• If your recruitment thread involves completely going off site with your partner(s) then it belongs in the Off-Site Ad Area.
  • This area of the site is governed by the official Recruitment rules. Whether you are looking for players or looking for a roleplay, we recommend you read them and familiarize your self with them. Read the Recruitment Rules Here.

Realistic or Modern Fortune's Gambit: A Murder Mystery RP

Hell0NHighWater

Queen of Hell

Fortune's Gambit

scroll right

about tab

interest check

This movie is to die for

With no heir of her own, and dying of an incurable disease, Abernathy Cunningham is desperate to leave her multibillion dollar fortune to someone befitting of her family’s legacy. She’s used her wealth and experience to write, direct, and produce a movie–heavily inspired by the “Clue” board game–at Cunningham Castle. After spending a small fortune on private investigators, Lady Cunningham releases twelve invitations to prospective heirs and “actors”–all of whom have a pressing financial need.
While at the Castle these strangers, mysteriously linked by their circumstances, are offered a once in a lifetime opportunity to play a role in a murder mystery. They are told that if they can solve the murders, they’ll inherit the Cunningham fortune. But, there can only be one winner...

LIGHTS, CAMERA, MURDER!?

lore

Abernathy Cunningham, a billionaire heiress on her deathbed, comes from old money. Her family made its contemporary fortune in film, having been behind some of the most iconic and culturally relevant movies of all time. Famously, after being bestowed with a knight-ship and lordship, Sir Clyde Cunningham (Abernathy’s 11th great grandfather) received a castle at the junction of three sea lochs on the west coast of Scotland. It is rumored that Cunningham Castle is one of the oldest and most haunted places in Scotland. Over the centuries, the castle itself has expanded and contracted in size. The medieval castle was probably the largest, with towers and a curtain wall that encompassed nearly the entire island. The main keep stood on the island’s highest point. Around the end of the 14th century the area of the castle was reduced to about a fifth of its original size and, although the reason is unclear, it probably relates to the number of men required to defend the structure. In 1719 the castle was forcibly garrisoned by 46 Spanish soldiers. They had established a magazine of gunpowder, and were awaiting the delivery of weapons and cannon from Spain. The English Government caught wind of the intended uprising and sent three heavily armed frigates to resolve matters. The bombardment of the castle lasted three days, though met with limited success due to the enormity of the castle walls, which in some places are up to 14 feet thick. Finally, the English sent their soldiers ashore and overwhelmed the Spanish forces. Following the surrender, English troops discovered 343 barrels of gunpowder which was then used to blow up what had remained from the bombardment…

For the best part of 200 years, the stark ruins of Castle Cunningham lay neglected, abandoned and open to the elements, until John Cunningham (Abernathy’s 5th great uncle) dedicated the last 40 years of his life to rebuilding the property the family had neglected. The castle was rebuilt with some additions from John’s wife who was known for her love of the occult and her mental instability. Castle Cunningham was formally completed in July of 1932. More importantly, after WW2 the Cunningham family increased its net worth tenfold by directing and acting in movies during the “New Hollywood'' renaissance in the mid-1960s to the early 1980s. Holed up in the castle during air raids amidst World War II, Alastair Cunningham (Abernathy's 3rd great grandfather), the first in the family to be born in America, recalled the murder mystery games played by his relatives at the start of the War as well as the popular detective fiction stories of the time as his greatest inspiration for “A Murderous Envy”, a film released in 1967 that has since been considered lost media.

rules tab

rules

rule one
This is a mature, literate rp. Cussing and mature content is allowed (within reason). That being said, only members who are 18+ are eligible to participate. I’m sorry, but not sorry.

One-liners are strictly prohibited. We’re all writers here, looking to have fun and create a story together. I’m not asking for you to type a novella, though that's certainly welcome. Just give your fellow role-players something that they can respond to properly.

rule two
Please commit. This RP does NOT have a very long story-line and ideally I would love if we could finish it. In order to do that though, I would prefer people to post at least once per week. I get that life happens though so if it's going to take you a little longer to reply please let one of the GMs know. Also be aware that this RP will heavily feature discord (we might use it for purposes outside OOC chatter if RPN continues to be unstable).

rule three

Quality is valued over quantity. There are twelve (12) roles and you are welcome to apply for multiple roles, but when apps close we will take the best one out of any duplicates.

Please use realistic photos in your character sheet. If you don't want to include an image and would prefer to write your character description that's okay too as long as it's detailed. Gifs are not necessary, but they are encouraged. The gifs must be of your character’s face claim or a faceless gif. You are not required to use BBCode for your character applications as long as it contains the necessary information. If you want to use the same one as the GMs, the spoiler with the code will be in the CS thread.

vibes tab

moodboard

wordbank

conspiracy

mystery

thriller

cludeo

knives out

nancy drew

murder

scooby-doo

roles tab

roles

“There are certain crimes which the law cannot touch, and which, to some extent, justify private revenge.”

