• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Fantasy Gods Below (an OC setting)

Nichomedes

Expert in Existential Crises
Hello. My name is Lucifer du Matin. Let me take you on a journey.

We find ourselves heading to the great City of Algiers, seat of the all powerful Triumvirate. Gods that live amongst us small, mortal men. You may have heard of them: Piraeus, the Sun. Io, the Moon. And Selemb, god of Earth. While there are many such gods living amongst men in various places throughout the world, all with their unique elements and powers, we believe our gods to be the greatest and most benevolent of them all.

Perhaps you have no gods where you hail from. Perhaps you do. While I don't hold this against you, we do request that you forget the ways and religions (or lack thereof) of your old home and adapt to the way we do things here. It will ease your transition to your new life. Though it's not quite illegal to have your own belief system, it does not reflect well on you to be indifferent of the great gifts and protection of the Triumvirate.

You may have heard of the great wall bordering the lands of our city, raised by Selemb Themself, protecting Algerian citizens from the threats beyond our home. Raiders, strange beasts, wild gods, and manastorms constantly ripping through the unsettled landscapes of the Maghreb region.

And please, pay no mind to the rumors of so-called "magic" artifacts. Despite old myths, there is no such thing as a mage, wizard, or sorcerer. And ignore Ambassador Durante asking what the gods really are. He just likes to stir things up.

Greetings. This is a long term, 1x1 DM'd setting in an original universe. Yes, Algiers is a real place. Is this future Earth? Past Earth? Alternate Earth? Who knows. But it's neat, right?

There is an entire story arc planned, but what actually happens depends on how you, the player, responds to the circumstances of the world. It will start relatively straight forward in the uncomfortably "utopian" dystopia that is Algiers, but it will get progressively weirder. You'll learn not only about the world, but yourself as well.

There are only a few rules I'd like to lay down:
  • Your character must be original and designed for this specific setting. You can use ideas inspired by your other OCs, but to avoid complicating the setting with conflicting lore and unexpected abilities, I'd prefer characters that fit THIS setting.
  • Your character must either be human or at least THINK they are human.
    • You may still possess unique and mysterious abilities, as long as it's not too overpowered.
  • Your character is not native to the City of Algiers. You can decide what type of setting they're from originally, or I can make one up if you like.
  • Though you'll start with one character, you can add more as the story dictates. However, you can only control your own characters, not mine.
  • I prefer an open dialogue so we can discuss story ideas and directions. I write better with someone with whom I can establish a friendship. If we don't vibe, we'll have trouble being in sync!
If interested, you may contact me through this site or on discord at .jollyfish.

Time to discover what the gods truly are.

Last edited:
Hello! I have a question. When you say it is a DMed setting, do you mean that the roleplay will be taking place in DMs or that you will be a DM and main authority over the world while the other person is a player within that world? I'm assuming the latter from how this is written, and I'm intrigued, but I want to make sure I'm correct.

Hello! I have a question. When you say it is a DMed setting, do you mean that the roleplay will be taking place in DMs or that you will be a DM and main authority over the world while the other person is a player within that world? I'm assuming the latter from how this is written, and I'm intrigued, but I want to make sure I'm correct.

Hey, excellent question.

For clarity I do mean DM as Dungeon Master, or at least a ramshackle version thereof. "Main authority" may be an appropriate description, but I flinch at the word because I don't want to imply that I have ultimate control over everything. It is not my intention to dictate the story, but to provide narration around the player as the main character.

I have a specific story arc planned, laden with enemies, allies, plot twists, surprises, and secrets. HOWEVER, that does not mean the player has no say in the world. The player character will have his or her own history, motivations, faults, and strengths that will duly affect the course of the story as well as the outcome. The player may also introduce multiple characters, if so desired, and introduce elements that may dramatically shift the intended plotline.

Any ideas you have about a character that you're unsure about, I'm happy to discuss and ideally relate them to the main story line to make it personally relevant to your character's development.

While I have a general direction in mind, I intend this to be a tandem effort. My characters aren't necessarily NPCs. They could be forgettable, they could be love interests, they could be best friends. Maybe you hate your character and we can kill them off and start over with a different one. I'm up for anything within the parameters of the setting.

Also, it can be written in a public thread or DMed, depending on your preference.

I see! That is what I thought. Would an LGBTQ+ character be alright? I am myself, so it is what I would prefer to write as.

I see! That is what I thought. Would an LGBTQ+ character be alright? I am myself, so it is what I would prefer to write as.
Of course it would be alright. In my opinion that's just a normal character. If you'd like we can discuss it more over discord!

I actually intended for the sun and moon gods to be male/female with the earth being genderless.

I would prefer to discuss here if that's alright :]

Of course! We can do so. I'm about to go on a two day trip so I may drop off the face of the earth until Monday, fair warning. You wanna take it to DMs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back