Gaming in the Bible Belt

Persell

Ten Thousand Club
I've currently been trying to find players for a new game since the end of August. August!!! What the hell, 2 months and I can't find any players!? Chattanooga is not exactly a small town (roughly 500,000 ppl in the area) so I'm not sure what the problem is. I've asked the owner of the local game shop to ask around, with no luck. I've even posted flyers around campus (Univ. of Tenn at Chattanooga) and still no luck!

Fucking Bible Belt!!

Okay, rant over....

Anybody else living in religiously conservative areas have this problem?

Gamers are a pretty insular lot. You might try checking your local library. I wouldn't have considered such a thing until I discovered that a couple of gamers have been meeting there for several years now. You might also need to branch out your geeking ways, so possibly get to know local Magic: the gathering players through tournaments or Warhammer players. I would personally be more likely to want to play a game with someone I know just the smallest amount as compared to a semi-anonymous posting. Best of luck to you.

Ahem...

Wichita suuuuuuuuuuucks for finding Exalted gamers.

World of Darkness, there are a few (unless you're looking for new WoD, then you're screwed).

D&D, there are hordes of potential players here.

Exalted? I've got four players and there was a fifth one, but he got mad when he couldn't best EM at power-gaming and quit playing over it.

I have not had any problems with gaming up in Lexington, KY. Quite the opposite, in fact.

The University of Kentucky has a large gaming club and we have plenty of games of different strokes (including Exalted). I doubt it's the Bible Belt giving you problems so much as the geography of the players.

I've currently been trying to find players for a new game since the end of August. August!!! What the hell, 2 months and I can't find any players!? Chattanooga is not exactly a small town (roughly 500,000 ppl in the area) so I'm not sure what the problem is. I've asked the owner of the local game shop to ask around, with no luck. I've even posted flyers around campus (Univ. of Tenn at Chattanooga) and still no luck!
Fucking Bible Belt!!

Okay, rant over....

Anybody else living in religiously conservative areas have this problem?
Welcome to my world. I've been trying to find some since 2005 outside Knoxville, pal. :P

Welcome to my world. I've been trying to find some since 2005 outside Knoxville' date=' pal. :P [/quote']
Okay, I actually shouted "Dammit!" in the computer lab I'm in when I saw that. You're close enough that I know where you're at, but too far to actually play. Grrr....

Malekith said:
Thats only a little over an hour isnt it? Recruit some peeps in the Athens area....wait, that would be even harder to do....
Two-and-a-half to three hours, buddy boy. I'm on the far side of Knoxville.

Yeah, took me right at 2 hours to get from Chattanooga to the far side of Knoxville last time I visited my sister.

Malekith said:
Thats only a little over an hour isnt it? Recruit some peeps in the Athens area....wait, that would be even harder to do....
Yeah, considering Athens is tiny and I'm having problems now.

Plus to cap it all off, my local game store may go under because of the economic climate! Grr....

Athens? Chattanooga? These are cities. You have nothing to complain about.

I live in Douglas, GA, pop. 11,413 and go to college in Americus, GA, pop. 17,013. I have problems finding D&D groups, and pretty much anything else is a lost cause.

I love Exalted dearly, but I can only indulge that love in PbP.

Now my first year of college I was up at a school in Ohio, near Dayton. There was some good gaming up there, really good. Wish I still had the money to attend.

You could always try recruiting your classmates. I've done that a few times with varying degrees of success.

heck i live in a city with at least 3 universities and numerous community colleges and about 3-4 gaming stores and it's still tricky to find players. mostly because everybody plays either Duds and Drag-ons or Vampire games where the characters just seem to have sex with everybody or cut themselves. (oh you

Me and my buddy were finally able to recruit some people to get a group of 3+ST to play exalted. one was a lifetime convert from D&D after she played a few games.

it'll happen, friend. you must perservere, and one day when you get your group together the Unconquered Sun shall Exalt you for it :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back