Glorious Solar Saber and Fire Dragon Style

Gtroc

Hi all, it has been a while since I posted last(been playing other games). I am moving back into running a game of exalted for some friends of mine and a question has come up that I need some outside input on. if you use Glorious Solar Saber to create the two weapons, would they(could they) count as short swords for the purposes of Fire Dragon Style's form weapons? my first instinct is to say yes, but I would like other opinions before I state that as a firm yes. thank you very much, in advance, for your input.

Do you use Glorious Solar Saber to create two short swords? Then, sure. As long as it's the right kind of weapon, it's fine. Similarly, it could be used to create style weapons and be wielded with other Martial Arts styles, if that's what form of weapon you designed with it.

But would you need to repurchase the Charm for each type of weapon?

I'd say yes.

That, and two weapons means using the Charm twice, since it's only good for one weapon per use.

But would you need to repurchase the Charm for each type of weapon?
I'd say yes.

That, and two weapons means using the Charm twice, since it's only good for one weapon per use.
You can summon dual swords with one use of the Charm, which is what the OP is talking about.

you would need to design your GSS to fit the martial art, this may mean wanting to take the charm multiple times if you have multiple forms and want to emulate different weapons.

Edward

thank you all, that was the direction I was leaning toward as well. the only thing that concerns me about it is the infinite rate. with a high enough martial arts pool, and the special ability given by fire dragon style, one could get a ridiculous number of attacks per flurry. also what is the deal with the immaculate dragon styles and their form weapons? no other martial art I am aware of(maybe the crimson pentacle blade thingy) gives you special abilities for the form weapons, not even righteous devil which cannot be used without the form weapon. any ideas why this disparity? thanks again.

It was designed to do exactly just that... the sids knew what they were doing...

thank you all, that was the direction I was leaning toward as well. the only thing that concerns me about it is the infinite rate. with a high enough martial arts pool, and the special ability given by fire dragon style, one could get a ridiculous number of attacks per flurry. also what is the deal with the immaculate dragon styles and their form weapons? no other martial art I am aware of(maybe the crimson pentacle blade thingy) gives you special abilities for the form weapons, not even righteous devil which cannot be used without the form weapon. any ideas why this disparity? thanks again.
I'd do like 1st ed did, and 2nd ed is unclear about. The form weapon bonuses only work for DB's.

I'd give GSS a non-infinite rate and incorporate the DB style's weapon bonus into a charm and stick it into the tree somewhere (I put them all at the very beginning as permanent charms). Then give Immaculate DB char-gen 1 more charm (6 vs. secular 7).

Powers that aren't a) charms or b) intrinsic to exaltations or c) artifacts don't make much sense to me in the Exalted setting.

My 2c.

Tikor said:
I'd give GSS a non-infinite rate and incorporate the DB style's weapon bonus into a charm and stick it into the tree somewhere (I put them all at the very beginning as permanent charms). Then give Immaculate DB char-gen 1 more charm (6 vs. secular 7).
Powers that aren't a) charms or b) intrinsic to exaltations or c) artifacts don't make much sense to me in the Exalted setting.

My 2c.
why is that? altering glorious solar saber due to one theoretical break(and to be honest it isn't all that broken when dealing with essence users), seems a bit extreme. as for incorporating the style bonus into a charm, I could see a solar coming up with a scene long charm that does something along those lines. however I do not think that one should change the nature of a martial art simply due to a potential abuse. so I would like to know your logic behind that statement. I may not be right, it has happened before, so I would very much like to hear your thoughts a little more thought out. thank you for your response I do appreciate it.

Gtroc said:
Tikor said:

My 2c.
why is that? altering glorious solar saber due to one theoretical break(and to be honest it isn't all that broken when dealing with essence users), seems a bit extreme. as for incorporating the style bonus into a charm, I could see a solar coming up with a scene long charm that does something along those lines. however I do not think that one should change the nature of a martial art simply due to a potential abuse. so I would like to know your logic behind that statement. I may not be right, it has happened before, so I would very much like to hear your thoughts a little more thought out. thank you for your response I do appreciate it.
That isn’t the only break with glorious solar saber (or any other infinite rate attack).

Consider the infinite rate of glorious solar saber, infinite melee mastery and the second melee exelancy. As a melee 5 dex 4 solar I make 500 attacks against each enemy within reach of my blade. Each attack has 0 dice and 4 successes, the first couple miss but the onslaught penalties soon have me hitting, perfect defenses are pointless because nothing has the essence to perfect away that many attacks, assuming ping damage any target will be obliterated.

There are two defenses and one weakness to this strategy.

It can be defended against by a persistent defense such as bulwark stance, but these are not available to many of the enemies of the exalted (I haven’t seen them for gods, elementals, ghosts, demons, raksha, bemoths, hecotonkia or dragon blooded. Lunars I suspect miss out as well) there is also the issue that very few canonical NPCs have a persistent defense in there combos.

The second weakness is even more easily overcome. If a 4 net success attack wont penetrate hardness then you will do no damage. Of cause there is no reason for accuracy on the weapon so you just bump its damage ratting till your base damage with GSS is about 12. That should beet any hardness rating in the game.

The weakness is your own DV. If you use this attack against somebody with a persistent defense, or when not all enemies are within reach of your blade you have to accept the fact that your DV will be zero, unless however you have a persistent defenses that will negate your flurry penalty to DV bulwark stance will do this for solars, others that get infinite rate may have to rely on soak and perfects for an action.

Edward

I and I know others have pretty much ignored that as simply people attempting to rules lawyer into play something that A. serves no actual purpose to enrich the story through mechanics( or in spite of) and B. was never the intent of the mechanics used anyway. So I really don't factor that in personally.

Consider the infinite rate of glorious solar saber, infinite melee mastery and the second melee exelancy. As a melee 5 dex 4 solar I make 500 attacks against each enemy within reach of my blade. Each attack has 0 dice and 4 successes, the first couple miss but the onslaught penalties soon have me hitting, perfect defenses are pointless because nothing has the essence to perfect away that many attacks, assuming ping damage any target will be obliterated.
generally speaking I house rule this. the house rule is once you get to Zero, you can no longer buy successes. my main reason for this is not due to game breakage, but time management. if you get a stunt happy guy doing this he ends up describing the attacks for about six or seven times longer than the rest of the party. I really do not like shifting the spotlight toward one player that often. this situation has come up a few time in some of my games, where the PCs have a ridiculous number of attacks per flurry. the rest of the party gets bored waiting for there tick. but over all I have no problem mechanically with infinite rate, as quite honestly it really doesn't get in the way all that much. just my thoughts, I can be wrong.

While any GM would likely say that 500 attacks is far to many what should be the limit.

I personally set the limit on number of actions in a non magical flurry at the lowest stat + skill + specialization of any action in the flurry. (I discarded the idea of min one dice on every action in a flurry because of how it might interact with penalties)

The reason for having a rule isn’t so much to set it at the one point that is an acceptable max as to set an acceptable max that everybody knows about in advance, thus forestalling the argument as to exactly how many is reasonable that will come up when somebody try’s 25 attacks.

Edward

My limitation is that any action in a split must legally have at least one die in it or you cannot split that far. *shrugs* If the split would leave you with 0 or less dice in any of the actions in it, you cannot split that many ways.

I'm with Dracogryff on this one.

Besides, 500 actions is a bit absurd under any circumstances.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back