“There are certain crimes which the law cannot touch, and which, to some extent, justify private revenge.”

uxie ®

INTEREST CHECK
With no heir of her own, and dying of an incurable disease, Abernathy Cunningham is desperate to leave her multi-billion dollar fortune to someone befitting of her family’s legacy. She’s used her wealth and experience to write, direct, and produce a movie–heavily inspired by the “Clue” board game–at Cunningham Castle. After spending a small fortune on private investigators, Lady Cunningham releases twelve invitations to prospective heirs and “actors”–all of whom have a pressing financial need.
While at the Castle these strangers, mysteriously linked by their circumstances, are offered a once in a lifetime opportunity to play a role in a murder mystery. They are told that if they can solve the murders, they’ll inherit the Cunningham fortune. But, there can only be one winner...

LORE
Abernathy Cunningham, a billionaire heiress on her deathbed, comes from old money. Her family made its contemporary fortune in film, having been behind some of the most iconic and culturally relevant movies of all time. Famously, after being bestowed with a knight-ship and lordship, Sir Clyde Cunningham (Abernathy’s 11th great grandfather) received a castle at the junction of three sea lochs on the west coast of Scotland. It is rumored that Cunningham Castle is one of the oldest and most haunted places in Scotland. Over the centuries, the castle itself has expanded and contracted in size. The medieval castle was probably the largest, with towers and a curtain wall that encompassed nearly the entire island. The main keep stood on the island’s highest point. Around the end of the 14th century the area of the castle was reduced to about a fifth of its original size and, although the reason is unclear, it probably relates to the number of men required to defend the structure. In 1719 the castle was forcibly garrisoned by 46 Spanish soldiers. They had established a magazine of gunpowder, and were awaiting the delivery of weapons and cannon from Spain. The English Government caught wind of the intended uprising and sent three heavily armed frigates to resolve matters. The bombardment of the castle lasted three days, though met with limited success due to the enormity of the castle walls, which in some places are up to 14 feet thick. Finally, the English sent their soldiers ashore and overwhelmed the Spanish forces. Following the surrender, English troops discovered 343 barrels of gunpowder which was then used to blow up what had remained from the bombardment…

For the best part of 200 years, the stark ruins of Castle Cunningham lay neglected, abandoned and open to the elements, until John Cunningham (Abernathy’s 5th great uncle) dedicated the last 40 years of his life to rebuilding the property the family had neglected. The castle was rebuilt with some additions from John’s wife who was known for her love of the occult and her mental instability. Castle Cunningham was formally completed in July of 1932. More importantly, after WW2 the Cunningham family increased its net worth tenfold by directing and acting in movies during the “New Hollywood'' renaissance in the mid-1960s to the early 1980s. Holed up in the castle during air raids amidst World War II, Alastair Cunningham (Abernathy's 3rd great grandfather), the first in the family to be born in America, recalled the murder mystery games played by his relatives at the start of the War as well as the popular detective fiction stories of the time as his greatest inspiration for “A Murderous Envy”, a film released in 1967 that has since been considered lost media.

GMs: Hell0NHighWater Hell0NHighWater & BELIAL. BELIAL.

RULES
1.This is a mature, literate rp. Cussing and mature content is allowed (within reason). That being said, only members who are 18+ are eligible to participate. I’m sorry, but not sorry. One-liners are strictly prohibited. We’re all writers here, looking to have fun and create a story together. I’m not asking for you to type a novella, though that's certainly welcome. Just give your fellow role-players something that they can respond to properly.

2. Please commit. This RP does NOT have a very long story-line and ideally I would love if we could finish it. In order to do that though, I would prefer people to post at least once per week. I get that life happens though so if it's going to take you a little longer to reply please let one of the GMs know. Also be aware that this RP will heavily feature discord (we might use it for purposes outside OOC chatter if RPN continues to be unstable).

3. Quality is valued over quantity. There are twelve (12) roles and you are welcome to apply for multiple roles, but when apps close we will take the best one out of any duplicates. Please use realistic photos in your character sheet. If you don't want to include an image and would prefer to write your character description that's okay too as long as it's detailed. Gifs are not necessary, but they are encouraged. The gifs must be of your character’s face claim or a faceless gif. You are not required to use BBCode for your character applications as long as it contains the necessary information. If you want to use the same one as the GMs, the spoiler with the code will be in the CS thread.

