GM Section

You know, I have never GM'ed a game before and I'm just now starting to dabble in dice (thanks to you and Thorn Darkblade). That said, I'm not the most knowledgeable person on the subject, but here were several questions I had while reading through your document. Most of my suggestions are pretty small, as I was kind of grasping for straws.

1. Page 3: Crossed fingers -- Is this an action players should do as well when they intend to speak out of character? You mention it only from the standpoint of the GM, but should they recognise crossed-fingers from other players?
  2. Page 5: 1st paragraph -- I was surprised to see the mention of a practice scenario. I think it' a great idea, but I feel it should have been mentioned earlier in the chapter, perhaps even in the opening paragraph. "This chapter will explain the basics of running a game, and offer tips, extra rules, and other resources to improve your game. ... blah, blah, blah and will include a sample scenario, The Longest Night." Okay, so that's terribly written, but for some mid-level GMs, they may get more out of skipping the introductory material you've written and skipping straight to the sample scenario. That said, I would be concerned it may be missed if it's not introduced until page 5.
  3. Page 5: Setting, Tone, Theme in Crucible 2nd paragraph -- I was so pleased to see this paragraph. I've seen too many characters who are evil "just 'cause" or good "just 'cause." I like the word motive, but I would have loved to see the word goal here, too, as a goal is what creates motives. What you listed as examples, I believe, encompass a goal and a motive. I believe that many people have a skewed idea of what a motive truly is, as the only time we really see the word motive is in the news when a killer has a "motive" for killing someone. That said, I've seen too many people confuse motive for something innately evil all the time. Goals, however, are more benign to most people. I feel like they are more willing to accept the word "goal" as being evil, good, happy, sad, big, and small than the word motive alone.
  4. General: Monster of the week - Luckily, I happen to know what a monster of the week story arc is; however, you mention it a number of times without properly describing it. I would add a few lines about what monster of the week actually entails.
    I really wish I could offer more in the way of suggestions, but I thought it was very clearly written, concise, and informative without being dry. I, personally, got a lot out of it and while I have no intentions of GM'ing a game anytime soon, I was still able to learn from it from a player standpoint. I do hope you plan on posting additional chapters in the future. As always, thank you for your great contributions, Grey.

Mordecai said:
Page 3: Crossed fingers -- Is this an action players should do as well when they intend to speak out of character? You mention it only from the standpoint of the GM, but should they recognise crossed-fingers from other players?
They should. Thank you for that - I mistakenly assumed it went without saying, which is the kind of mistake familiarity can breed and makes feedback from every experience level valuable.

Mordecai said:
Page 5: 1st paragraph -- I was surprised to see the mention of a practice scenario. I think it' a great idea, but I feel it should have been mentioned earlier in the chapter, perhaps even in the opening paragraph. "This chapter will explain the basics of running a game, and offer tips, extra rules, and other resources to improve your game. ... blah, blah, blah and will include a sample scenario, The Longest Night." Okay, so that's terribly written, but for some mid-level GMs, they may get more out of skipping the introductory material you've written and skipping straight to the sample scenario. That said, I would be concerned it may be missed if it's not introduced until page 5.
Reasonable point. May edit it into the beginning of the section somewhere.

Mordecai said:
Page 5: Setting, Tone, Theme in Crucible 2nd paragraph -- I was so pleased to see this paragraph. I've seen too many characters who are evil "just 'cause" or good "just 'cause." I like the word motive, but I would have loved to see the word goal here, too, as a goal is what creates motives. What you listed as examples, I believe, encompass a goal and a motive. I believe that many people have a skewed idea of what a motive truly is, as the only time we really see the word motive is in the news when a killer has a "motive" for killing someone. That said, I've seen too many people confuse motive for something innately evil all the time. Goals, however, are more benign to most people. I feel like they are more willing to accept the word "goal" as being evil, good, happy, sad, big, and small than the word motive alone.
]
Interesting point. I'll consider it.

Mordecai said:
General: Monster of the week - Luckily, I happen to know what a monster of the week story arc is; however, you mention it a number of times without properly describing it. I would add a few lines about what monster of the week actually entails.
Well, that's my age showing. Thankfully this is the kind of detail I was planning to correct in the final draft.

Thanks a lot, Mordecai. Glad you're enjoying it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back