to accept your moving g at different levels.

It's easier in groups because they either use the prefixes or they have requirements in the rules for posting.

But 1x1s can be trickier cuz you don't always,know what someone's level will be before you start roleplaying.

Either way I did as I stated previously I politely point out any issues I have. If things get too bad I just say I don't feel I am a good match for them and leave.

It's important nit to make it their fault instead take the blame for yourself.

If I'm the GM I lay out the rules and expectations very clearly. Most of the problems I've had to deal with have revolved around autohitting/ mild powerplaying without permission (or at least without permission that I could see. I had some RPers PMing each other permission and it's like... yo guys I need to be aware of this xD ) which just consists of me going "do not touch another player's character without permission, please edit this line" yada yada. Although autohitting may be more accepted on these forums, haven't been able to tell yet! Tbh I haven't had to deal with inexperienced folk in a while, but especially as a GM I'm very upfront if somebody isn't obeying the rules. Historically... Years ago I can remember playing with somebody whose character was the typical "I'm a young newbie" special emotional snowflake that changed locations and read minds and all of this stuff and I just completed ignored them. Never interacted. Nowadays I'd probably tell them off.. xD

As a new player (to forum RP) I'm really glad to have this thread to refer to both to get an idea of how to be a model player and with ideas to use in case I decide to DM something. Great strategies in here guys, thanks! :)

I know what you mean. All too often, I've had entire messages of mine ignored, so the person could do whatever they want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back