ROLES

“THE LOVER” - Young, cunning, unconventional, and highly attractive, THE LOVER is the femme fatale–known for playing with people’s heartstrings in order to get what she wants. This role has some type of relationship with THE WORLD.
Rumors:
  • THE LOVER had a child out of wedlock.
  • Xx
  • xx

(inspired by Miss Scarlett)

“THE EMPEROR” - A great hunter, decorated sportsman, and avid survivalist. A real daredevil, THE EMPEROR is the type to take things to the extreme. This role has some type of relationship with THE EMPRESS.
Rumors:
  • THE EMPEROR is a fraud and a cheat whose achievements were won not through his own merit but someone else’s.
  • Xx
  • Xx
(inspired by Colonel Mustard)

“THE EMPRESS” - A neurotic, but wise middle-aged to older woman. THE EMPRESS is a shrewd business woman and is uninterested in anything that isn’t profitable. This role has some type of relationship with THE EMPEROR.
Rumors:
  • THE EMPRESS killed her husband after finding out about his affair(s), but she wasn’t named in the will so she stands to lose everything.
  • Xx
  • Xx
(inspired by Mrs. White)

“THE HIEROPHANT” - a hypocritical priest/theologian whose moral teachings weaken when it comes to the 6th commandment, murder. This role has some type of relationship with THE HIGH PRIESTESS.
Rumors:
  • THE HIEROPHANT did time in prison for driving while intoxicated and killing a child.
  • Xx
  • Xx
(Inspired by Mr/Rev Green)

“THE HIGH PRIESTESS” - A grande dame, pious and charitable, who maintains her dignity in almost all situations. This role has some type of relationship with THE HIEROPHANT.
Rumors:
  • THE HIGH PRIESTESS is a chain smoking lesbian with a gambling problem.
  • Xx
  • Xx
(inspired by Mrs. Peacock)

“THE HERMIT” - A quick witted professor and intellectual with a closet full of skeletons. This role has some type of relationship with THE HANGED MAN.
Rumors:
  • THE HERMIT is allegedly involved in a series of misconduct violations and misallocation of department funds.
  • Xx
  • Xx
(Inspired by Professor Plum)

“THE STAR” - Sweeter than peach Southern belle, her character is usually one who manipulates others using her debutante, innocent charm. This role has some type of relationship with THE MOON.
Rumors:
  • A rich daddy’s girl, THE STAR has used her family’s connections and money to propel her career in Hollywood through any means necessary.
  • Xx
  • Xx
(Inspired by Miss Peach)

“THE HANGED MAN” - A foreign con-man who can never maintain a straight story, his alibis are thinner than water; but he can always get out of a sticky situation. This role has some type of relationship with THE HERMIT.
Rumors:
  • THE HANGED MAN makes money off stolen art.
  • Xx
  • Xx
(inspired by M. Brunette).

“THE WORLD” - A woman of captive interest, elusive and shrouded in mystery, she is a self-proclaimed fortune teller. The question is whether she predicted the murder, or caused it? This role has some type of relationship with THE LOVER.
Rumors:
  • THE WORLD is well-known in certain circles for her predictions and sleuthing abilities, although many family members of the victims she claims to have found say that she does more harm than good.
  • Xx
  • Xx
(Inspired by Madame Rose)

“THE DEVIL” - A war veteran and businessman, THE DEVIL is a corrupt political figure. His abidance to the law is questionable. He is usually a man both dignified, dapper and dangerous. This role has some type of relationship with THE SUN.
Rumors:
  • THE DEVIL deals in blackmail.
  • Xx
  • Xx
(Inspired by Sgt. Gray)

“THE SUN” - An undercover honest cop. This role has some type of relationship with THE DEVIL.
Rumors:
  • All work and no play makes THE SUN a dull boy. Too bad his addictions tend to land him in hot water and this assignment might be his last.
  • Xx
  • Xx
(Inspired by The Inspector)

“THE MOON” - is an undercover journalist. This role has some type of relationship with THE STAR.
Rumors:
  • THE MOON has a nose for mystery and an ear for lies. They are constantly caught between the stories they want to uncover and the ones they are forced to keep buried.
  • Xx
  • Xx

I'm also interested~
I wonder what it says about me but I'd love to play as THE HIEROPHANT out of all...

Hanged Man?

I'm also interested~
I wonder what it says about me but I'd love to play as THE HIEROPHANT out of all...
giphy.gif

It says that you're down to 🤡 and I'm so here for it

FYI we're almost done setting up the discord. I'll drop the link here once a few more people express interest.

Yeah, I don't have Discord either. Sucks.

Sorry folks, but thank you nonetheless for your interest <3333 yall are great

CS page is up! Let us know if you have any questions <3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back