First pass through the Roll of Glorious Divinity

Skeptic Tank

So, I managed to get a copy of BOSIV:ROGD (which is a mouthful) a little early, thought I'd send out some of my impressions.

There are four primary chapters, covering an overview of the terrestrial bureaucracy, the gods within, an overview of the elemental courts, and the elementals within that.

The overview chapters spend a good deal of time with the psychology of gods and elementals - How do they think differently from humans, being ageless beings who feel little discomfort? Why do gods find it easier to pursue sorcery than other skills possessed by non-gods? What do gods and elementals think of fair folk, demons, and each other? While much of this material has been given bit by bit in numerous other sources, I greatly enjoyed having it all laid out and spelled clearly.

They also go into which parts of a god are mutable, and which parts are permanent. We know that gods who are born to a specific nature will be unable to change it, but we also know some gods change forms and desires between stations. It gives few absolute, clear-cut answers, but at least addresses the issue and has us think about it.

They also deal with the history of the bureaucracy, ranging from before the Primordial War to the present day, and gives a much better sense of why there is so much corruption (especially when contrasted with the nature of the bureaucracy before the War).

The majority of the book is made of the stat blocks for various generic and specific terrestrial gods and elementals, as well as a big appendix covering all the spirit charms. Many of the beings we have written up were found in previous 1E sources (like Burning Feather, Lady of Intoxicants), but we have plenty of new additions as well (such as Rabszolga, God of Slaves), and interesting takes on existing gods (I think the writeup for Grandmother Bright was fascinatingly different than I expected).

Overall, I'm quite happy with this book. And not just because my two primary campaigns are coming up to their very first on-camera Calibration festival   :D

I think one question that needs to be answered is this...

Are there Demons and the Yozi Princes in there?

Obviously, not in that book. :P

Does the book include spirit/god charms that have not been detailed in other books?

I might not have quite grasped the spirit of the book, but it seems to be a hundred pages spent discussing metaphysics (and some stats, ok...) that has little or no use in game.

Eh.  I was hoping for some Charms for the Solar and Abyssal multi-classers to be able to use.

There are plenty of charms in here, and many of them appear new to me. I don't recall seeing Paper Tiger Arrangement or Wine of Infinite Heartbreak in any 1E sources.

gist of what some charms can do?

Im wanting to create spirits that can be taken down by properly prepared thaumatages...

Play a Sidereal game and see how little use it has.
I've been waiting for this book for just this reason.  Husband's running me a Sidereal game, and this supplement is going to be invaluable for it.

The white wolf official site has an excerpt from the 1st ed game of divinities with spirit charms in it if your just trying to get ideas of powers.  There isn't any mass combat charms but it will get you thinking about the type of powers spirits have.

The Yozis and demons will be covered in the next book of the series, if I remember correctly.

Hope to pick it up from my own game store today, but two questions?

1)  Is the celestial bureaucracy covered here, or with Yozis et al in the next book.

2)  Is 'roll' as opposed to 'role' yet another WW typo (WW double talk aside)?

No, it is not a White Wolf typo.

Roll: A register, catalogue, or list of people (See also roster)

In this case a catalogue or list of Divinities. Such often include more than simply listing such, kind of like this should give mechanical and story information on a variety of spirits.

Additionally, a reference to a scroll.

Yakumo said:
1)  Is the celestial bureaucracy covered here, or with Yozis et al in the next book.
The Celestial Bureaucracy got some fairly indepth coverage in MoEP:Sidereals. Full chapter, just like 1E, and framework for audits and censer.

Ah, thank you both.  Bought the Sid book with the divinities book, so I'll be getting to it.

Okay, with that definition of roll, it does make sense.  Though I'm sure WW is aware of the Roll Playing pun it brings to mind as well.

Speaking of spelling mistakes... it seems there is a lot, maybe all, that have the real book, where the title is "Roll of Glorious Divininty" and not "Roll of Glorious Divinity" as it should have been.

... Goddamn I want to get my hands on this book!

Yakumo said:
1)  Is the celestial bureaucracy covered here' date=' or with Yozis et al in the next book.[/quote']The Celestial Bureaucracy got some fairly indepth coverage in MoEP:Sidereals. Full chapter, just like 1E, and framework for audits and censer.
If there's going to be any more on that subject, I'm guessing it will be in the Yu-Shan book.

Hah!  I missed the actual typo (my copy has the 'divininty' typo) for the 'roll' thing.  

The pic at the site has a correct spelling, so don't know if it's going to be only a few or across the board.

so far i thought the book is pretty interesting

im sure its just me but also it seemed to spend alot of time on elementals

and not that i dislike elementals i was just hoping for some more celestial UNIQUE gods

but some of the new gods they did introduce such as the mountain boy are interesting, specially his end of an age Essence Influx

Users who are viewing this thread

Back