Flaws of Invincibility: They're Boring!

Courts of law are generally dictatorial. The judge has absolute authority to interpret the law, especially in civil cases where there's no jury so the judge is also deciding on the facts in evidence. This system works fairly well because of the law as a basis, and the presupposition of the judges as honorable - thus the term of address, "your honor."
That'd be a better analogy if false conviction statistics where better than they are.

I think that having players design an individual flaw for their perfect defenses is my favorite choice so far. It makes the flaw fitting for the individual and if it's build out of the player's ruling virtue that it plays into what their character is going to be doing anyway. I especially like the use of a surcharge rather than an outright denial of charm use.

That'd be a better analogy if false conviction statistics where better than they are.
http://www.caught.net/innoc.htm as an example - It isn't the judges' fault, in most cases. False convictions are most often due to misconduct on the police/prosecution side. False acquittals are usually due to defense misconduct. That's what the statistics show, if you examine more closely.

I have never used flaws of invulnerability, and rarely had a problem related to the choice. Just to qualify, my 2e game, which we converted from 1e when 2e was first released, has been ongoing for almost 5 years and the PCs are Essence 6-7. There are plenty of perfects running around, but I have always just let them be perfect and I've noticed one thing about it: They are expensive! My players are always trying to strike a balance between defense, attack, and mote efficiency...and that's a good way to think. It may seen like ignoring the Flaws makes combat lopsided and monotonous, chipping through mote pools and then being the first to land an attack against a non-perfect defense. This is not the case. What actually happens is everyone puts an extra-action charm in their super-kill combo, and everyone respects the power of an essence-fueled flurry. It saves me doing a bunch of homework to contrive ill-fitting encounters, and it saves time that might be spent arguing over what Flaws are in effect. If I can get rid of all that by accepting that more attacks will be rolled during the course of a battle, I'll take it.

IanPrice said:
http://www.caught.net/innoc.htm as an example - It isn't the judges' fault, in most cases. False convictions are most often due to misconduct on the police/prosecution side. False acquittals are usually due to defense misconduct. That's what the statistics show, if you examine more closely.
I agree entirely false convictions are largely due to problems in an accussed defense.

I was going to do a little rant about your analogy but it occurred to me I was thinking only of criminal judges and you clearly mention civil cases. So, I apologise, your analogy is really spot on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back